Star Wars Racer Revenge /PS2- my review

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marc Carra, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Marc Carra

Marc Carra Supporting Actor

I played Star Wars Racer Revenge last night, on my PS2. For those of your who liked Star Wars racer, you'll love Racer Revenge. The thing I hated the the most about Racer, was you couldn't really die. In Racer Revenge, if you take enough damage, or blow your engines, you are out of the race for good!

The graphics are much improved over Racer, and there are tons more characters and podracers to choose from. Most of them are locked until you win races, of course. Unfortunatly, for those with widescreen Tvs, like myself, there is no widescreen mode. I used 'just' mode on my Panasonic and it still looked great, with no noticeable stretching. The split screen 2 player mode, allows you to do a vertical screen split (side by side, instead of top/bottom) which works well with widesceen sets.

As for the sound, the game has a Dolby Surround mode, which actually seems to decode into Pro-logic II quite well. A few times , I swore I heard split surround material when using PLII on my system. I'd give Racer revenge a solid 8 out of 10.

Marc.

2. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Do the pods actually sound like they do int the movie this time? The sound effects on the original were a joke...

Dan

3. Marc Carra

Marc Carra Supporting Actor

Yes, the pod sounds seem to be authentic this time around.

Marc.

4. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Second Unit

With Rainbow, the Motorcross Madness guys, as developers on the game I figured it would turn out pretty well. It's nice Lucasarts has figured out who the best people are to hand a Star Wars license. Raven, Bioware, Rainbow Studios... It's a shame their internal teams got suck-tastic, though.

5. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

Is this coming out for PC?

6. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

7. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

I second the nod for Star wars Racer. And like he said repairs are critical because if you die you are out of the race. This game really gives you the effect of speed which many racing games can't seem to pull off.

Also this game supports the use of dual sticks, one for each engine, whichic is cool if you can get used to it.

The ships do sound more like the pods in the movie. They have that pulsating sound.

8. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

The ability to rotate to get through tight squeezes, as in Racer, has been removed (or at least I haven't figured it out). It doesn't seem like a a big omission, but these are pretty straightforward games and removing a little bit of strategy is a big change.
    Overall it seems like just a prettier version of Racer. No more, no less. I have the feeling that if I hadn't placed Racer, I would love this version. But having played it, this just seems like more of the same. Nothing special in my eyes...(Your mileage may vary [​IMG] )
    -Dave