What's new

Pre-Order Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
257141_front.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
These new 4K releases don’t have atmos or DTS:X do they? Without that, I’m not sure I want to buy SW again.

stevenHa

Second Unit
On the back covers it lists the bonus materials that are on the blu ray discs but when I insert them into my player it just shows play the movie, chapter selection, and set up - where do I find the bonus materials ?

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
On the back covers it lists the bonus materials that are on the blu ray discs but when I insert them into my player it just shows play the movie, chapter selection, and set up - where do I find the bonus materials ?

There are zero special features on the 4k disc. The 1080p movie disc only has the 2 commentaries & the remaining special features are on the 3rd bonus disc.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
So, I finally got to looking at the 4k disc of ESB and the blu-ray, side by side. The 4k is sharper, of course, but the blu-ray is so much brighter. For example, the arrival at Cloud City looks like it is early morning on the blu-ray, but looks like dusk on the 4k disc. Is that supposed to be that way? Do I have a setting set the wrong way? Likewise on scenes on Hoth, etc.

I appreciate the sharper image, but the darker image leaves much to be desired.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t have the new discs but have seen the new transfers on Disney+.

The new transfers are much more representative of what the original trilogy looked like during its original theatrical run. The previous masters used on the DVD and Blu-ray editions were timed much brighter by comparison.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
So, I finally got to looking at the 4k disc of ESB and the blu-ray, side by side. The 4k is sharper, of course, but the blu-ray is so much brighter. For example, the arrival at Cloud City looks like it is early morning on the blu-ray, but looks like dusk on the 4k disc. Is that supposed to be that way? Do I have a setting set the wrong way? Likewise on scenes on Hoth, etc.

I appreciate the sharper image, but the darker image leaves much to be desired.
"The Empire Strikes Back" played at the theater I managed, so I watched it a lot over an extended period of time, and as I recall, the arrival at Cloud City was fairly dark, and was supposed to look as if it was just after sunset, with just the slightest streak of color on the horizon, but with the city already cloaked in darkness.

btw, in its initial release prints, "The Empire Strikes Back" was a very dark film, at least in terms of the timing. We got it back again on a double bill with "A New Hope" just before "Return of the Jedi" opened, and I previewed the print and was a bit surprised, as I had forgotten how dark it was. I haven't gotten around to getting the 4K yet, but from your description, the timing sounds more or less the way I remember.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks