What's new

Star Wars Laserdiscs? (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Alrighty, my search for an LD player and SW Laserdiscs is finally picking up. I've decided that I just can't go any longer without watching the OT. My question is in regards to the multitude of LD releases of the films. Which should I go with...best value for price, etc.

I remember someone put up a website of all the SW releases a while back...that might be usefull now. Any help would be great, thx.

James D S

Screenwriter
Matt,

You can't go wrong with either THX set (Definitive CAV or the standard THX CLV). Both sets offer great video and original DPL soundtrack. Seems that they will be as good an OT we'll ever have. (Hope not, though!)

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
...best value for price, etc.
I just went through this process; bought the SW THX widescreen trilogy (not SE box set) on the Software for Trade Forum, and found an almost new LD player locally for 50 bucks CAD.

If you want to take advantage of the SE LD box set, you will need a LD player that will decode DD. I didn't know it until I started looking into it, but I thinnk only about 7% of all LD ever released have DD. Such a player will cost quite a bit more, unless you are lucky, and the SE box set is also considerably more.

Best value for the buck is the THX widescreen trilogy with a LD player that does DPL. In short order, I also got Indy Jones, Schibdler's List, and now finally the Mission.

Good luck! Let us know how you make out. BTW, Gregg Lowewn at one time at least had LD player(s) for sale.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
If you truly love the films, get the THX Definitive Collection Box set. It is the best version of the originals. It is pricey, but well worth it. Also, the THX CLV single sets. But if I were you, and I was investing in an LD player just for Star Wars, you owe it to yourself to get the Box Set.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I'm quickly persuing a player, and one way or another I'll get one in a couple of weeks. Although, I'm not sure that I have the funds currently to buy both a player and the Definitive Collection. So...the next best runner up would be the standard (?) THX release?

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
If that's the case, then the others are good. Not quite as good as the box set, but far superior to VHS. They are very good. Great transfer and sound.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I also have another quick question...but this is more of a Laserdisc player question. If I bought the 97 SE Release with Dolby Digital sound...what kind of audio output would I need on the LD Player. Right now I'm looking at one that has digital optical out...but I'm not sure if that's only DTS? I may sound like a moron, but only being 20...LDs were a tad before my time.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Shite...Nevermind, just found the answer to my question...no Dolby Digital without RF output. That pisses me off. Anybody know how much an equipped player will cost me?

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Matt;

I would concur that the Definitive Collection looks better overall than the "three faces" release from 1995. If you own a good, large TV, the differences will be more recognizable.

If you can find the Definitive Collection in good condition, by all means get it. If not, the CLV THX versions will be your next best bet.

I also have to say that the Pro-Logic mixes on the original versions is very good and should surprise you.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
It needs an AC-3 demodulator output. Coxial should allow you to listen to AC-3 as well.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Wow...posts are coming so fast, this is like a chat, hehe. As far as the RF output...I suppose I'm screwed on that one, but then again...I prolly don't want the SE release anyway.

As far as the Definitive Collection, let me first say that I don't have a "good, large TV" ... I own a 27" Wega. But was wondering...how much should the Definitive Collection cost me. I suppose I'll take a look at ebay...but wondered. Thanks for all the help guys! I really appreciate it.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
That's correct. I forgot. Coax is good for DTS. But you need, as Rob said, a player with an AC-3 RF demodulator. It's been a long time since I've been invloved with LDs. But Rob is correct.

As for the Definitive Collection, it retailed for $250 US. But you should be able to find it for much less. But considering that many think the originals want be released on DVD, people might be unwilling to part with it getting a lot of money for the set. The box set doesn't have AC-3, but it's Pro-Logic is exceptional. The best the films have ever been.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Hmm. That is probably what I'd like to get. Quickly perusing eBay, I noticed that the standard THX release goes for ~ 50 while the definitive collection goes for ~ 100. Is it worth the extra 50? Also...does anyone know anywhere else that I can pick these up. I'm wary to resort to eBay, as I've been screwed quite a few times...but if worse comes to worse :)
Thanks!

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Matt, if it was me, and I could get the Definitive Collection for $150 less than retail, I'd snatch it up in a hurry. But it's ultimately up to you. I haven't seen the THX single film LDs, but I've heard they're very good as for picture and sound. But the Definitive Collection is the creme de la creme of LD box sets. It really is stunning for an LD.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Well of course...and I agree with that. I mean, if it were 100% up to me, I'd jump on it...but the decision is partially up to my wallet :) and he's currently not speaking with me, hehe.
Aside from the commentary, are there any other extras.
Honestly, I shouldn't even be talking about this...I should just be buying it. You should see pics of my room at home Terrell...I have about 9 grand worth of Star Wars memoribilia...hehe. It's nutz...people walk in and their jaw hit's the floor, :)

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Jeez! That's way more than me. In that case, you'd be silly not to get it. This box set is the ultimate collector's item. It gives you that pride of ownership that so few DVDs do. As for my wallet, it hasn't spoken to me in a decade. I've spent more than 25 grand on home theater equipment. I've purchased about 100 DVDs, although I've only entered about 60 in my DVD profiler. And I can't seem to stop spending money.:angry:

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I agree...It's a must-buy. No doubt about it.

Oh yah...any idea about the other extras?

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Let me look. It's been a while since I've seen it. I know it has interviews. Let me look.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Yes, there are extensive extras. I'll list them.

So hang on. To tell you the truth, I haven't even watched the extras yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks