What's new

Star Wars Resistance Season 1 (2018-19) (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Kathleen Kennedy has just become a joke as far as the fans are concerned.

Not this fan. I've been on board since 1977. Don't speak for me.

I'm no fan of Kennedy because any head of any studio who blatantly offends the very fans of the franchise they are in charge of simply deserves no respect.

How did she do this? She has never offended me. I think her performance as head of Lucasfilm has been great.

I'm not ridiculing Kennedy but her attitude and behavior toward the fans of the Star Wars franchise has been nothing but abysmal.

How? Be specific. I've been paying attention to Star Wars fandom for 40 years and I have no idea what you are talking about.

Kennedy has stepped back from any active role in the Star Wars films and from what I heard, Dave Filoni stepped back away from resistance, handed Episode IX over to J.J. Abrams and that Rian Johnson's may not be running the show with the new trilogy. I also heard that Kennedy didn't really want J.J. Abrams on The Force Awakens and that Disney wasn't happy with Rian Johnson's work on The Last Jedi.

Evidence? If she has stepped away from an active role, who is running Lucasfilm? There is no evidence of any of this.

The only light at the end of the tunnel is Joss Whedon's live action TV series, which has a lot of fans hyped up.

I've heard nothing about a Joss Whedon series. There is show being helmed by Jon Favreau, but nothing by Whedon.

Suggestion: Stay away from fan boards that trash Star Wars and rely only on real news. Don't be toxic.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
As for Kathleen Kennedy, there are a lot of haters who don't think a woman should be in charge of Star Wars

You shouldn't make the mistake of thinking that the only reason anyone would have for criticizing Kathleen Kennedy is because she's a woman.

the same folks who don't want to see a woman be a main character in the films

There's clearly more to it than that. NO one ever objected to Leia being a main character in the OT.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Since we were discussing Kathleen Kennedy here recently, I thought it would appropriate to mention that today the Academy (the one that gives out the Academy Awards) is giving her (and her husband, Frank Marshall) the Irving G. Thalberg award. She will be the first woman to receive it. George Lucas received it in 1991.

https://www.oscars.org/news/academy...-marshall-lalo-schifrin-and-cicely-tyson-2018
And to piggyback on that, The Last Jedi is the best selling Blu-ray of the year. While sales in no way denote quality, it does undo the idea that 'everyone' hated TLJ.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
You shouldn't make the mistake of thinking that the only reason anyone would have for criticizing Kathleen Kennedy is because she's a woman.

There's clearly more to it than that. NO one ever objected to Leia being a main character in the OT.

100% agree. I could care less she's a woman. She doesn't care about the fan base. She needs to go. If she were a man I'd feel the same way with that attitude.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Assuming that's even true, why should she? Or better yet, how should she show she cares about the fan base? In her tenure at LFL, she made quality SW stories and to me, that's proof that she's does care about the fans.

Different strokes for different folks.

Not sure what you mean by "Why should she care" about the fan base? That seems pretty obvious to me. Isolating and marginalizing a fan base is never a good idea.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
She doesn't care about the fan base.

On what do you base this? What has she done to make you think she doesn't care?

She needs to go.

She's about to receive one of the highest honors in the movie business (and the only award the Motion Picture Academy has ever given George Lucas). I very much doubt she is going anywhere she doesn't want to go.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
On what do you base this? What has she done to make you think she doesn't care?

She's about to receive one of the highest honors in the movie business (and the only award the Motion Picture Academy has ever given George Lucas). I very much doubt she is going anywhere she doesn't want to go.

I'm glad she's going to receive a high honor. Kudos to her.

I'll just be honest, I don't agree with the direction the films have taken. Maybe I'm a minority opinion, but I still don't understand how Luke took 3 films to become a Jedi Master and Rey can basically just pick up a lightsaber and go to town with no training. That's just one issue I have with the new films. The other is the seemingly complete lack of respect Luke was given. His character didn't fit with the original series in my opinion.

But to be honest it really doesn't bother me anymore. I just thought I would chime in because of the blanket statements that people that didn't support KK were just hating on her because she was a woman, which is far from the truth.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I'm glad she's going to receive a high honor. Kudos to her.

I'll just be honest, I don't agree with the direction the films have taken. Maybe I'm a minority opinion, but I still don't understand how Luke took 3 films to become a Jedi Master and Rey can basically just pick up a lightsaber and go to town with no training. That's just one issue I have with the new films. The other is the seemingly complete lack of respect Luke was given. His character didn't fit with the original series in my opinion.

But to be honest it really doesn't bother me anymore. I just thought I would chime in because of the blanket statements that people that didn't support KK were just hating on her because she was a woman, which is far from the truth.

But Sam was very clear in his comments (emphasis added) "As for Kathleen Kennedy, there are a lot of haters who don't think a woman should be in charge of Star Wars - the same folks who don't want to see a woman be a main character in the films. I say, ignore them."

I can't speak for commentary on the broader internet, but Sam at least wasn't making blanket statements, but rather stating that a lot of the flak has come from haters who have demonstrated casual or clear misogyny. Obviously there are good people out there who just don't like the films for myriad reasons (the reasons you describe, for example). But the coordinated attempts from haters ("man" groups) because of the role Kennedy is in, and Rey being the lead character the way that Luke was the primary protagonist in the original trilogy, couching their commentary in sexist, Neanderthal language is the corner of fandom that we should ALL want to distance ourselves from and let reasoned debate about the merits of the actual film prevail (which is largely what I have thankfully seen on HTF, with a couple of sad outliers :))

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Different strokes for different folks.

Not sure what you mean by "Why should she care" about the fan base? That seems pretty obvious to me. Isolating and marginalizing a fan base is never a good idea.
But if it's a segment of the fandom that deems themselves the gatekeepers of what is and isn't acceptable for Star Wars (or Star Trek or Marvel or whatever), I don't think anyone should worry about catering to them. No one at LFL should try to deliberately do things that the 'old' fans don't like but if those fans don't like something & don't continue along for the ride, that's their choice. Personally, if there's anything to worry regarding the fanbase, it should be about growing it for the future so they can continue to tell stories in a galaxy far, far away. By telling stories from different types of people with different types of characters, they are growing the fanbase beyond the people (like myself) who have been there for the last 40 years.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Yes, this is fine. I'm okay with expanding the fan base. It just seems like there could have been a middle ground that would not have isolated core supporters at the same time. I'm happy with Rey being the main protagonist, but her apparent no training necessary skills seem to diminish (in my opinion) the focus on training that Yoda and Obi Wan believed was necessary in the original series (as well as the prequels) especially to keep oneself away from the dark side. Maybe Rey will go to the dark side for all I know in IX...

I must have misread the post about haters and KK, I apologize. I realize there are a group of fans that are misogynistic. I'm not one of them but I do believe that the Last Jedi in particular felt rushed to do away with Luke as fast as possible and he was not treated with the respect the character deserved. I know he was a whiny punk in New Hope but by Return of the Jedi his character had matured. Treating him the way Johnson and Kennedy did in Last Jedi was a disservice. I didn't mind him becoming "one with the Force" at the end, but his mannerism throughout the film seemed unnatural for his character.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
First three episodes

Not terrible, not amazing, will see where it goes as the setup is very familiar. I suspect with it being set only 6 months before Episode VII the series is going to eventually run into those events which could make the show interesting given that VII and VIII are so close together.

I think the animation also doesn’t take long to get used to.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
First three episodes

Not terrible, not amazing, will see where it goes as the setup is very familiar. I suspect with it being set only 6 months before Episode VII the series is going to eventually run into those events which could make the show interesting given that VII and VIII are so close together.

I think the animation also doesn’t take long to get used to.
We have very similar views on the show. Just based on the previous SW animated series, I'm willing to give this show some time to build.

As for the animation, I still don't particularly like it but I got used to it fairly quickly too.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
PVRd the first two episodes, and absolutely could not stomach the animation style at all. I erased these two and the series schedule for my machine. Yuck, Yuck, Yuck! :unsure::wacko:

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I have to agree with you both. I tried to like it, but this looks more like the juvenile antics of Nickolodean's fare of animation aimed more the Saturday morning cartoon kids. It wasn't so much as the animation as it was the writing and the acting, so bad. The kid runs around worrying about racing and being a spy when he knows nothing about life.

The reason I enjoyed Rebels so much was that the characters acted much more mature than the ones on Resistance. The only character I liked was Yeager and Tam Ryvora, Yeager's mechanic. The rest of the characters, I couldn't care a crap about. It's just too giddy and kiddy for me. I'm glad that Dave Filoni isn't directing this crap. It just sounds like they deliberately trying to push for the whinest voices on this animated series.

I think they tried to make this series to anime-like, from top to bottom.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
It was definitely more lighthearted and juvenile in places but I have a feeling things will get less so as it goes on - you just know that his father is going to get caught up in the First Orders attack from VII

Also the animations lends itself really well to the action moments and flight sequences

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
The kid runs around worrying about racing and being a spy when he knows nothing about life.

AKA the premise of pretty much every Star Wars story so far

Definitely more kid friendly but I suppose we can always blame Kathleen Kennedy - we’ve got three more years to do that. :) Not sure why you feel the need to give Filoni a pass but I suppose it doesn’t fit the “narrative” that some have built up around him.

It definitely has problems but like all the other animated series I’ll give it at least a season. I do think the lead character is the least interesting if only because it’s Luke/Anakin/Ezra etc before stuff happens. Do we really need another character with parental issues ?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Not sure why you feel the need to give Filoni a pass but I suppose it doesn’t fit the “narrative” that some have built up around him.
Dave Filoni is the creator but he isn't the showrunner on this series so, love it or hate it, he doesn't deserve all the credit or the blame for the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks