What's new

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019) Non-Spoilers! (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I agree. I’ve enjoyed the past ten years of Marvel films, but the story I’m invested in has had a beginning, middle and soon will have an end.

I’m open to at least seeing solo films that continue the stories of characters I’ve enjoyed during those ten years, but less interested in climbing on board for another extended journey with a new set of fresh faces. But that’s fine. A whole new generation of moviegoers will take my place and will feel the same ownership over the next set of films that I feel over the earlier set. Circle of life and all that jazz :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Right, I think it's a good time for me to break away from Marvel and Star Wars films. That doesn't mean I won't watch future films from those two movie franchises. However, I won't be there opening night nor standing out in the cold temperatures waiting on the movie theater to open like I will be this December to see these future films. Those days are gone for me after Endgame and The Rise of Skywalker.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’ve had so many unpleasant experiences in recent years going to the movies that I’ve been thinking for a while that Endgame and Rise Of Skywalker were going to be something of an end for me as well.

I’m not saying that I’ll never go to a theater again. But these days, going to the theater ends up being more stressful than fun too frequently. In another thread, I was writing a list of every trip to the theaters I took this year and realized there’s been some issue at each and every visit ranging from minor nuisance to life threatening. And unlike my childhood, we can now get amazing quality copies of movies to watch at home, and it only takes two or three months to go from theaters to home viewing instead of one or two years.

But if this winds up being the end of regular moviegoing for me, going out with a Star Wars movie seems a pretty nice way to go out.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
You don't remember that incident that Josh had with that guy who threaten him?

No. Maybe i missed that post.

Edit: Yep, I did miss that post. @Josh Steinberg, that is absolutely nuts. Thank you for pointing it out to me. You'd think, especially after incidents like Aurora, the theater would do something about that. There is language on the back of the ticket stubs reserving the theater the right to kick you out if you don't behave properly, although I've never actually seen anyone get evicted. If ever there was a case for them to do that, this seems like it. Did you ever hear back from AMC in regards to this?

(I'm getting really tired now, so I'm going to head off for tonight -- which I've been trying to do for the last several minutes but I keep getting roped back in by new post alerts -- so you might not hear from me until tomorrow -- but if you want to discuss this further, we can do so tomorrow. PM me if you like -- I don't want to derail this thread.)

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
That question was asked by The Force Awakens and completely answered in The Last Jed. Her parents are no one significant. Asked and answered. Done and done. It would not bother me one iota if J.J. never addresses her paternity in The Rise of Skywalker.
Nope. I don’t agree with this at all Jake. Suggested perhaps but not definitive imo.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Nope. I don’t agree with this at all Jake. Suggested perhaps but not definitive imo.

Exactly - there's a difference between a character believing something, and that something being objectively true. We know that Rey believes this; we have been given absolutely no objective evidence one way or the other to determine if it is actually true. Therefore, anything that Abrams does in IX can't be a retcon, because nothing from the previous films is undone by a new revelation.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Exactly - there's a difference between a character believing something, and that something being objectively true. We know that Rey believes this; we have been given absolutely no objective evidence one way or the other to determine if it is actually true. Therefore, anything that Abrams does in IX can't be a retcon, because nothing from the previous films is undone by a new revelation.

Even more exactly. :)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I agree. I’ve enjoyed the past ten years of Marvel films, but the story I’m invested in has had a beginning, middle and soon will have an end.

I’m open to at least seeing solo films that continue the stories of characters I’ve enjoyed during those ten years, but less interested in climbing on board for another extended journey with a new set of fresh faces. But that’s fine. A whole new generation of moviegoers will take my place and will feel the same ownership over the next set of films that I feel over the earlier set. Circle of life and all that jazz :)

Please tell me you'll continue watching on blu-ray. You can't break up the Josh band!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Today at Disney World, I took my kids to meet Chewbacca and Kylo Ren (yesterday was B.B.-8). We asked Chewie if he could tell us anything about Episode IX. He just growled. I asked Kylo Ren and he stopped in his tracks and said “You’d better watch what you ask. And to whom.” Then he pointed to the door. It was all in good fun.

Yesterday some Stormtroopers were walking around the park, and saw me with one of my sons and said, in general, “Greetings, citizens of the New Order. “ So, being a smartass, I said “Oh yeah, where are your papers?” One of them stopped, turned to me and said “Really? Are we going to do this?” He paused a second and said, “we’ll take it under advisement.”

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I once saw a grumpy looking father getting a “ticket” from Disney “police” for appearing insufficently happy. He then received a second ticket for not taking the first one seriously. I don’t think I’ve ever seen kids laugh so hard.

johnnybear

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
It's sad that we'll probably never get to see Darth Maul again in a Star Wars prequel/sequel as Solo bombed! Unless he appears in the mooted Obi Kenobi film/TV series!
JB

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
It's sad that we'll probably never get to see Darth Maul again in a Star Wars prequel/sequel as Solo bombed! Unless he appears in the mooted Obi Kenobi film/TV series!
JB

Well, if it's any consolation, Rise of Skywalker continues that fine tradition of Sith falling into holes, being presumed dead and coming back.

It's a shame that Snoke didn't fall into a hole as he was being cut in half. Could have saved his life! :D

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I thought Darth Maul was the weakest silliest villain in all the Star Wars films. Good riddance...I hope.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Is this some kind of prequel to the first two in this last trilogy? Thanks to Rian Johnson's terrible movie, Skywalker is "dead". How is there any "rise" other than as a fable?

johnnybear

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Disney have spoilt the Star Wars movies by bringing both Darth Maul and now the Emperor himself back! Or so we're being told! Maul was clearly killed by being cut in half by Obi Kenobi's Lightsabre and the Emperor was killed by good old Darth Vader in Return of The Jedi!!! So although I do enjoy seeing old villains coming back I feel these points cheapen the original movie's endings no end!
JB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks