What's new

Star Wars: The Last Jedi discussion thread(Warning: Spoilers!) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, but I'll always take the audience score over that of critics any day of the week. I find it hard to believe that someone wouldn't know about RT audience scores when they are 1.5" to the right of the critic's scores, but I guess anything is possible.
OK but what about the Cinemascore which is an A or A-? What is more indicative of what the general audience felt about the movie- a wide group of varied people across theaters all over the country or the people that felt so strongly one way or the other that they went on Rotten Tomatoes to vote?

As for seeing the audience score, I rarely use Rotten Tomatoes and when I do, it's to see the critic score on the front page so the audience score is not something I have ever come across. Admittedly, I must have seen one at some time but I don't recall it and I don't remember ever seeing anyone cite the RT audience score before.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
AFAIK, The RT score has never been used here as an indicator of a films quality or lack thereof.

Only of it’s critics reviews and how they relate to how the film is being generally received.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
OK but what about the Cinemascore which is an A or A-? What is more indicative of what the general audience felt about the movie- a wide group of varied people across theaters all over the country or the people that felt so strongly one way or the other that they went on Rotten Tomatoes to vote?
Cinemascore is a pretty accurate source I think. Movies that got ctritically panned like Batman v Siuperman(B) or bad word of mouth films like Justice League(B+) I think the people paying for tickets tend to like most of the films they see. I can only count a handful of movies I really despised in the last 20 years(hundreds of films). Even if a film is just mediocre, I'm usually pretty happy I got to see it on the big screen.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I think it is great to see such spirited discussion of this film. I wish every movie I saw had such interest in talking about it.'
It can be frustrating when you love a movie, and others hate it, and vice versa. There has been a lot of talk about The Last Jedi, and it has been very polite discussion. That is commendable.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I haven't attacked anyone for liking this film

I did not mean to imply that you were attacking anyone in my questiion.

If a person likes the film then they like it and they are not wrong for liking it. I'm only stating why I don't consider this a masterpiece like a lot of you guys do and that is as far as it goes.

Fair enough.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The main complaint I’m hearing from people I know that hated it was the whole Luke Skywalker arc
I don't disagree with you, because that has also been my anecdotal experience with people who weren't wowed by the film, but I find it kind of dumbfounding.

I have my issues with Poe's third of the movie, I have my issues with Finn and Rose's third of the movie, but I found Luke Skywalker's arc to be an unqualified success.

I'm actually concerned about the next film.
Yes, if people were really turned off by TLJ it might only make $500 million domestically and $900 million worldwide. And then what will Disney do?:)

The fact that it's TFA team bringing us Episode IX should make the Disney marketing team's job easier. Star Wars has never, to my knowledge, done a "From the director of..." promo before, but they do have that option with IX if they think they need it.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
This board doesn't reflect the vast majority of Star Wars fans views, is what I am saying. Like it or not, I think Rotten Tomatoes is a better reflection about how Star Wars fans as a whole felt about this movie...and the audience score isn't going up as time passes. It's going down.
I've found that to be true in that so far, all the people I've encountered who liked the movie have been on the internet. I haven't spoken to any real-world people yet who liked the film (this includes the guy at the grocery store who always wants to talk about star wars when he sees me :lol:).

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I don't disagree with you, because that has also been my anecdotal experience with people who weren't wowed by the film, but I find it kind of dumbfounding.

I have my issues with Poe's third of the movie, I have my issues with Finn and Rose's third of the movie, but I found Luke Skywalker's arc to be an unqualified success.

Agree completely. To me, Luke's arc is this movie's saving grace.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Yes, if people were really turned off by TLJ it might only make $500 million domestically and $900 million worldwide. And then what will Disney do?:).

Again, being profitable , and what Disney's expectations are two entirely different things. I would love to see what their projections are.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Maybe a few people on this thread would have hated it, but the film wouldn't have an audience score of 50% on Rotten Tomatoes right now, and it would have almost certainly made more money, not to mention a lot of Star Wars fans a lot happier.

Look, Luke doesn't have to die at the end. He could survive, help the rebellion escape, then disappear into legend. Everything could have been achieved that was achieved in the ending we have now. But Luke Skywalker spending two whole movies on an island...and never leaving....I am surprised the audience score on Rotten Tomatoes is as high as it is.

Well Thank God Star Wars The Last Jedi resisted being a Michael Bay Transformers films with Luke swinging his saber against the slow motion dual suns with Aerosmith in the background. ;)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, I'll go on record and predict that the reactions to TLJ won't have an effect on SOLO or Episode IX. There hasn't been a STAR WARS film that has lost money. Disney could serve up shit on a shingle and it will make money as long as it has the words STAR WARS fronting it. Quality doesn't matter when it comes to this series. There have been five movies since the first three and all of them have for the most part been garbage, but every one of them has made money. STAR WARS is a brand that is so entrenched in the mainstream culture that, no matter how crappy the films are, people will go see them and move on to the next one with the eternal hope that the next one will be better.

In my own case, I'm not sure I really want to see a Han Solo film that doesn't have Harrison Ford in it. A Han Solo spin-off film should have been made when Ford was still young enough to do it. As for IX, I might go see it; although, I'm not sure it is worth going to see the final part of a "Trilogy" that has no arc.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, I'll go on record and predict that the reactions to TLJ won't have an effect on SOLO

I think the impact on Solo will not necessarily be because people didn't like The Last Jedi, but because it is so close in proximity to The Last Jedi that people might feel like, "Didn't we just see one of these?" Star Wars films have never been this close together on the calendar before, and the marketing campaign will need to express why it is worth money for Average Joe non-fanboys to pay up to see another one so quickly. This would be the case even if The Last Jedi had been universally loved.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think the impact on Solo will not necessarily be because people didn't like The Last Jedi, but because it is so close in proximity to The Last Jedi that people might feel like, "Didn't we just see one of these?" Star Wars films have never been this close together on the calendar before, and the marketing campaign will need to express why it is worth money for Average Joe non-fanboys to pay up to see another one so quickly. This would be the case even if The Last Jedi had been universally loved.

Possibly, but I think a lot of SOLO's success might hinge on whether they are able to sell the change in actors via their marketing. SOLO is going to be the first STAR WARS film where an iconic character is going to be played by someone other than the original actor. If the trailers fail to convince people that the new actor is a credible replacement then the film may be in trouble. On the other hand, it may be a big success because, well, STAR WARS.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Well, I'll go on record and predict that the reactions to TLJ won't have an effect on SOLO or Episode IX. There hasn't been a STAR WARS film that has lost money. Disney could serve up shit on a shingle and it will make money as long as it has the words STAR WARS fronting it. Quality doesn't matter when it comes to this series.

I'll go in the opposite direction and predict that it will affect SOLO and ep. IX. They will both still make a ton of money, of course, (especially IX) but the feeling that so many people like me have that VIII was the end of something and not the middle, will keep some people away from IX that would have otherwise gone.

I'm also sticking to my prediction that RJ will not be back for the next trilogy.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think a lot of SOLO's success might hinge on whether they are able to sell the change in actors via their marketing. SOLO is going to be the first STAR WARS film where an iconic character is going to be played by someone other than the original actor. If the trailers fail to convince people that the new actor is a credible replacement then the film may be in trouble.

For once, we 100% agree on this.

I think that a good opening is pretty much assured -- whether it is anywhere near as big as Disney has seen with their previous films is an open question, but I would be extremely surprised if the opening number was not three digits. However, if it's not good or if the new Han doesn't click with audiences, I could imagine it being very frontloaded, especially since it will have more big tentpole competition in the summer than it would at Christmas. (Deadpool 2 opens a week later, for example.) This could go a lot of different ways for Disney and will be a bigger test of the Star Wars brand power than anything they have put out since acquiring Lucasfilm.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think at this point we need a SOLO trailer for further boxoffice speculation.

Good point. How long do you think they will wait to give us one? Super Bowl? Black Panther?

On the other hand, if Disney really wanted to juice the box office for Last Jedi, they could add an exclusive for Han Solo to the end of the film beginning on whatever date they chose, and they could probably get at least the diehard fans to go again to see it. This would go against their policy of not intermingling the saga films and the spinoffs, but they could do it.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if any recycled music from the OT John Williams score will be used in Solo. One of the reasons I loved TLJ was because the retro music in the key scenes. It really nailed the connection between the OT, and Rian Johnsons film perfectly. More so than any of the SW films since ROTJ I think.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I wonder if any recycled music from the OT John Williams score will be used in Solo. One of the reasons I loved TLJ was because the retro music in the key scenes. It really nailed the connection between the OT, and Rian Johnsons film perfectly. More so than any of the SW films since ROTJ I think.
There won’t. But Williams is composing the main SOLO theme.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks