What's new

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019) Non-Spoilers! (2 Viewers)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Are you kidding? Marvel is making about a billion dollars a movie. No way they’re slowing down. If Solo had done the same, the conversation would be different.

I'm speaking from a personal perspective. I'm just about superhero'ed and Star Wars'ed out, so I'm glad that Disney is going to dial the SW stuff back somewhat. If Marvel halved THEIR output after Endgame makes four of five gazillion dollars, I'd be happy. It's all become a bit fatiguing IMO.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
In some ways, I think it's easier to buy into TLJ if you didn't grow up idolizing the original trilogy. I certainly watched the first three Star Wars movies as a kid, but they weren't the seminal films of my generation. Luke to me was a whiny, naive teenager in ANH who scored a lucky shot, then disobeyed his teachers in ESB and lost a hand for it, and then mysteriously became a great Jedi Knight between ESB and ROTJ without the movies having to show the hard work that got him there. He's a hero, yes, but he's always been a pretty flawed one.
I see it pretty much the same way. I grew up a HUGE SW fan, but I have a looser sense of how far my fandom goes and how far I can “idolize” fictional characters. Though the older I get the more I feel Luke is my favorite character in the SW universe. Not because he’s a “hero”, but because he has an interesting story arc that shows the flaws in his character. I feel he’s supposed to be the character that we as the audience are suppose to relate most directly too and follow through the journey with him. And through that outlook, I think TLJ is one of the greatest SW films.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
First image, shown when Abrams said the movie does not pick up exactly where Episode VIII left off.

SW9-720x405.png

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Whoa.

Ian McDiarmid on stage after the trailer, said (in Emperor's voice) "Roll it again."

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Damn that was awesome, without saying much of anything. Glad we got a teaser and a title.

Colbert's fandom origin story speaks to me. He knows what it all meant to my generation. I was 10 when it came out and the perfect age for this amazing spectacle to make a permanent impression on me.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
It was a great teaser but I don’t think there’s any doubt there is going to be some retconning of The Last Jedi now. Still like The Last Jedi I’ll judge it on the story it sets out and nothing it can do will detract from the others. I’ll still love TLJ for what it did do.

Can’t wait till December! And I loved the shot of Leia and the reminder that Luke should be there in some form. Not sure about the emperor thing but we will see how it plays into the story - perhaps it could be Kylo seeking to resurrect him or something like that rather than him just turning up.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
It was a great teaser but I don’t think there’s any doubt there is going to be some retconning of The Last Jedi now.

Either a retcon about Rey's true parentage, OR the actual proof that when a jedi says "if you strike me down I will become more powerful..." and therefore Luke's force ghost will have a large role to play.

I would be happy with either/both. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks