What's new

Star Wars Racer Revenge /PS2- my review (1 Viewer)

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor
I played Star Wars Racer Revenge last night, on my PS2. For those of your who liked Star Wars racer, you'll love Racer Revenge. The thing I hated the the most about Racer, was you couldn't really die. In Racer Revenge, if you take enough damage, or blow your engines, you are out of the race for good!

The graphics are much improved over Racer, and there are tons more characters and podracers to choose from. Most of them are locked until you win races, of course. Unfortunatly, for those with widescreen Tvs, like myself, there is no widescreen mode. I used 'just' mode on my Panasonic and it still looked great, with no noticeable stretching. The split screen 2 player mode, allows you to do a vertical screen split (side by side, instead of top/bottom) which works well with widesceen sets.

As for the sound, the game has a Dolby Surround mode, which actually seems to decode into Pro-logic II quite well. A few times , I swore I heard split surround material when using PLII on my system. I'd give Racer revenge a solid 8 out of 10.

Marc.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Do the pods actually sound like they do int the movie this time? The sound effects on the original were a joke...

Dan

Brad Grenz

Second Unit
With Rainbow, the Motorcross Madness guys, as developers on the game I figured it would turn out pretty well. It's nice Lucasarts has figured out who the best people are to hand a Star Wars license. Raven, Bioware, Rainbow Studios... It's a shame their internal teams got suck-tastic, though.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Yes, the pod sounds seem to be authentic this time around.
Cool! It's due out March 8th here, so I may just give it a whirl... Another question, is the Tatooine course in Racer 2 and is it more like the one in the movie? The original Racer's Tatooine course was really sparse, no match whatsoever to the Tatooine track in Racer Arcade (oh my!)..

Dan (UK)

Joe michaels

Second Unit
I second the nod for Star wars Racer. And like he said repairs are critical because if you die you are out of the race. This game really gives you the effect of speed which many racing games can't seem to pull off.

Also this game supports the use of dual sticks, one for each engine, whichic is cool if you can get used to it.

The ships do sound more like the pods in the movie. They have that pulsating sound.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
The ability to rotate to get through tight squeezes, as in Racer, has been removed (or at least I haven't figured it out). It doesn't seem like a a big omission, but these are pretty straightforward games and removing a little bit of strategy is a big change.
Overall it seems like just a prettier version of Racer. No more, no less. I have the feeling that if I hadn't placed Racer, I would love this version. But having played it, this just seems like more of the same. Nothing special in my eyes...(Your mileage may vary :) )
-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks