What's new

Star Wars Laserdiscs? (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
So, how will a LD look on my 46" 16:9 Mits? I know they are not anamorphic so I will need to zoom it, correct?
I've been seriously thinking about getting the OT on LD and picking up a player. Just want to make sure they will look good before I drop the coin.
Peace Out~:D

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Well, I've never run 'em on anything bigger than my aging 29" Hitachi (though I've run 'em on a few different 29" tube TVs, and they've always been great).

But good news for you: next weekend is my geek-bachelor party, and part of the festivities will involve hooking mister CLD-D504 and mister Ashly up to a really nice projector that someone is borrowing from their office for the weekend (I've forgotten the make and model). Anyhow, we're going to watch the OT giant and loud, and then play Jedi Knight on a LAN. Yes, it's an incredibly geeky way to spend an afternoon.

I'll post my impressions of the discs when blown up big. We're going to be watching the THX 'faces' CLV discs, but I also intend to sample a bit from the THX SE box.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Ron-P,
I strongly suggest that you watch a non-anamorphic letterboxed title like 'The Abyss' hooked up via composite video and zoomed on your set.
The laserdisc will look somewhat worse than that.
You may also want to talk to J-Fo, he has watched them on his 40" 16:9 Tosh (though I think the Tosh may be a bit better at zooming).

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I have the very first DVD/LD combo player, the Pioneer DVL-700 that was released in 1996/97, how would you guys rate this model?
Personally I have no complaints although it makes a better LD player than a DVD player (being one of the first it has the same problems that most of the early DVD players had) and that is primarily what it is used for these days. Also, all these "effects that CAV offers" are to be had with CLV discs on this player via digital memory albeit a little artifacty, but not bad at all IMO.

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
Ron-P, I much depend on what player you have/get.
I have one of the best, the HLD-X9 and on my tube 32" 16x9 it looks superb and also look SUPERB on my Barco 801 on a 100" screen. Easily as good as a non-anamorphic DVD.

ScottL

Agent
Well Matt????
There a few of us here that are looking forward to your opinion of what you thought about the LD player and the LD's... :)
Scott

HankM

Second Unit
I sold my Elite CLD-79 ld player about a year ago along with the SW SE Triolgy box & Indy trilogy Japanese box. I couldn't stand to watch ld's on my Mits 46805 any more. After watching 16:9 enhanced movies for about 2 years on my set the ld player had to go. As said above, a non 16:9 dvd will still look better than ld, unless you have a tv no bigger than say 36"

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Scott...I'm extremely happy with the Pioneer CLD D505. Better than I would hae expected. And of course the LDs are great. The sound is really what get's me. I've never heard such a good prologic mix.

ScottL

Agent
Thanks Matt. :) I just had to know because I have a few bids going on players on ebay at the moment.
I have a 53" Hitachi widescreen so I am eager to see what a LD looks like. I am figuring on using the 3D comb filter of the Hitachi and going composite into the set. Hell I figure if it is better than vhs I am happy. I can then get the trilogy, Indian jones trilogy, loony tunes, and day the earth stood still.
Scott

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Well, I just put in my very first Ebay bid for the 1995 THX edition of the Trilogy. If I win it then I'll start looking for a player.

Lucas may put out the OT in its original form on DVD eventually but I don't want to take the chance. I want the untouched OT on a better format than VHS dammit!

Derek Baker

Stunt Coordinator
OK...I'M GOING TO HAVE TO GET A LASERDISC SETUP HAPPENING!!!
Man...after reading this thread i'm getting serious OT withdrawls :frowning:
I can wait any longer to hear the OT in DD/AC-3 at home any longer...
This thread could be titled so many ways ;
"George Lucas keeps the LD format alive and kicking"
or:
"The newbie guide to LD"
And even better ;
"Star Wars on LD for Dummies"

HankM

Second Unit
Derek,

The original trilogy is not available in Dolby Digital (AC-3) on ld. They are Dolby Pro-Logic surround. The special edition trilogy box set is available in Dolby Digital.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I have a very large laser/DVD collection and my equipment consists of a Mit. 55" 4x3, Pioneer DVL-700, Yamaha receiver and 6 JBL's all around(w/powered sub-woofer). Never did buy a RF demodulator...too expensive!
My laser pictures look great as do my DVD's on my 700.
When I upgrade soon to my Mit. 65" 16x9 and my Panny RP-91 or 92, I guess I will notice a big diference, but until then, I'm happy with what I have. :D

John Knowles

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Being one of the ones who has kept his LD setup up and running (DVL 919, which performs pretty well) mainly due to the SW films and some Criterions, I still really enjoy listening to the PCM soundtracks. I just haven't been able to justify the expense of a RF box just to watch the OT in 5.1.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I want the untouched OT on a better format than VHS dammit!
...and it's way better: I went from watching Jedi on LD at my house yesterday morning over to my cousin's place (my fiancee and I took her kids to see Attack of the Clones) where they were also watching Jedi, on VHS.
Despite a smaller TV, those THX VHS tapes looked just awful. It made my eyes hurt.
Thank God for LaserDisc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks