Star Wars: New Jedi Order, am I the only fan?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Dec 3, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

For people who complain about how 'kiddiefied' the new movies are, I'm surprised there's no discussion of this great series.

Before they started the serialization, the books where a random series of stand alone stories, with rare Jems thrown in between them, like one side story of Luke searching for his Mother, or Hans Borther running a revolt on his homeworld.

Others, where completly weird, or boring like the Crystal Star that comes instantly to mind, or forgetfull like the New Rebellion.

With this new seris, I remember more details from these than any other book set besides the Zahn Trilogy that kicked it off. Now I find out the next book is due out in February..

Sigh. Traitor, Book 13, sounded interesting, but was too slow a read for me. Nothing really happened till the end. Destiny's Way was a great step back in the right direction, because I beleive I finsihed it in less than a week wich is rare for me. Now I have to wait 2 months to find out what happens next...

Too bad there are no sites, or official sites with inside info on the series. Anyone else in the same boat?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I think most of us gave up on the Star Wars novels right after the Kevin J Anderson series [​IMG]

3. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Heh, I thought his first three books where interesitng, but after that, I grew sick of the guy. I mean, how many death star prototypes could there be? Thankfully, they are trying new authors now and giving him a rest [​IMG].

4. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

I beg to differ. I've loved all things Star Wars since I was a child, and the majority of the books that have been printed keep my interest planted firmly in a galaxy far, far away. Granted, there has been a few *yawners*, and some books were just plain strange, but despite that I've been enjoying them. The Star Wars universe has truly been shaken, and I can't wait to see how it all turns out. My favorite was definitely the Grand Admiral Thrawn (sp?) series.

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I got as far as Jedi Eclipse before bailing. At first I was excited that Del Rey was upgrading the writers (Greg Bear!), but after a while... Who cares about these characters? I don't mean Luke, and Han, and Leia, and (sniff) Chewie - I mean the fifteen zillion other guys that have been introduced over the course of the past ten years. Thrawn and C'boath were great villains, and I'll admit to being fond of Mara Jade, but the rest of them are just people who were decent supporting characters for one book but have shown up in every one since, even if Han Solo doesn't.
    The last straw for me was seeing a Star Wars paperback on the shelf and not having the slightest idea who the girl on the cover was. Enough, I said, and refused to pick any more up. No, not even ones written by Walter John Williams.
    Of course, I've got no willpower where comics are concerned.

6. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Heh, I'm a reverse of your situation. i've picked up Dark Empire, a few of the Zahn Novelizations, but that's about it. As far as the books go, I've been picking them up since day 1. I remember it so damned weird to see a Novel with Star Wars on the cover, that I thought it was a re-telling of the original movies.
    Only when I opened it did I realize it was a continuation. Good thing my mother pointed it out to me, and I still remember the day I bought it like it was yesterday [​IMG].
    The girl on the cover, if I had to guess, is probably Jaina Solo. Can't help but wonder if they higher Real life people for those portraits or not, because these characters have never appeared in drawn form before, If I know my facts. (Wich I probably don't [​IMG]).

7. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

I've only read one comic, the one when the Emperor comes back in a new body or something. I know it has Luke in it, and he turns to the Dark Side for a while. Don't remember the title, though ...

Freddy C.

8. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

That'd be Dark Empire. And it's pretty weak.

Neil,

My brother told me it was probably Jaina. But he failed to come up with a reason why we should care, especially since the processed lumber by-product probably wouldn't have one of those "ending" things in it, anyway.

9. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

I was hooked on this series from the start. I could not believe it when they killed Chewie in the first novel. Yes, i realize the import of the event, and I understood that it meant that (in theory) all bets were off.
    That being said, I thought the series would be a good way to say goodbye to the "old guard" and have the new Jedi take up the battle. Then they killed off Anikin (solo) who I thought, at the time that he would become a great Jedi. It looks like Jacen will become the powerful Jedi who manages to reach out and eventually over come the Vong. Jania, I am not certain about. She is either going to burn out, or die. Kip Duran will, eventually, head the Jedi Council, shaking his past, or people will realize his past has tempered his thinking and come to respect him almost as much as Luke Skywalker.
    Coran Horn will also come back to join the council. The fog of his "failure" will still lurk, but his sacrifice will be remembered. I always felt of the Expanded Universe Jedi, he would be one of the leaders of the Jedi.
    EDIT: apparently hoked is a word, according to the spell checker [​IMG]

10. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

While there are a few weak books in the series overall I've enjoyed it. I almost gave up after yet another book where the good guys get hammered but I stuck with it. At least now there seems to be some balance.
    I'm a sucker for SW books [​IMG]

11. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

No. I think there is another fan. Goes by the name of Gimpy or Gimpo, or some such thing. I believe he's attending at Tekerson Tech. [​IMG]

12. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    fan too. I have just about every published SW novel, save for those for the kiddies market (e.g. Jedi Apprentice series). like Lance, I can't wait for the next book, and am somewhat miffed at having to wait another two months.

they did say in SW Insider that Star By Star was the "Hearts of Darkness" of the NJO series and definitely the low point for the Jedi. that meshes with Lance's observation (which I agree with) that Jacen's "transformation" giving him the ability to sense the Vong makes him the key Jedi in resolving the conflict.