Star Wars Rebels - Season 3

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by SamT, Jul 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Michael Henry

Michael Henry Second Unit

J. Michael Henry
    I guess the canon got reset so that he doesn't have the spider legs?

So there really was no explanation!?! That seems odd....

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

There was a comic back that came out right around Revenge Of The Sith where he had spider legs but that no longer is 'real'. However, Lucas must have liked the spider legs idea because in an episode of The Clone Wars (which is canon), Maul had spider legs when his brother found him on a junkyard world where he been living for more than a decade after his 'body' had been dumped there after Episode I.

3. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Tonight's episode was really good. Loved seeing more of Kallus and Thrawn.

Nerd info: Colonel Yularen was an admiral (frequently seen with Anakin, Obi-Wan and Ahsoka) in The Clone Wars and was in the Death Star briefing room in A New Hope.

4. NeilO

NeilO Producer

Over President's Day weekend, I saw Sam Witwer who voices Darth Maul in the show. He has been working with Star Wars since 2009. He played the dark side of the Force in the Clone Wars episodes about the Son of Mortis. He had pieces of dialogue from various villains. This convinced the supervising directory Dave Filoni that he could do Darth Maul. For the Force Unleashed video game he volunteered to do Palpatine and did so at a table read (he as actually tricked into not preparing for this and then did so on the spot). He has played his role quite a few times now. Palpatine – “he’s a guy who knows how to have a good time.”

Working with Star Wars Rebels is very much like working on Star War: The Clone Wars series. There is a lot of enthusiasm by everyone. SW:CW had a longer timeline – it took about 1.5 years to air an episode, while Rebels usually airs the same year. There was more money with SW:CW. I asked how far advance they are right now and whether he is in the next season, but he would not answer that.

joshEH and TravisR like this.
  5. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

6. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Great looking episode that was pretty exciting.

Lots of connections to old stuff in tonight's episode- from the obvious (Mon Mothma) to the more minor (Gold Leader was Dutch Vander just like in A New Hope and Rogue One) to the ridiculously obscure (the Ghorman Massacre originated in the role playing game probably almost 25 years ago).

Also, they got the same actor who played Mon Mothma in Rogue One and Revenge Of The Sith to play her here too.

Sam Favate, Josh Steinberg and joshEH like this.
  7. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I don't know if AP-5 singing was insanely funny or just insane but I loved it.

Looks like next week is the episode with
    Maul and Obi-Wan.

8. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Hard to believe there are only two episodes left this season. Both my kids and I have enjoyed this season a lot.

TravisR likes this.
  9. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yeah, there hasn't been a "HOLY CRAP! That was amazing!!!!"-episode but each one has been very, very good.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  10. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Screenwriter

Wayne
    In Disney cross promotion the Imperial intelligence guy was played by Josh Gad.

TravisR likes this.
  11. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    We just watched the "Twin Suns" episode of Rebels. It's very very good. This is the first appearance of
    the Alec Guinness Obi-Wan since the original films

Ezra's part in the episode is a bit forced, but a couple of things stood out to me.
    This has to be the shortest lightsaber fight in the history of the saga; Maul is dispatched very quickly, perhaps showing how he'd become tired, although he seemed anything but in last year's finale. The brief glimpse we get of Luke makes it seem he's a child, when he should be 18 or so, like Leia was when we saw her on Rebels. That said, this is a very nice portrayal of the Obi-Wan we see in A New Hope. I also liked how they incorporated body movements from the Ewan McGregor version of the character.

Ezra should be severely punished for disobeying Hera.

12. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    Hey, Star Wars fans, please check out my son's 17-minute cinematic short on Boba Fett he crafted after six months of editing (in between college work) using software and tools (and many fellow gamers as actors) provided by Star Wars Battlefront game, and built around a great selection of music from various sources he put together. More than 1,000 likes already and just posted on his YouTube channel last week, so please add one if you enjoy it. Thanks!

TravisR likes this.
  13. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

I actually found the episode to be rather anti-climactic, although I did appreciate what you mentioned in your spoiler about the battle. I was thinking leading up to it that it would be cool if they did that, and then it actually happened :)

Any thoughts on what Mauls comment on 'The Chosen One' was referring to?

14. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

Huh. I did not catch that at all. I was wondering throughout the episode if he was going to be revealed as a young Lobot, but by the end of the episode that went out the window.

15. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Note that everyone said 'Kenobi' or 'Master Kenobi' rather than 'Obi-Wan' so they preserved the continuity of Obi-Wan saying "There's a name I've not heard in a long time" in A New Hope.

I'm stealing this from the behind the scenes feature on starwars.com but they pointed out that Maul tries to use the hit-'em-in-the-head-with-a-lightsaber move that he killed Qui-Gon with. Different results this time though.

I saw this post yesterday afternoon and my first thought was "How did you see it already?" and then I realized it's up early On Demand, etc. I'm glad that I remembered that with only one week left in the season. :laugh:

As far as I'm concerned, he's referring to Luke but Maul and Obi-Wan are wrong about that.

The season finale should be pretty action packed.

16. Tony J Case

Tony J Case Cinematographer

I loved that how you're sitting there thinking "holy crap, this is going to be an epic throwdown the likes of which we've never seen!" and then BAM - a one swing (well, three swings) victory. That's a playbook straight out of Seven Samurai, and the sword master Kyuzo. And the ending, Maul being cradled by Kenobi - it's clear that he's not that young hothead from the Clone Wars, but someone who has been enlightened by his reflective time in the desert. Meanwhile Maul hasn't changed on bit, still a broken and lost soul. Kenobi is willing to forgive this horrible person while Maul, still stuck in the past at the point of his failure, asks for vengeance against the Sith who destroyed his life. That's way more powerful than just a lightsaber fight.

And Ezra, who has all season long been focused on finding power - in this context adding Kenobi into the Rebellion's bag of tricks, adding Kenobi's power to their own - goes out into this nothingness, this almost like a purification ritual, both physical and spiritual. Traveling through fire and coming out the other side enlightened. Meanwhile Maul faces the same test and goes mad. It'll be interesting to see where they go with Ezra now in season 4 that he's been refocused.

And can we talk about how Stephen Stanton utterly crushed it as Kenobi? I swore it sounded like they looped Guinness in a couple of spots. And that closing shot with the music? Beautiful. This was an aces episode all around!

Joseph Bolus and TravisR like this.
  17. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

That was, by far, my favorite element of the episode and I think it fits completely with the Obi-Wan we see in A New Hope.

18. NeilO

NeilO Producer

Now we know why Sam Witwer (who voices Darth Maul) didn't want to say anything about his future participation in the series.

19. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I have to say that I'm pretty impressed. I took an editing class in college (and found out that I'd have a better of chance of becoming a great neurosurgeon than an average editor) so I have a slight idea about editing and I can tell that he makes a lot of smart edits and he uses the footage well too. I looked at some other similar videos and not to be mean but they're mostly amateur hour in terms of editing and your son's isn't that. Also, the music choices and the placement is good. If he's interested in editing as a career, I think he definitely should keep going.

I almost never look at the comments on You Tube and even the people on there were complimentary too.

Hollywoodaholic likes this.
  20. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    Thanks for taking a look and the kind words, I'll pass them on to him. He's very passionate and dedicated to what he does, and I'm just a father who hopes he gets a chance to follow and make a living at his bliss.

TravisR likes this.