Star Wars SE's Why do people care?

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I liked the banthas as well. I enjoyed the new "establishing" shots. They made the universe a little bigger. I just didn't enjoy the story tweaks. It's a personal choice. It just says something that most people who saw both prefer the original. And it's not to be contrary. The originals were superior movies. Take care.
Chuck

Eric Bass

Second Unit
I completely agree that one of the main problems is that whether or not the new effects are good or bad, they stand out. Like when they first pull into town to pick up a pilot and we get the pointless CGI droid show. It really has nothing to do with anything except to show off effects that are lacking in 90% of the scenes. Now when Han ran around the corner and 100 instead of 10 storm troopers were standing there, that was actually pretty funny and at least had some purpose for being added rather than to simply show off what a cool graphics team Lucas has.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
(Can you imagine how cool it would be to have the DVD cover contain the main, original Star Wars poster - the one with Skywalker holding his lightsaber above his head and Leia by his side.)
Quite honestly, I always found that poster to be pretty hokey, what with Luke having bulging pecs and a washboard stomach, gimme a break, in the film he's a scrawny kid! And Leia is scantily clad and showing some leg. Lucas deliberately tried to desexualize Leia in ANH by taping her breasts together. Methinks someone in marketing had something to do with that poster.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I know what you mean, but it's still the orginal poster, to my knowledge. However, I do like the poster that came out after that one with Luke in the center with his gun out in front of him and the characters to the left and right of him.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I think in the case of Blade Runner,Aliens etc, the films improved. The Star Wars trilogy didnt.
I dont have a problem with Lucas recutting a film to get it closer to his vision. I dont even have a problem with his adding X Wing Fighters for a more dramatic scene, but I do have a problem with the stuff like the Jabba scene and neat looking creatures added becuase it shows off whats Lucas company can do.The additions do NOTHING to help the story!
I have a problem with Lucas turning Lukes finest moment into a pussy scream.
I have a problem with Lucas cutting "Bring my shuttle" thinking we need to be "shown" how Vader got to the executioner.(As his tone when saying those 3 words simply and effectively showed his anger over the outcome of his confrontation with Luke.Perfect example,were treated to FX instead and it ruins a overwise perfect(and SIMPLE) scene)
I cant even believe Lucas actually looked the Greedo shoots first scene and thought it was acceptable to be put in the film that way-IT LOOKS LIKE SHIT. I saw it on Showtime for the first time and did a Little Rascals double take when I saw it-I was floored by how bad it was(it must have looked even worse on the big screen) and the fact that Lucas thought such a abortion was worthy of his film really shows where his mind is nowadays.
And as Im sure you have all heard by now,hes not done screwing up these films yet-theres more to come for the eventual 6 movie DVD collection to make the movies continuity run smoother. WTF????

Is it his movie?Yes.Does he have the right to do whatever he wants to it?Yes, but that doesnt mean I have to like it.I wont and never will give him my money for it-no thanks.
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung
[Edited last by JonZ on August 23, 2001 at 12:02 PM]

Coressel

Supporting Actor
I guess I must just be weird or something, because I remember in the early or mid-90's when I first heard that Lucas might finally go back and make the first half of the story, my first thought was "that would be cool, as long as he also does some more effects work on the last half of the story so it matches up a bit."
Oh well, different views are what make this galaxy interesting..
[Edited last by Coressel on August 23, 2001 at 12:00 PM]

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
If Lucas simply let us watch the new versions of the Trilogy as an entertaining and interesting alternate take on the films, I don't think many would complain. Its the revisionism of denying us the films we saw back then that hurts.
Precisely. This debate echoes the OAR vs. MAR discussions. I could personally give a french fried f**k how many changes Lucas makes...if only he wouldn't deny us the originals. Just like we wouldn't care if Wonka or Bakshi's LOTR was being released both ways.
IMO, the special edition changes themselves run the gamut from nifty, to okay, to jarring, to maddening, to WHY, Oh GOD, WHY!? But that's just my opinion.
However, there's another aspect to this debate. Lucas is for all intents and purposes the "owner" of these films, but when he goes back and screws with Empire and Jedi, he's altering the work of other directors without consultation. Not to mention the screenwriters.
Would we countenance one of Hitchcock's surviving collaborators going back and changing Rear Window? The analogy may not be perfect, but I believe there's something to it.
--Jefferson Morris
[Edited last by Jefferson Morris on August 23, 2001 at 05:13 PM]

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans
Well here is my reasons why I like the SE of the "Star Wars Trilogy". Alot of people forget to mention Jedi and Empire and tend to rip apart Lucas for ANH. Jedi and Empire were done very respectfully IMO. And they are quite an improvement. Empire being even more exciting and beautiful and Jedi BEING a lot more tolerable. I still find Jedi my least favorite after being on this earth for 25 years. I do and will always have a distate for the Greedo shot, bUT THAT's it. I seem to remember Lucas saying he made these films for him. We don't own or have any say to Star Wars. Period. What if there were no Special Editions? Guess what Star Wars would be gone. The negative was pretty far gone because of late 70's, early 80's film stock that was also used for compositing effects. This was a restoration project through and through. I applaud Lucas for going back for a chance to complete one of dreams and making it something that it was supposed to be in 1977 but wasnt because of money and time.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
quote: What if there were no Special Editions? Guess what Star Wars would be gone. The negative was pretty far gone because of late 70's, early 80's film stock that was also used for compositing effects. This was a restoration project through and through.[/quote]
That assumes that if a film is restored, it must also be significantly changed.
That's not valid. They could have been restored without the changes.
------------------
[Edited last by RobertR on August 24, 2001 at 09:34 PM]

MikeDeVincenzo

Stunt Coordinator
You know, its interesting.
Let us imagine a scenario where the fast majority of Star Wars fans demaned that Lucas spruce the first trilogy up with CG. If Lucas gives into public pressure in this scenario, he'd be accused of pandering to the masses and "selling out". But on the other hand, in the scenario we live in, Lucas defies the will of the majority of Star Wars fans (at least, if this thread is a representative sample of Star Wars fans), and releases the altered films, engendering a howl from Star Wars fans. Now, why is Lucas(or any artist) praised for defying the public will in Scenario A and rebuked for defying it in Scenario B?
I should mention in passing that I'm not a huge fan of Star Wars. Its solid, 3 star entertainment to me, and I'll watch it whenever, but if it never got released on DVD, I wouldn't feel a great loss...Perhaps this is why I can take a more ambivalent viewpoint about this "SE Controversy".

David Mill

Auditioning
I have no problem with ‘additional scenes’. They give the viewer more SW to enjoy. And when the SE films came out, we were really starving. I don’t even mind the scene with Jabba (which many feel looked bad and was unnecessary, as the dialogue was basically a rehash of the previous scene with Greedo). And I loved the additional scenes of Luke entering Mos Eisely.
But I HATE any changes to existing scenes. It pisses in face of everyone who worked so hard to develop the technology to create those convincing FX shots. Many of those techniques had to be created from scratch. They were ground-breaking, at the time. They raised the bar and showed moviegoers what to expect from the medium. When Lucas ‘fixed’ those effects and said he’d never release the original versions again, he effectively ‘erased’ them from our history. The original DS explosion was magnificent. At the time, nothing was so brilliant and dynamic. It didn’t need anything to make it more magical. Now, it looks the same as every other big-budget-Hollywood-explosion. What a shame. And where does it end? The ‘new’ effects will be out dated in five years. What then?
I won’t even get into the Greedo thing; I’ll just get too spun up. Suffice to say, it doesn’t seem THAT bad to add things we never saw (as if we had missed it the first time ‘cause we had stepped out to the bathroom) if they are seamlessly blended into the film. But you should NEVER change a scene we’ve already seen. And some of us have seen them hundreds of times over the last 20 years.
[Edited last by David Mill on August 25, 2001 at 06:20 PM]
[Edited last by David Mill on August 25, 2001 at 06:22 PM]

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I can't see the public hounding GL, or anyone else for that matter, to change a movie, especially after it has come out. With the exception of the new POTA,
- all of us (I think) accept a film for what it is. If you don't like a part of it - or the ending, then just don't watch it.
What his changes did really played with my mind. Here I accept a movie when it came out, and I really liked it and remembered it THAT way. Then he goes and says that isn't what I had intended, that's why I'm making the SE's.
It's really hard to tell my brain that what I originally saw should be forgotten. I just can't do that.
Glenn

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans
Aah but yes the movies could been restored without adding. Don't assume I meant restoring to include adding cuase i did not. But if you look at in a way as I said before, you are watching now what Lucas intended it to be originally. Restoring it to his vision? Eh?

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I guess Mr. Lucas just can't resist the urge to fiddle with his babies. It's kind of understandable in that he's always going to see something that he'll think could have been done better. At some point though, he's going to have to leave them be. They're fine George, really!
------------------

"Death's at the bottom of everything, Martins - leave death to the professionals!"
"Mind if I use that line in my next Western?"
[Edited last by SteveGon on August 27, 2001 at 01:53 AM]

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlramS