What's new

Star Wars subtitles off screen? (1 Viewer)

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
Carl,

I hate it when subtitles appear below the image in the bottom black bar in a letterboxed movie because I use mattes to matte-out the black bars on my RPTV so that I don't see the ever so slight and variable "glow" that they output when viewed in a completely dark room. I say variable because during bright scenes in movies, the black bars glow the most.

I love seeing only a widescreen image when I view my DVDs at night, even during dark scenes. IMO, this captures what you see at a theater quite well...just a widescreen, no 4:3 with a letterboxed image in it.

When subtitles are presented in the black boarder out side of the image it throws a monkey wrench into my matting.

My RPTV has been internally cleaned on a regular basis and is calibrated with AVIA.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
So you believe that ALL subtitles, be they present in the original film (like location titles or the alien-language subs from "Star Wars") or used just to translate a foreign-language film, should be place over the actual picture area, and never in the black bar, regardless of aspect ratio. Is that correct?

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
Movies like STAR WARS that have subtitles as part of the original film, yes...I think they should be kept within the image area as shown in theaters.

For foreign (sp?) films, however...it doesn't bother me as much since the subtitles weren't originally intended to begin with...but it's still nice to see subtitles in foreign films placed within the widescreen image area like AMORES PERROS and INSOMNIA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks