1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by SamT, Feb 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Message #621 of 656 May 4, 2019
    Last edited: May 4, 2019
    Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    What happened to that one was the unflattering drama of what stories to use for 7-9. There was a difference of opinion, it was pretty ugly, to say the least, and the book was scrapped. There were also other unsightly problems with that production in terms of battles over "irrational writing" that wouldn't shine the best light on pre-production or production. Lots of actors were asking, "Why is my character saying/doing this?" That's never good, because it points to larger systemic problems.

Edit: Happy ending, though. Rinzler wrote a great book on THE MAKING OF THE PLANET OF THE APES and has another one coming out on THE MAKING OF ALIEN, which there is no reason to believe won't be superb as well. So his loss to Star Wars is still movie fans' gain.

Mrs. Carab and Sam Favate like this.
  2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I love how the three covers play together: The Art of The Force Awakens had Kylo Ren on the cover, The Art of The Last Jedi had Rey on the cover. The Art of The Rise of Skywalker has both of them on the cover in opposition to one another.

I think it was more that he ditched the mask because Snoke ordered him to, and now that he's killed Snoke it's his declaration that he's his own man. We'll find out in December.

Tim Glover, Jake Lipson and SamT like this.
  3. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    holtge, Tim Glover, TravisR and 2 others like this.
  4. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    [​IMG]

5. Message #625 of 656 May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
    SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, The Ultimate Preview

[​IMG]

As is tradition, the first look photos for the new Star Wars movie, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, have arrived online courtesy of Vanity Fair!

After four decades, Star Wars is drawing to its epic conclusion. Lev Grossman goes behind the scenes with director J.J. Abrams and the cast for the inside scoop on The Rise of Skywalker. With exclusive photographs by Annie Leibovitz.

6. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    [​IMG]

7. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    [​IMG]

8. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    [​IMG]

TravisR, Adam Lenhardt and dpippel like this.
  9. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    First look at Keri Russell's character, Zorri Bliss:

[​IMG]

TravisR and Adam Lenhardt like this.
  10. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    More Vanity Fair Annie Leibovitz photos, including some behind the scenes stuff:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Some interesting tidbits from that story:
    • The sequence in the trailer where Rey leaps backwards over and onto Kylo Ren's fighter was largely shot on location in Jordan’s Wadi Rum desert, which is a real location and not a CG landscape. The sequence is set on the planet Pasaana.
    • We'll finally get to see the Knights of Ren in more than just brief Force visions.
    • There's a new planet Kijimi, and it snows there.
    • The Rise of Skywalker picks up about a year after the Battle of Crait.
    • Rey, Finn, and Poe all share scenes together.
    • There’s a tiny one-wheeled droid called D-O and a large banana-slug alien named Klaud.
    • “Working on nine, I found myself approaching it slightly differently,” [J.J. Abrams] says. “Which is to say that, on seven, I felt beholden to Star Wars in a way that was interesting—I was doing what to the best of my ability I felt Star Wars should be.” But this time something changed. Abrams found himself making different choices—for the camera angles, the lighting, the story. “It felt slightly more renegade; it felt slightly more like, you know, Fuck it, I’m going to do the thing that feels right because it does, not because it adheres to something.”
    • "Because we’ve been here before, watching a band of scrappy rebels take down a technofascist empire, and it seemed to work fine at the time—but it didn’t last. The same goes for the Jedi and their struggle with the Sith. To end this story, really end it, they’re going to have to figure out the conditions of a more permanent victory over the forces of darkness."
    Abrams calls the process of digging out Fisher’s performance a “bizarre kind of left side/right side of the brain sort of Venn diagram thing, of figuring out how to create the puzzle based on the pieces we had.” The Rise of Skywalker team wrote scenes around the existing Fisher footage, and shot other angles, matched lighting, and put together a finished product “as if we were doing a re-shoot and doing someone’s side, which happens all the time.”

Richard E.Grant is playing Allegiant General Pryde.

Writer Chris Terrio, Anthony Daniels said, “has steeped himself in the lore of old Star Warsand has come out of it almost like an original draftsman from those early days.” So those looking for a flavor of the original trilogy to go hand-in-hand with the new generation should keep their eyes on Daniels—even if they can’t see his face under that 3PO mask.

holtge, Jake Lipson, SamT and 2 others like this.
  12. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Disney must be treated well by the locals there in terms of cooperation with the film crews, etc. Aladdin also shot some footage on location there. Perhaps the good experience they had on Aladdin (which finished shooting in January 2018) convinced them they could go back for Rise of Skywalker. I know Aladdin and Star Wars come from separate divisions of Disney, but still.

Good.

Well, it was permanent last time. Then Disney bought Lucasfilm. ;)

13. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

On June 1, UC Santa Barbara hosted a moderated conversation with editor Maryann Brandon about the 2009 Star Trek. Brandon has worked with J.J. Abrams since "Alias" in 2001, so the topic of Rise of Skywalker came up around the 24 minute mark:

"It was funny, on Star Wars, Daisy -- Daisy Ridley -- got to know me really well, and she's like, 'I know you're going to save my ass.' And I was like, 'You're very smart.' [Laughs]

"But, I did this thing on cutting Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, and I -- we have a very short schedule 'cause we, when we did Force Awakens, we started in May and we finished shooting in October, and we were out in Christmas. And this film, we didn't start shooting until August, and so we weren't done until February shooting, and so we have like, four-five-six months less time and it's a very big film so I convinced J.J. to let me cut on the set.

"And he was like, 'No, we never do that.' And I was like, 'Just try it,' because I had to start turning over shots and things so I was on the set the entire time. And he got so used to it, he was like, 'You need to be less than ten feet away from me at all times.' So if the camera would move ten feet, my whole -- I moved ten feet. I mean, I was everywhere -- outside, and a water tank.

"There was this great moment where I'm sitting there cutting, and I'm in the headphones and I'm cutting, and my assistant's walking towards me and she's laughing, laughing, laughing and she goes, 'Turn around, turn around.' I turn around, and Kylo Ren in full mask and cape is sitting on an apple box just over me like this. [Laughs] He's like, 'Do you mind if I watch?' [Laughs]

"So on this film, I got to know the cast really well; I was literally part of the crew. And, you know, I got to know the gaffers and obviously I know the DP but I got to know the whole crew. It was really great for me, it was really great -- I would be watching what they were shooting, I was cutting what they shot the day before, I had the DP right there to ask questions; he could ask me questions. If I needed a shot, or J.J. and I decided we need another shot, we would literally set up in a corner and do some green screen shot of something.

"And it just -- getting to know the cast and having them be comfortable with me, it was a really great way to understand and know what they were going for -- and without even having a big discussion about it. So, I'm a big fan of -- you know, I always love whoever's in the film because that's my process: I like to fall in love with them so when I cut them everything is about the best of them."
    The prequels, TFA, and TLJ all made use of pretty extensive reshoots to get the missing pieces that were identified in post-production. Because of all of the false starts with Carrie Fisher passing away and then Colin Trevorrow departing the picture, it sounds like they didn't have that luxury this time around. I'll be interested to see how the different process affects what we see in the final product.

joshEH, Tim Glover, holtge and 2 others like this.
  14. johnnybear

johnnybear Stunt Coordinator

John
    You can keep Kylo Ren, I want to see Darth Vader in some form or another again!
    JB

15. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Why

16. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
  17. johnnybear

johnnybear Stunt Coordinator

John
    Why? Because Darth Vader was a damn interesting character and Ren isn't for starters plus Star Wars is really his story! Vader is Lucas's version of Doctor Doom as well and i've always been a big Fantastic Four fan!
    JB

18. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    You seriously have the most bonkers posts :)

joshEH and Tino like this.
  19. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Vader’s story is done. Get over it. :rolleyes:

20. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Bonkers isn’t the word I would use. ;)