What's new

Star Wars laserdisc with Pro-Logic II - Is this possible? (1 Viewer)

Eric_R_C

Second Unit
Is this possible?

Japan Star Wars Trilogy Special Ed Box Set
Item # 1568935496

It's a LASERDISC set with Prologic II. Didn't Prologic II come out like 2 years ago? I thought the discs weren't being made anymore, unless Japan stopped later than we did.
Anyone know anything about this? I couldn't find this on IMDB.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Japan did stop later than the US. In fact, I'm not completely sure laser production in Japan is 100% dead yet.

As for "pro logic 2" encoding - realize that any soundtrack is compatible with DPL2- it is simply a DSP. Any soundtrack specifically designed for DPL is going to also have good results with DPL2. DPL2 is not an audio format (despite the video game world trying to market it as such).

-Vince

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
While it's possible to encode matrixed surround to intentionally control the rear channels discretely and with full frequency range (when played through DPL2), I'm sure this is just the regular SE box set.

The 2.0 (Pro-logic compatible) track of 'Blade II' is actually specifically encoded for maximum separation and panning when played through Logic 7. The same could be done for DPL2 if desired.

Vince is right, DPL2 and Logic 7 are not 'formats', but you can encode matrixed surround to be enhanced when played on those circuits.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Nintendo pushing Pro-Logic 2 is basically them goind "Gee wizzies, we should have included a digital out in our design"

Eric_R_C

Second Unit
That's what I thought. However, the seller appears to have a "picture" of the cover, and the bottom-left corner has a THX: DOLBY DIGITAL: Prologic II logo. I just wanted to check this out before I emailed him with questions.
BTW, Michael, your sig on IMAX is Too Damn Funny! :)

GregK

Screenwriter
I'm going to disagree with the bunch and say DPL-2 can be and is a separate encoding format, but DPL-2 also can extract stereo surrounds from DPL-1 sources. "Now wait a minute Greg! ..you just contradicted yourself in the same sentence" most will say. Well in a way I did and didn't:

When a 5.1 soundtrack is downmixed to Dolby Surround 2.0, the left and right rear are summed together and mixed out of phase in the two channel downmix. Decoding this mix with a DPL-2 decoder (in the movie mode) will offer potential split surrounds, but only from material that is panned between surround back and left and right front. And the split surrounds will produce some material due to matrix leakage with complex material, which is typical of all matrix decoders. ...But note the TRUE left and right surround are forever mixed together in a typical Dolby Surround downmix.

Ahh, but what if the 5.1 soundtrack was DPL-2 ENcoded? Well the left and right rear channels are still mixed out of phase but each at different amplitudes, leaning either a little towards left front or right front. For the most part, DPL-2 encoded material decodes just fine in DPL-1 set-ups, but DPL-2 decoding obviously gains the opportunity to extract the original left and right surround tracks. Sure it's still not discrete 5.1, but it certainly offers the original split surround channels (again with leakage), where as DPL-1 encoded tracks do not.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Who is selling this? It might just be a bogus cover scan for an older LD release.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
"Dolby Prologic II" logo on a LaserDisc cover?

*** cough ***PhotoShop*** cough ***

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
get the guy to email you photos of the ACTUAL covers. These sound bogus to me. I honestly would not buy anything so fishy. I would look for the actual black and silver SE's.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The guy puts DPL-II in just about every auction I've ever seen him run. The picture listed has the DPLII overlay on it, but it isn't on the cover of the disc cover/jackets.

These do appear to be the Japanese SE BoxSet which doesn't have the black and silver box, but it does look like what he's described in the ad. I can't remember if there is an insert inside the box which looks like his picture or if that picture is an edited composite. There is a sealed set of the same box set lower down which has a full picture of the actual outer box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.