What's new

Star Wars subtitles off screen? (1 Viewer)

Heath V

Auditioning
Hello all.
I've been trying to figure this out and can't seem to get it. When I view the Star Wars DVD, and set the TV's (Hitachi 61SWX01W)aspect to "Fill", when there are subtiles, some of the appear off the screen. Is this something I am doing wrong?
I've also noticed that when I watch anamorphic DVD's, and set to fill, there are still black bars.
Does anyone have any ideas on this? I'm new to the 16:9 world.
Thanks.
Heath

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
If you have Star Wars on DVD then it's a bootleg copy and therefore is off-limits to discussion here. However since there are other points to your question I'll leave this thread open.
Please be aware of our anti-piracy stance.
------------------
"There is evil there that does not sleep"
[Edited last by Rob Gillespie on November 18, 2001 at 10:29 AM]

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
The ratio of a 16:9 screen is 1.78:1. The ratios of movies varies from 1.33:1 all the way up to 2.7:1. Anything above 1.78:1 will have black bars on your screen.
Most 1.85:1 movies won't have black bars, due to overscan on your TV.

Emil Stoica

Second Unit
Not possible for it to be Episode 1. The subtitles appear within the picture when viewed on an anamorphic display.

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
Not possible for it to be Episode 1. The subtitles appear within the picture when viewed on an anamorphic display.
Right, but he's using "fill" mode on his set, so he's probably getting some cropping.
Heath, try setting the set to "standard" (may be something different on your set, it's called standard on the Mits tv's) As Kwang noted, some movies are shot in a wider ratio than your TV. Phantom Menace has a 2.35:1 ratio, and will have bars on your set. Using the fill mode, called zoom on some sets, will crop a considerable amount off the sides of the picture, and some off the bottom and top as well. Setting it to standard will give you the full picture.
You can find the aspect ratio of a movie up on the imdb site. Link Removed Search the movie you'r e interested in, then check the "technical specs" section for that film.
Hope this helps. Be sure to post any further q's.
T

Heath V

Auditioning
Sorry for the confusion. I don't have bootleg copies of any Star Wars movie. I will try to be more exact next time.
Emil Stoica:
It in fact is Episode 1. Full retail and legal copy. If there's a way to make these subtitles appear INSIDE the picture and not in the "letterbox" area, I'm all ears.
Thom B:
Fill is considered zoom? I thought this was the way to view anamorphic DVD's on this TV. At least, that's what the manual states. If someone out there has this TV, please clear this up for me. I would love to know what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks for the responses. I would love to figure this out.
Heath

Duane M Davis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Duane Davis
On Episode 1 DVD, if you have your DVD player set on 16:9 widescreen, the subtitles are in the picture. If you have your DVD player set on 4:3 Letterbox, the subtitles are in the Black Bar area.
------------------
"Would you like to play spider with me?" ~Spider Baby

Richard_Huntington

Stunt Coordinator
Heath, I do not think "Fill" is the correct setting:
Go to www.avsforum.com and into the HDTV hardware section and ask for help. That forum has the most experienced video-files around and I am sure that they can help you.

Heath V

Auditioning
Thanks to everyone for all your help. Duane, you nailed it. The DVD player was set to 4:3 mode. Never had to worry about that before.

Thanks again to everyone for your help.

mark_d

Second Unit
re: the KV32 anamorphic explanation:

I don't wanna appear too nitpicky, but anyway...

The last pic (The Matrix shot showing an example of anamorphic DVD shown on a 4:3 set with the player set to 16:9) on that page should have small black bars, as it's used as the 2.35:1 example earlier on. If it had been the Aliens example then that would've been OK.

Nice one otherwise, though.

Have I just confused the issue further?

Mark

Richard Hardbattle

Stunt Coordinator
Mind you, on the Region 2 version in England, even on a correctly calibrated tv and player, the subs appear in the black bar. (Any they don't have all that fancy fading business!! - just player generated subs)

Rich

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
I have no subtitles visible anywhere for Ep. 1 on my widescreen mits in Standard mode (which is used for anamorphic DVDs) using my Harman Kardon DVD50 (which is, of course, set to 16x9). I assumed it was the DVD player (which is a piece of crap, by the way).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks