Directors Star Wars Original trilogy: What would make you happy

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Carlo Medina, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

We all know about www.originaltrilogy.com and that there are now rumors that the OT will see the light of day on DVD in 2004. Of course that thread quickly became OT vs. SE. And then there are always the argument that you can't please everybody, and it's Lucas's movies, etc. ad nauseum.

So my question/poll is real simple: what would it take to make you happy with regards to Star Wars Original Trilogy on DVD. I'm talking base-line here, not "dream set" of the OT, but what are the bare minimum it would take to make you happy?

I'll start:

1. Each of the original versions, pre-SE.
    2. Original Aspect Ratio
    3. Original Sound (5.1 mix okay but not necessary)
    4. Clean print, restoration would be nice

I mean, sure I'd love to have matte lines cleaned up, and a kick ass 5.1 sound, but those aren't required for me to be happy with the set. Extras would be cool, but I've seen so many SW featurettes and behind the scenes over the years...I just want the darned OT movies out and I don't care if they're bare bones.

See Mr. Lucas? I'm easy to please!

2. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    In terms of bare minimum, along the same lines. Just good video and sound, OAR, of the original versions.

But just to stir it up a bit, it wouldn't be too much to ask for trailers and the original documentaries (The Making of Star Wars, SPFX: The Empire Strikes Back, Classic Creatures: Return of the Jedi, and From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga).

Just give me that and I wouldn't have a problem with anything else Lucas does with these films on DVD.

3. Carlo Medina

Actually just got finished watching Raiders of the Lost Ark...and if Lucasfilm used what they did to Indy as a blueprint for the OT (i.e. cleaned up effects but nothing substantive changed, very good OAR picture and sound) I would be as happy as a clam!

4. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Just give me anamorphic widescreen of ORIGINAL trilogy with a decent picture and sound. I have just finished transferring these to dvd-r from my LD and the anamorphic piece is the only thing missing (another exception is the picture quality isn't what dvd is today).

5. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

If it's anything like the Indy set then I'm happy!

6. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Yup. Just give me the unaltered OT in 16 x 9 with 5.1. If you must release the newer versions, go nuts, but please don't screw the people who want the 1977, 1980 and 1983 versions.

Special features are great (and inevitable, I'm sure) but I just want the movies I remember from my childhood. C'mon Lucas, your fans have been good to you! [​IMG]

7. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Each film to recieve a 4-disc edition...

Disc 1:

1977 theatrical cut
    2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen (fully cleaned by Lowry Digital Images)
    Dolby 5.1 (based on 70mm 6-track mix)
    Commentary by George Lucas
    Commentary with Mark Hamil, Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford, Peter Mayhew, Anthony Daniels, Kenny Baker, and David Prowse
    Commentary with Dennis Muren, John Dykstra, etc (basically, an ILM commentary)

Disc 2:

Director's Edition
    2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen
    Dolby Digital 5.1 (of whatever the new mix is)
    Commentary by George Lucas and ILM staff

Disc 3:

"The Vault"

This would feature trailers, commercials, posters, test footage, behind the scenes.

Disc 4:

"The Making of Star Wars"
    Basically, a 2 1/2 documentary with interviews and stuff. This would cover everything from script to current mania.

The Empire and Jedi discs would be exactly the same format.

8. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

I agree with Patrick. Love em or hate em, Star Wars and its sequels have had (arguably) more cultural impact than any other film. A bare-bones edition would simply not be satisfactory.

9. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

If I can get great A/V (OAR and original soundtrack) and the original theatrical cuts, I'll be happy.

I'll be off-the-wall estatic if they can get a great collector's edition.

10. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

I ask only for this: the opportunity to buy the films individually, not solely as a set. Empire is the only one that I'd like to own.

Ditto for the Indiana Jones flicks. They should be available individually.

11. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart
    Oh yeah....

Perhaps one of the discs could have a version of the film without special effects and sound effects added.

12. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

Well, I want to see the Original Trilogy on DVD in Anamorphic OAR. 5.1 Audio would defintly be good because, IMO, Star Wars Ep's 4-6 would benefit from a 5.1 audio track.

13. Carlo Medina

14. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

I didn't say I wouldn't want it. I'd buy it. But I would feel unsatisfied. Not because the movies by themselves aren't good enough, but because the DVDs have the potential to be so much more. There's so much material already available for these movies that it would be silly not to include at least a portion of it.

15. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart
    My idea was given in pure seriousness.

Although, a 3-discer for each film is more likely now.