What's new

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019) Non-Spoilers! (2 Viewers)

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
I'm hoping we'll get some new footage at the D23 presentation in Anaheim later this month. Seems like the perfect time to drop another teaser trailer at least.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
New One Sheet:
ECwE_nmU0AAQBMs.jpg

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Yeah... it does look a bit off at first, but focus more on his upper lip and cheeks, and it starts to look more like him. I think the lighting angle coming from below, and his nose, is what looks odd on him.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That is one cool poster. Placing Palpatine so central to the marketing in the poster seems designed to give the impression that he will have a large role.

I trust the filmmakers, but I really hope that this is more focused on concluding things with the new generation of characters we've come to know and love rather than dragging things back in that were resolved in the first two trilogies.

We'll see how it goes.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I can’t see sh**t on this poster.
I thought it was Kylo because of the sword.

Edit: Ok, I know now what you mean, Palpi is in the back. Didn’t see that at first. :lol:

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Really looking forward to this film; I definitely hope Palpatine is back. After all the hints, it will be a huge let-down if he doesn't make an appearance in the movie. Kylo Ren is an OK villain, but I felt Snoke was weak, visually uninteresting - and too easily defeated in TLJ. Also, bringing back Palpatine would be a nice homage/nod to the PT & the OT.

As to how Palpatine "survived" Darth Vader's throwing him down the DS shaft in ROTJ, I'm sure they'll come up with something. Cloning was used as a reason/explanation in the Star Wars: Dark Empire comics (Dark Horse; 1991-1993) as a reason for his resurrection - so, not sure that would also be used in the films.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I definitely hope Palpatine is back. After all the hints, it will be a huge let-down if he doesn't make an appearance in the movie.

He is absolutely in it. They confirmed this at Star Wars Celebration when McDiarmind came out after they played the trailer. Also, they used his laugh in the trailer, and he's all over that poster. If he weren't in it, they wouldn't be promoting his presence so heavily.

I felt Snoke was weak, visually uninteresting - and too easily defeated in TLJ.

I thought Snoke being killed was one of the best things about The Last Jedi, and that movie is filled with things I love. It shifted Kylo Ren to the position of being the big bad in charge, instead of being subservient to a master, which was a great way to shake things up. Not even Darth Vader was ever actually "the guy." This is new narrative territory for Star Wars, and the idea of Kylo being the one they're fighting is really compelling to me. It demonstrates big growth from his character, and raises the stakes for all the characters. However, my worry is that in bringing back Palpatine and (apparently) making him a central focus, they're just going to essentially replace Snoke with him, and Kylo Ren will retread into the supporting position.

Cloning was used as a reason/explanation in the Star Wars: Dark Empire comics (Dark Horse; 1991-1993) as a reason for his resurrection - so, not sure that would also be used in the films.

Officially, the comics from the '90s were thrown out of canon when Disney started the new trilogy along with the other expanded universe material up to that point. However, if the filmmakers really like something in there, they certainly have the option to reuse it or adapt it into the narrative of the new film in a different way. Disney does own all of that stuff and can pull from it however they see fit.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, thought I’d chime in. I’m by no means a big fan of these new Star Wars films from Disney. But I do like them to a certain level and I’ve enjoyed watching them. And I know Star Trek lore much more then Star Wars lore, so I am not at any level to know all the subtle details. I’ve been rewatching The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi the last two weekends. I think I still like TFA more then TLJ. Some things seemed off in the second film though. In the light of the Palpatine news, I’ve wondered why and how does he come back. In the Prequels, Palpatine does seduce Anakin with his knowledge of the Dark Side and how a former, Sith Master was so afraid of losing power, he found a way to defeat death as I recall. I’ll have to rewatch that film to remind myself of the specifics. So it occurred to me that Snoke’s easy demise could have been the work of a higher power. If Palpatine survived, then he might have known the secret of the other Sith Lord for immortality and is the controlling force behind engineering Kylo’s Path and helped him defeat Snoke. That’s my guess based on that new trailer.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
He is absolutely in it. They confirmed this at Star Wars Celebration when McDiarmind came out after they played the trailer. Also, they used his laugh in the trailer, and he's all over that poster. If he weren't in it, they wouldn't be promoting his presence so heavily.

If he is that prominent in the new film, the impact of the showdown between Vader/Luke, and the fate of the Emperor will be drastically diminished in my opinion. I am a firm believer that you should not tool with classic films, especially the most powerful moments in them. Just don't do it.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Perhaps the nature of the Force was altered by the work of Darth Plagueis and Sidious, making possible the “Force ghost” ability. Qui-Gon Jinn stumbled over this and then communicated directly to Yoda, who then mastered the technique and passed it to Obi-Wan and Luke Skywalker. As for Anakin, he learned it from his master as Darth Vader, but alas someone consumed by the Dark Side (Sidious or Vader) was unable to use this ability — but someone who turned back to the Light Side, or perhaps straddled both sides and provided a spiritual assist to the Dark Side spirit, could.

Just thinking how they could double-talk their way through this shit. Force ghosts were left profoundly unexplained to this point, and I suppose they will go as far as having a dead character literally “step through” their ghostly force into reality and then cackle.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps the nature of the Force was altered by the work of Darth Plagueis and Sidious, making possible the “Force ghost” ability. Qui-Gon Jinn stumbled over this and then communicated directly to Yoda, who then mastered the technique and passed it to Obi-Wan and Luke Skywalker. As for Anakin, he learned it from his master as Darth Vader, but alas someone consumed by the Dark Side (Sidious or Vader) was unable to use this ability — but someone who turned back to the Light Side, or perhaps straddled both sides and provided a spiritual assist to the Dark Side spirit, could.

Just thinking how they could double-talk their way through this shit. Force ghosts were left profoundly unexplained to this point, and I suppose they will go as far as having a dead character literally “step through” their ghostly force into reality and then cackle.

I think that is the problem. Some of these things were made to be special, have a mystical quality to them. If they "explain away" odd events, and force them under a microscope, the magic is gone, and the canon of the overall story arc is blemished.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I think that is the problem. Some of these things were made to be special, have a mystical quality to them. If they "explain away" odd events, and force them under a microscope, the magic is gone, and the canon of the overall story arc is blemished.

*See "Midi-chlorians"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks