What's new

Star Wars: The Last Jedi discussion thread(Warning: Spoilers!) (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
How to get a star:

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/07/16/how-to-get-a-star-on-the-hollywood-walk-of-fame/

Short version: Have at least a 5 year history in the area for which you're nominated, be nominated by someone (anyone can make a nomination, but a letter of agreement from the nominated celebrity or representative must accompany the application), be accepted/chosen by the selection committee, be willing to attend the ceremony (pretty much goes hand-in-hand with the nomination agreement letter), and have someone pay $40,000 (price went up this year) for the star/ceremony/upkeep

There are currently over 2600 stars on the "walk."

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Interesting. Thanks for posting that, Howie.

So do you think Hamill paid the $40k, or did Disney? Either of them could afford it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
My guess is that Disney foot the bill since it's basically publicity for the home video release of The Last Jedi

That was my first thought as well. Rewarding Mark, which he deserves, and supporting that movie where he plays "not his Luke Skywalker" at the same time. ;)

Last edited:

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Some snippets from the commentary track:

Someone on the crew is named Hermione and they had to back up the recording of the commentary because Rian called her Hermione Granger.

Most of Holdo's scenes were reshot with a new personality. The original personality was more of a hippy as the character was portrayed in the novel Leia, Princess of Alderaan.

There was a scene in TFA screenplay where Han put the dice back in the falcon. Rian thought that was in the movie when he started referencing it so much.

On deleted scenes:
There was a deleted scene on the star destroyer where a storm trooper recognizes FN2187, finn thought he was found out but then the storm trooper continues by being surprised that Finn made officer.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Most of Holdo's scenes were reshot with a new personality. The original personality was more of a hippy as the character was portrayed in the novel Leia, Princess of Alderaan.
I read that book and thought that people were going to hate the Holdo character because she was basically a quirky hippy. When she popped up in the movie and wasn't as odd or strange as the book portrayed, I figured that the author had made the decision to have her be different when she was a teen and that she had changed over the three decades separating the time of the book and TLJ.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I agree this is a great feature, but to me, it doesn't really count if it's not on the disc itself because Disney could choose to remove it at any time. Therefore, you don't really have it in a permanent way.

There were a couple Blu-rays where Disney had exclusive content within their old Disney Movies Anywhere service. Now that the Disney-only version of this has closed, the movies themselves migrated over to my Movies Anywhere account along with any applicable bonus features that were available on the general digital release, but the exclusive Disney Movies Anywhere bonus content is gone now. It's nothing major -- a featurette on John Williams' score on The BFG, and a few Target-exclusive bonus features for Inside Out -- but the amount of content is not the point. That they took it away with the end of Disney Movies Anywhere is the point. I don't have access to it anymore.

It's not a big enough deal to me to make a stink about it with the company, but my point is this: even if I wanted to make a stink, I couldn't do anything about it. They said they had exclusive digital bonus content with Target's initial editions of Inside Out. They did,and I saw it. They never actually said it would remain there forever, so they had every right to remove it since it's their content, not mine.

But they can't take away my Blu-ray with the physical copies of The BFG and Inside Out and the extras that actually made it to the discs.

So...nice try, Rian, in getting the isolated score track put out. But boo Disney for deciding to use it to incentivize digital copies instead of putting it on the disc with the rest of the bonuses where it actually belongs.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to guess it was probably an issue of where Disney could put the score on the digital version for free but if it was on the disc, they would have had to pay. Maybe I'm just being cynical and they just didn't do it for the sake of the AV quality.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
There were a couple Blu-rays where Disney had exclusive content within their old Disney Movies Anywhere service. Now that the Disney-only version of this has closed, the movies themselves migrated over to my Movies Anywhere account along with any applicable bonus features that were available on the general digital release, but the exclusive Disney Movies Anywhere bonus content is gone now. It's nothing major -- a featurette on John Williams' score on The BFG, and a few Target-exclusive bonus features for Inside Out -- but the amount of content is not the point. That they took it away with the end of Disney Movies Anywhere is the point. I don't have access to it anymore.

I'd maybe even argue that it is major -- because these retailer exclusives aren't necessarily easy to come by. They sell out quickly, and often require an advance pre-ordered, or a day-of-release trip to the store in order to get it. It's more work than simply ordering the standard version on Amazon and waiting for it to show up at your house. I'll definitely keep this in mind for the future, because it's not going to be worth putting in the extra effort to get these kind of retailer exclusives if they're not even semi-permanent.

I had ordered The Last Jedi in 3D from the UK, and that version doesn't come with Movies Anywhere. I doubt that I'd be willing to spend $20 from iTunes just to have access to this digital bonus feature. However, if it was on the disc, I'd gladly watch it.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Here is an IGN video describing four good and one not so good deleted scenes.

Apparently the stormtrooper I mentioned earlier who recognized FN2187 was played by Tom Hardy and 2 of the other stormtroopers were played by Prince William and Prince Harry.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
IMO - They should have left Luke's reaction to Han's death in. And the extended Phasma scene.

I'm glad they cut the "raiding party" scene. It just makes Luke look like more of an asshole.

The Tom Hardy stormtrooper scene is funny but the accent is jarring.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Not really the right thread but it's sequel trilogy oriented so what the hey- A new animated series starts in the fall and it's called Star Wars: Resistance. It's set prior to The Force Awakens so it will focus on the Resistance. It will feature new characters but also have appearances by BB-8 (!), Poe Dameron and Captain Phasma (voiced by Oscar Isaac and Gwendoline Christie).

The previous animated series have been quite good (some episodes of The Clone Wars are incredible) so any SW fan should give them a chance and not write them off as kids stuff or the EU.

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-resistance-set-for-fall-debut

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Fantastic. I just watched my BD for the first time a couple weeks ago, and his score is just magnificent. I liked it better than in the theater.
I was let down by Williams' score for TFA and it chalked it up to age starting to get the best of him so I was blown away by what he did for TLJ. It's one of his best SW scores.

As an aside, his score for The Post was really good too. Much different than TLJ but top notch stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks