What's new

Star Wars Laserdiscs? (1 Viewer)

TedD

Supporting Actor
Just a quick note to anyone contemplating getting a LD player:

There is only one brand of player to consider if you want the best possible image: Pioneer.

In the Pioneer line there are only 4 or 5 players that will deliver the best image (Luma and Chroma S/N in particular).

The CLD-97, CLD-99, LD-S1, and LD-X1 come to mind. Any other LD player will leave someone who is used to DVD disappointed if you are using a screen larger that 32".

Ted

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
For about ten years I was running with a Pioneer CLD-990, and now I've moved to a Pioneer CLD-504 (modded with a coax out), which I am quite happy with on my aging 29" Hitachi.
Just wait until you HEAR it...mmm mmm mmm, you'll wonder what you've been doing all these years without LaserDiscs. ;)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I sure am hoping. Both the Definitive Collection and the Pioneer D505 are on their way as we speak.

StephenC

Stunt Coordinator
Matt,

I think you'll really enjoy watching all the trailers that the DC collection has,including "Revenge" of the Jedi.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
You guys are getting me too excited :)
I'm glad that I finally took the plunge. I've been without the OT for long enough!

Anthony R

Stunt Coordinator
On the timeline page, it says the original Star Wars is time compressed down to 116 mins on some versions. What does that mean exactly? Did they actually cut out scenes to make the movie fit?

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
The CED has been sped up, slightly, to fit on one disc. I think the first LD of Star Wars was like that, too, wasn't it?

Man, this thread makes me want to go home and put on Star Wars right now.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Quick question....what the hell is a CED. I saw that on the timeline, and I'm clueless.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I always love the argument that Lucas hasn't released the OT to DVD yet because he doesn't want to offend us with multiple releases (that is, better to wait until a full CE is done). He sure as hell didn't have any problem selling us six different laserdisc versions. What Star Wars fan wouldn't love some bare-bones editions to hold them over?

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Matt: I would hold off on the Defintive Collection right now, at least off Ebay. Prices fluctuate on these sets. Right now they're as high as I've ever seen them in the nearly two years I've been using Ebay. In time, these sets will settle down to the $50-$80 area.

One thing - ask the seller if his Definitive set includes the corrected Empire Stikes Back disc. An error was made in the original release of this set. On disc 2, side 1 of Empire Strikes Back, right at the beginning, part of a scene was left off. This is where Leia is welding, Han shows up and she calls him a "scoundrel". If you see Leia welding, you have the corrected disc. We're only talking about 10-12 seconds here, but you may as well get a copy that has it all. There's a risk to asking the seller this question, however. I did once, the seller promply added that tidbit to his auction description and ended selling it for about twice the typical rate for that time.

The corrected disc was made available to those who asked for a time. Later releases included it.

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
My recently purchased Pioneer player is all warmed up. My definitive set should arrive tomorrow!! I can't wait!
Todd :D

Mike_Skill

Stunt Coordinator
When Image originally released the CLV THX 'faces' versions, they were pressed at Pioneer. A subsequent pressing was done in Japan at Kurari. These are signified with a 'K' prior to the item number on the inner ring of the discs just outside the label. These pressings had a much cleaner transfer than the Pioneer versions.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Matt, you'll love the Definitive Collection. I just hope you get a good quality set, meaning the box set is beat up and scratched up. You should be fine though.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Yah. The guy said it was in perfect shape...of course he could be lying, but I doubt it.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Nah, you're probably okay. You've made a wise choice my young padawan.:D Since you might not get the originals on DVD, this was most definitely a wise investment, especially at that price.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
When Image originally released the CLV THX 'faces' versions, they were pressed at Pioneer. A subsequent pressing was done in Japan at Kurari. These are signified with a 'K' prior to the item number on the inner ring of the discs just outside the label. These pressings had a much cleaner transfer than the Pioneer versions.
Good point. I originally bought the first "faces" versions for $50+ each at a local shop in 1995. When I spotted the Def Collection at a local shop clearing all LDs for $150 I jumped on it and sold the original set for $100 all three (to some creep on alt.video.laserdisc who never paid me :angry:). When the set was repressed (in 1997?) and sold at $25 each I bought another CLV movie only set just to have to watch since the side breaks are annoying on the CAV set. The new onesa re the Kurray Japan pressing and they look better than the Pioneer USA manufactured CAV Definitives by a hair. But not for special effects like slomo - for those the CAVs rule my ass. And the extras are neato, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks