What's new

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015) (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
The more I think about this film there is a scene that I really dislike. It's the scene where the Rey character basically inherits the "Millennium Falcon". I don't really have a problem with her getting the ship, but I do have a problem that Chewbacca joins up with her as if Han Solo never existed. It's obvious that Chewie and Solo had a history going way back, so to have Chewie just accept Rey as Solo's replacement with nary an issue is just terrible writing on any level. I would have rather seen Chewbacca hand over the keys to her and say that the ship dredged up too many memories of his days with Solo for him to remain on board than for him to just join up with her as her new sidekick.

I think it's wonderful that Chewbacca is going to keep flying the Millennium Falcon with Rey. Chewie is a loyal warrior with high ethics. Remember, it is he giving Han Solo a hard time at the end of A New Hope about just taking the money and abandoning the Rebellion. It was probably Chewie who eventually guilted Han into going back to the Death Star to help Luke out in the Battle of Yavin. So to see him stick around after Ben killed Han is exactly what I would expect him to do. Now he's really invested against the dark side because he wants to avenge Han or guarantee Kylo Ren gets what is coming to him. It's personal. Chewie may also already know who Rey is and watching over her as well. Also remember that when Han offers Rey a job with the Falcon and she turns him down he says, "It's too bad. Chewie kind of likes you."

I still think the moment at the end of The Force Awakens when Chewie nods at Rey as they're taking off to go find Luke is one of the most poignant moments in the whole saga.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If memory serves, I was reading the 6-issue marvel adaptation of the original STAR WARS before it hit the screen. I definitely had the novel before the movie opened.
Near as I can tell, the first two issues of Star Wars were out before the movie's May 25, 1977 release and the third was out in early June which was before the movie was released in most theaters.

And I'm pretty sure the novel came out in November or December 1976. Apparently, it sold fairly well and helped feed enthusiasm for the upcoming movie.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Near as I can tell, the first two issues of Star Wars were out before the movie's May 25, 1977 release and the third was out in early June which was before the movie was released in most theaters.

And I'm pretty sure the novel came out in November or December 1976. Apparently, it sold fairly well and helped feed enthusiasm for the upcoming movie.
I'm not sure the standard for floppies nowadays, but back then floppies were released about 4 months before their cover date. So an April cover date actually streeted in January or so.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Novelizations were available well ahead of theatrical release for every Star Wars film before TFA. For TFA the novelization came out the day of theatrical release but only as an ebook.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure the standard for floppies nowadays, but back then floppies were released about 4 months before their cover date. So an April cover date actually streeted in January or so.
Sorry, I should have been more specific but I wasn't using the cover date. The cover date is for the first issue is July. According to Wookieepedia (the Star Wars wiki), the release date for issue 1 was April 12, 1977. Issue 2 was released on May 10 and issue 3 on June 7*. Those dates come from a fanzine called The Comic Reader but they were given to them by Marvel. Obviously, there may be some errors between what Marvel said & when the comics actually made it in onto a rack in stores and it's not like today where there's a big direct market & a specific on-sale date but I'd think they're pretty accurate.

* The last three issues of the adaptation were released on July 12, August 10 and September 13.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
With about 922 million in the bank...would be totally awesome if TFA could make it to a billion but theres just no way to achieve that now...

Unless ;) They were to have a last push for 3D and Large format screens? Even then its a tall order to get another 75 million.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
With about 922 million in the bank...would be totally awesome if TFA could make it to a billion but theres just no way to achieve that now...

Unless ;) They were to have a last push for 3D and Large format screens? Even then its a tall order to get another 75 million.

Yup. I think the only way it'd be remotely possible would be to reissue the movie as a "Director's Cut" and tell fans it won't be out on video for another year after that. Such a release - which ain't gonna happen - might muster the needed money but even then, it could be tough...

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Or premiere the Rogue One trailer in theaters, attached to TFA, 2 weeks before the trailer is available online. I'd go see it a 5th time for that!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Love the cover. $12.50 with free U.S. shipping is an offer I couldn't refuse. Looking forward to to perusing it!

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Cinefex also has an iPad app which is great because they include short video clips and other interactive features in most articles. Plus, each issue is only $5 in the app or you can subscribe for $20/year. All of their previous issues are available in the app but, only the ones from the past few years have interactive features (basically since they launched the app). Cinefex is also my favorite movie magazine.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, chiming back in after seeing the post about Cinefex magazine.I use to collect that years ago. I managed to find a used copy that covered Star Trek The Motion Picture, so I was very happy and didn't need to keep collecting. The fact that its on an iPad edition now is very cool and I'll have to look into that. It must be great on an iPad Pro!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The fact that its on an iPad edition now is very cool and I'll have to look into that. It must be great on an iPad Pro!
Whenever you can see a full run of any decades-long movie magazine, it really becomes an incredible time capsule of the art form.

In the days before Blu-rays and DVDs, CInefex was the only way to get a serious look at how effects were done. I remember when Titanic came out and basically the coverage of the special effects by everyone was "They did it on a computer" and Cinefex literally devoted an entire issue to the effects.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The article on StarWars.com does state

"Note: The 3D version of Star Wars: The Force Awakens will be available later this year."

Unfortunately it doesn't specify if they mean a disc, or merely a streaming version. (Disney had also promised to do the same with a 3D release of "Frozen" in the U.S. and then never did, so I'm concerned about trying to hold my breath here..)

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
"Note: The 3D version of Star Wars: The Force Awakens will be available later this year."

Translation: "There's no way people aren't going to buy this on the day it comes out, so why bother releasing the 3D version then? If we did that, we'd lose a ton of sales. If we release the 3D even two weeks later, everyone will buy it again!! Muwahahaha!"

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Can't decide where I want to purchase it. I love extras so, I really want the Target version for the extra 20 minutes of features but, their packaging looks like a cheap cardboard foldout and I hate those things. I like Best Buy's steelbook but, then I don't get those extra 20 minutes! Agh!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks