What's new

Star Wars The Complete Saga MEMBER REVIEW Thread (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, that was my mistake. I mispoke.

We received notification from LucasFilm that screeners

were going to be sent out and that we were receiving one.

I had thought that Matt had received it earlier this week.

After the post I made, Adam (who handles screener requests

for HTF) informed me that Matt did not receive his yet and

that it might not be until as late as Friday as the studio was

concerned about piracy issues --- despite the fact they released

the films Internationally on Monday.

Sorry for the confusion, but I was not fully up-to-date on the

status of whether Matt got his copy or not.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by ijthompson .

Justin, I see from your post count that you are new, and well frankly, don't know me from Adam. I get the feeling that you are hinting at something. If you aren't great. If you are I'm not offended but would rather you just spit it out so I can get you the DNA sample you need and we can get this thread back on track!

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
Thedigitalbits review is up. Exhaustive is an understatement.:) http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviewshd/bdreviews091611.html

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
montrealfilmguy said:
Thedigitalbits review is up. Exhaustive is an understatement.:) http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviewshd/bdreviews091611.html
Yes a very thorough review, though I am somewhat disappinted he glossed over some of the problems - the continuity of the 'now they're there, now they're not' R2 rocks; Jabba's palace door - bigger on the outside than the inside. The fact they took their time to make Ewoks blink, but not make the lightsabers 100% consitant from shot to shot (which MANY fans have already done using home PCs - so why can't Lucasfilm do this?!). It's essentially a very positive thumbs up review, which marks quite a change of tone to the comments he made last week where he really did sound cross/like he'd had enough of all the changes... Anyways, well worth a read nonetheless, though it hasn't swayed me to pick up the set, I must confess. Mr Hunt must be one FAST typer to get that review up so fast - impressive! He does mention the fact he strongly believes the original trilogy will be released at some point. I agree - after this set Lucas has run out of ways to re-sell the films yet again, UNLESS he releases the original versions of each. As these fan reconstruction bootlegs are so popular now & in HD he also needs to consider that angle too, and release something official. I'm sure all these silly online fan 'rifts' will dissipate rather quickly if this were to happen.

MyMilkshake

Auditioning
Real Name
Clif
Yay! The deleted scenes are in HD! Well at least I can buy it for them alone. But black Friday is when I'll get it at 40 dollars or lower. I see it as 10 dollars per bouns disc:D. The main movies are worth 1.50 a piece since I've bought them sooo many times. But yea he'll have to put the original trilogy out sometime. Hopefully it's a "cuts" boxset and includes the lost cut in hd:). I also noticed in the commentary on empire and Jedi he included Jeremy Bolloch who played boba fett and voiced him orignially. I thought that's odd since he killed the voice in the 04 special editions with jango fett's voice. But its a sign that hopefully change is happening slowly in lucas's mind. I also stopped by wal-mart at midnight and saw the sets and was surprised how thin they are. Even the complete set is quite small. The complete does have more "heft" because of it's book like nature. Maybe I'm just used to seeing star wars in giant laserdisc boxsets:P. Also they had episode 1 playing and man did the cgi not age well at all from 1999. :(

Dave Farley

Second Unit
MyMilkshake said:
I also noticed in the commentary on empire and Jedi he included Jeremy Bolloch who played boba fett and voiced him orignially. I thought that's odd since he killed the voice in the 04 special editions with jango fett's voice. But its a sign that hopefully change is happening slowly in lucas's mind.
It was actually Jason Wingreen from "All in the Family" and "Archie Bunker's Place" that voiced Boba Fett originally. :) He did a much better job than Temeura Morrison, whose voice replaced his in the 2004 version of ESB.

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jordan
Adam Gregorich said:

Jordan, Adam, Adam, Jordan.  My dad is Mr Gregorich.   If HTF has a copy on hand is not important (we do), We are doing some preliminary work on a review.  We won't post it until sometime on Friday or when its ready, whichever comes first.  I'd rather have a good review done than a quick review. Sorry for the confusion, I'm just not sure why this has come to consume this thread.
Nice to meet you Adam, and please, allow me to apologize to you and Ronald: the blu-ray release of these films has got many of us fired up - and me, being the conspiracy theorist that I am, was beginning to jump at shadows. This particular conspiracy involved Lucasfilm just knowing that they were releasing an inferior product and purpose, thus not only barring websites from posting reviews before the release date, but actually barring them from admitting that they'd even received their screeners at all! But from the sounds of things, everything's pretty much more-or-less okay. I guess I'll put my tinfoil hat on, and watch me some Star Wars! :laugh:

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jordan
Adam Gregorich said:

Jordan, Adam, Adam, Jordan.  My dad is Mr Gregorich.   If HTF has a copy on hand is not important (we do), We are doing some preliminary work on a review.  We won't post it until sometime on Friday or when its ready, whichever comes first.  I'd rather have a good review done than a quick review. Sorry for the confusion, I'm just not sure why this has come to consume this thread.
Nice to meet you Adam, and please, allow me to apologize to you and Ron: the blu-ray release of these films has got many of us fired up - and me, being the conspiracy theorist that I am, was beginning to jump at shadows. This particular conspiracy involved Lucasfilm just knowing that they were releasing an inferior product on purpose, thus not only barring websites from posting reviews before the release date, but actually barring them from even admitting that they'd received their screeners at all! But from the sounds of things, everything's pretty much okay. I guess I'll put my tinfoil hat on, and watch me some Star Wars! :laugh:

Alessandro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex
Well so far from what i have been hearing from various news outlets that these movies are getting good reviews so far. :cool: I would like to list those sites but alas no one is allowed to do so..Trust me don't list anything other than what this site posts cause you will get flamed for doing so...

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
Alessandro said:
Well so far from what i have been hearing from various news outlets that these movies are getting good reviews so far. :cool: I would like to list those sites but alas no one is allowed to do so..Trust me don't list anything other than what this site posts cause you will get flamed for doing so...
Alessandro, no one's opinion is going to be swayed by reviews of Star Wars. The people who want to love the new blu rays, are going to love them. The people who want to fixate on flaws, will find a ton of them. You are not going to be able to point to a stack of overwhelmingly positive reviews and say "ah-ha, haters! I was right!!"

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I don't think Bill Hunt's review was overly-effusive. I think he was pretty clear that the new cuts are what they are. They aren't what we saw when they were first released, but Lucas is aware of the displeasure of a great amount of the public and simply doesn't care. His job as a reviewer of the particular product being released always takes precedence over the content of the film. He gives his general opinion of the film and then spends the bulk of the review talking about the actual discs. That's fine. The Bits is a DVD/Blu-Ray review site. As such, I think he did a fine job. He pointed out the limitations and flaws of the video content and also mentioned the areas where the image was an improvement over previous releases. He praised the sound mix, which seems to be in line with other reviews. He did his usual fantastic job of letting readers know exactly what extras were included and giving his impressions on them. Mr. Hunt has earned his high reputation in the community and continues to do so. I think most of us would rather have the original films alongside or in place of Lucas' new versions. Mr. Hunt's review acknowledges that, but says, "These are the discs we're given, so here's a review of them."

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Brian Kidd

I don't think Bill Hunt's review was overly-effusive. I think he was pretty clear that the new cuts are what they are. They aren't what we saw when they were first released, but Lucas is aware of the displeasure of a great amount of the public and simply doesn't care. His job as a reviewer of the particular product being released always takes precedence over the content of the film. He gives his general opinion of the film and then spends the bulk of the review talking about the actual discs. That's fine. The Bits is a DVD/Blu-Ray review site. As such, I think he did a fine job. He pointed out the limitations and flaws of the video content and also mentioned the areas where the image was an improvement over previous releases. He praised the sound mix, which seems to be in line with other reviews. He did his usual fantastic job of letting readers know exactly what extras were included and giving his impressions on them. Mr. Hunt has earned his high reputation in the community and continues to do so.

I think most of us would rather have the original films alongside or in place of Lucas' new versions. Mr. Hunt's review acknowledges that, but says, "These are the discs we're given, so here's a review of them."

Like the changes or not, this is the way you have to approach the reveiw. You can't review something that isn't there, you have to review what you were sent, but make it clear to everyone what it is so they can decide for themselves if its something they want.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
It was indeed a fast review. But i suspect some reviewers probably typed the general idea of their reviews ahead.Save for the PQ and AQ of course. Seeing how you already know how you feel about all this plus everything about the changes has been online for some time now. Nixon's speechwriter already had a letter prepared in case the Apollo 11 didnt make it back. So im thinking a Star wars review shouldn't be too hard to prepare beforehand.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Just finished reading the review at The Digital Bits. I've decided to pick this up on my way home tonight. The deleted scenes sound great, and I've got a four day weekend starting tomorrow.... In my heart of hearts I should have known it would be very difficult for me not to buy this release.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I was going to resist. I was. Then I read about the deleted scenes and the making-of specials from my youth. Then I saw somebody mention in a post about having Best Buy Rewards certificates saved up and thought, "Hey! I don't think I've checked to see how many points I have in ages. I wonder if I... $20?!? I have $20 in Rewards certificates?!?" My resolve broken, I headed to Best Buy to pick up the Saga. As a nerd, I'm used to living with self-loathing. At least now I've seen the Wampa scenes and the sandstorm. Darn you, George Lucas, and your Rasputin-like hold over me! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Jar-Jar be damned, it was worth it for the extras discs. Aside from the Stormtrooper group documentary that, sorry, I'm just not that into (No offense to those guys who, at least, use their nerdiness for good.) and the parodies that I've seen a million times already, the extras are pretty cool and informative. My big beef is with the interminably-long load times. With so many brief videos and images to plow through, having to sit through load times like that makes it a chore, at times, rather than a pleasure. I'm going off to the sofa of shame, now.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
:laugh:.:laugh: Thank you Brian for making me laugh to tears. sofa of shame. You know you have to copyright that like now,now. Library of congress,go.

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
I just finished watching The Phantom Menace. I'm not especially critical about these things, but I thought it was a pretty mixed bag in the video department. For the most part, the opening section of the movie looked really good to me, but it looked kind of like the first Gladiator Blu-Ray in some other parts. The new Yoda was nice. He looks a little angry now during the celebration scene.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Hi All, Take this for what it's worth... I'm only through the Phantom Menace, and so far my impressions are very positive. Is the transfer perfect? No. Is it representative of the theatrical experience you had twelve years ago? You bet. Sound is top notch. After participating in and reading all the news over the past two months as soon as the movie started, I lost myself in the experience. I can't wait to find the time to look at the rest of this set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks