What's new

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019) Non-Spoilers! (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Well anyway.

The preview was great.
It has me very excited about the movie.
And that title has me hopping.
Speaking of titles maybe we can update the title of this topic.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It's important to note that those flashbacks shouldn't be taken literally. They're (respectively) Kylo Ren's memory of that moment, and Luke's memory of that moment. They're similar but different. I don't think it ever in reality got beyond a momentary thought.
I completely agree. And this is a big part of my point. We never see an "objective" telling of what happened. So this makes the lack of motivation on Luke's part even worse for me.
I think it's a misrepresentation to go from that to saying that Hamill present-tense is against the entirety of Luke in The Last Jedi.
It's pretty clear to me that Mark Hamill was very unhappy about how Luke was largely ignored in VII and motivated so shallowly in VIII. One only has to watch his interviews before and after the films' releases. Granted, he tried to change his tune when reminded about his non-disparagement clause, but his tone and attitude has remained consistent all along. He's disappointed in the way Luke was handled in VII and VIII, and that disappointment comes straight from lack of screen time to dramatize Luke's motivation.
The structure of the Saga films simply does not allow for this; they exist in the present tense.
This is true and not true. If Johnson had started VIII with the Kylo/Luke falling out, then that would be present tense. It never had to be a flashback at all.
I think this is the crux of the differing perspectives. You wanted The Last Jedi to reflect the Luke you've carried in your head for the last however many decades. Johnson only owed an allegiance to what we actually saw in the previous movies that featured him.
If you read my posts carefully, I've said I have no problem, theoretically, with Luke falling. I've even said it could make Luke more interesting and more believable. But that presupposes that the writer has the chops to motivate that fall believably.
Yes, he got too dogmatic about it.
Yes, and that remains my exact problem. For me and many others his dogmatic behavior wasn't believable because it wasn't convincingly motivated given the large body of what we know about Luke that came before.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
So happy JJ is back. I liked TLJ but I wish JJ directed all three.

You're not the only one. But I hated the Force Awakens, and it will take an awful lot to get me to see "The Rise of Skywalker" in the theater as this trailer did nothing for me. "The Last Jedi" was brilliant, and most likely will be the only thing I end up caring for out of this trilogy.

I wish Rian Johnson had done all three. To me he is a much better writer/director than JJ.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
To me the greatest moment in these Star Wars films was when Vader turned on the Emperor. I can remember the movie audiences going nuts at that moment.

I still remember the impact it had on me as a 10 year old watching it in the theater. How could such a terrifying character turn good? I was in shock, and one of the main reasons ROTJ is still my favorite SW film.

Mrs. Carab

Auditioning
Real Name
Jo Anna
The thing I absolutely love about TLJ is what Johnson did with The Force. The way I took it, the elitism of being a Skywalker didn't matter. You could be an obscure stable boy and still the Force could be with you. I thought that was a beautiful thing Johnson did--getting away from the idea that it had to be all about the Skywalkers. The Force is for all of us.

As much as I love the trailer, the title of IX and the shot of Kylo wielding the helmet make me wonder if IX will undo parts of VIII the way a lot of people thought VIII undid parts of VII.

Here's hoping IX is a great movie to end the saga! The trailer was certainly great. But that's all I'm watching until I see the movie in the theater. :)

Last edited:

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Here are my two predictions:
  1. Rey, having no last name (because her parents abandoned her), adopts the name "Skywalker" OR
  2. Rey starts a new order--something "in between" the Jedi and the Sith--and calls it the "Skywalkers".

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...planning-decade-movies-rise-skywalker-1201761

"We are looking at the next saga. We are not just looking at another trilogy, we're really looking at the next 10 years or more," Kennedy said....

“When Kathy called and asked if I’d be interested in coming aboard this movie, I was surprised by how emotional I felt about it,” Abrams told THR. “I didn’t expect to feel the way I did, and the opportunity to finish the story we started was something I couldn’t resist.”

The Rise of Skywalker isn’t just the end of the story started in The Force Awakens; it’s also the end of the nine-movie cycle started with 1977’s original movie. Abrams described trying to tie everything together as “this crazy challenge,” but believes that the movie will satisfy the demands placed upon it.

“The beauty of working with [co-writer] Chris Terrio and producing with Kathleen Kennedy is that I think we have found a way — I hope, it’s up for you to decide — to bring this story to a conclusion ...."

More at the link.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
The title is great, but yeah very different and will take getting used to.

There are so many ways it can go. Heck, technically speaking from what we know to be true thus far, Kylo Ren is actually the only character in the film aside from Leia that carries Skywalker blood.

So does the title hint at ultimately the dark side winning?

I don't think so, but its another amongst the many possibilities for the title.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Overall, the revival of Star Wars by Disney has exceeded my expectations by a huge amount. From 2015-2019 we will have had an amazing 5 Star Wars movies in 5 years! And from my pov of view they range from good (Solo), to very good (The Force Awakens and Rogue One) to great (The Last Jedi). I'm guessing that The Rise of Skywalker is also going to be a great movie going experience for me and my family. It's a new golden age for a favorite series. Disney has certainly made a lot of money from Star Wars already (esp. if you include merchandise) but they have also invested a stunning amount of talent and money into these movies—and it has paid off. Since each of these movies probably costs around $250-$300 million dollars to make, that's a total of almost $1.5 billion. Probably only Disney could have made such a huge investment in good movies in such a short period of time.

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
The title is great, but yeah very different and will take getting used to.

There are so many ways it can go. Heck, technically speaking from what we know to be true thus far, Kylo Ren is actually the only character in the film aside from Leia that carries Skywalker blood.

So does the title hint at ultimately the dark side winning?

I don't think so, but its another amongst the many possibilities for the title.

Could Kylo Ren (Skywalker) rise and fall in the same movie?

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Luke refused to kill a known killer (Vader) because there might be good in him.

Now we're supposed to believe that Luke nearly kills his nephew in his sleep in cold blood because there might be bad in him.

That is going against type
I see it very different. I would say that in Return of the Jedi, Luke VERY nearly kills Vader. But then his rage passes, he comes to his senses, and decides not to kill him.

In the flashbacks in The Last Jedi, the MERE thought of coldly snuffing our a potential evil crosses Luke’s mind, but the thought passes as quickly as it came. It shows that Luke is still a flawed character, but ultimately chooses the obvious right decision. I know killing his nephew in his sleep is pretty extreme, even for a fleeting though, but maybe you can blame his DNA, Darth Vader WAS his father. But regardless, I find it 100% believable and consistent that such dark thoughts could cross through Luke’s head, even in an older age.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
For me this teaser had magic in it. None of The Last Jedi teasers and trailers felt special to me. I remember clearly I wasn't impressed by them.

The funniest reaction I have seen is this one:

Very few things in this life have a way of touching people so deeply. Star Wars has always had that ability. And after all these years it's so touching to see The Force still surrounding us, still binding us all together.

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
I see it very different. I would say that in Return of the Jedi, Luke VERY nearly kills Vader. But then his rage passes, he comes to his senses, and decides not to kill him.

In the flashbacks in The Last Jedi, the MERE thought of coldly snuffing our a potential evil crosses Luke’s mind, but the thought passes as quickly as it came. It shows that Luke is still a flawed character, but ultimately chooses the obvious right decision. I know killing his nephew in his sleep is pretty extreme, even for a fleeting though, but maybe you can blame his DNA, Darth Vader WAS his father. But regardless, I find it 100% believable and consistent that such dark thoughts could cross through Luke’s head, even in an older age.

I completely agree. Luke Skywalker was never meant to be a perfect hero, but a flawed one. That's what makes his story so compelling. I totally believe that after having a moment's weakness in possibly killing his nephew because of what he saw there through the force, he would have placed himself in exile. He knew he made a mistake and in order to not make that mistake any worse, he decided to go into exile. How is what he did any different than what Yoda did after losing his battle with Palpatine? They both realized that going into exile was the only way to keep things from getting worse and to wait for the day when they might have another chance. I still feel that there is more to Luke's story than has been shown and that we will get the answers we're looking for in this new chapter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Very few things in this life have a way of touching people so deeply. Star Wars has always had that ability. And after all these years it's so touching to see The Force still surrounding us, still binding us all together.
I don't know man, I love Star Wars, but it's still just a movie.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Rey starts a new order--something "in between" the Jedi and the Sith--and calls it the "Skywalkers".
I was thinking of something along these very lines, and I would LOVE it! I was VERY happy they didn’t shoe-horn a familial connection in TLJ, so I would be annoyed if they retconned that.

Also, I LOVED the themes in TLJ that hinted at an “in between”. I see Rey and Kylo Ren as both standing together on the same knife’s edge of the force, but with Rey choosing to look at the light side of the force and Kylo Ren choosing to look to the dark side, each occasionally taking a curious look over their shoulders to check out the side they are generally turning their back on.
I wish Rian Johnson had done all three. To me he is a much better writer/director than JJ.
WORD!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Well anyway.

The preview was great.
It has me very excited about the movie.
And that title has me hopping.
Speaking of titles maybe we can update the title of this topic.

Love the title and trailer is great!

Can’t wait for the film in December!

I’ve really enjoyed all of the new Star Wars films!

Final John Williams Star Wars score too!!

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I don't know man, I love Star Wars, but it's still just a movie.
I'm not saying a single movie is more than a movie. I am saying the emotional and inspirational effect Star Wars has had on so many people over so many decades is something truly wondrous. Many people in the entertainment industry today first saw Star Wars as a child and grew up believing they could make magic for others too because Star Wars inspired them. I know it's true because I meet such people all the time.

I've meet people who aren't in the entertainment industry but whose imaginations have been fired by Star Wars in a way that enlarged their life and the lives of those they love in meaningful, if not profound ways. I don't mean to oversell Star Wars, but to dismiss it as simply "just a movie" would be grossly underselling its inspirational power to change lives for the better.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For what it’s worth...

If Episode IX reveals that Rey had important parents, that’s not a retcon Of TLJ. All we have in TLJ is Kylo Ren telling Rey that she knows her parents were garbage people who didn’t care about her. We have absolutely no objective confirmation one way or the other as to whether that’s the actual truth.

Similar deal with Kylo’s helmet. He stops wearing it in TLJ because his master (Snoke) has ridiculed it and demanded that he removed it. Now that he’s vanquished Snoke, if he decides to wear the helmet again, that’s not a retcon - that’s merely the character making a decision.

I think there is some occasional confusion about what a retcon is vs just the story moving in a direction you didn’t anticipate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks