What's new

Star Wars laser discs opinion needed (1 Viewer)

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
I may buy a laser disc player just so I can have Star Wars in the original theatrical presentation. I've heard of laser rot, is this something to worry about long term for this set?
Todd

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I concur with Ange - on both points! My THX discs are still flawless in the 6+ years that I've owned them. Of course, I must state that with a collection of over 100 LDs, I've never experienced a laser rot problem.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
You may, however, experience brain rot from watching the $Es.
Then you are missing out on one hell of a good transer. The picture quality on the SE trilogy is incredibly good.

Todd, all laserdiscs are susceptible to laser rot. Rot isn't something that is specific to the Star Wars laser discs. I wouldn't even concern myself with such an issue as long as the discs you are going to purchase don't have said problem.

There was supposedly a "rolling bar" problem with the Definitive Collection. That could be the issue you came across vis-a-vis Star Wars LDs. I have the Definitive Collection and the THX versions and both are fine. I've had them for years.

Buy them and enjoy them! The sound on the THX and Defnitive Collection is outstanding especially if you have Pro-Logic II.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Todd, all laserdiscs are susceptible to laser rot.
I agree with Tom, but would add that some titles do seem to suffer from laser rot to a greater degree. This results from the fact that laser rot usually stems from a problem in the original manufacture of the disc.

Fortunately, the Star Wars LDs are not among those discs that have a long history of reported problems with rot.

M.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Cannot wait for Episode II. It's great seeing Christopher Lee get some great heavy roles. He's a great screen presence.
I'm really curious what George will do when he releases the Star Wars films on DVD. I wonder, but am skeptical, that perhaps he will release three versions of the films (original, Special Edition, and the new dvd film version). I know he will add footage to the originals and probably enhance them as well after Episode III is completed. I'm hoping that the original cuts of the original trilogy will somehow be included on the dvd's. I'm probably living in a fantasy land though huh? :D

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
It would be nice if Lucas would see what Spielberg is doing with E.T. on DVD (original and SE version) and do the same.

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
I bought a THX set that had one disc rotted out of the box, so it is something to worry about. I'd get the LDs, then get a DVD recorder and make copies.

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
Let's give input to Todd on the Laserdiscs
I'm trying to decide if its worth investing in a laser disc player to get these. I know if I don't I'll never see the version I saw in the theater ever again (13 times original theatrical run), I would get these, and perhaps Song of the South.
Todd

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I have some rot-free discs that are over 20 years old and were at times in humid environments, so I question whether all discs are subject to rot.

The SE box does have better picture quality, but it's not worth it to me...the movie is the main thing, and the SEs don't do it for me.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Beyond bad manufacturing, very rough handling can break a disc's edge seal and initiate rot. I droped an LD after taking it out of a player once and it landed hard on an edge and rot started. All production rot will begin within a year of manufacture and will be readily apparent by age 2. The STAR WARS THX trio has a very low production rot rate, from all accounts.

There are players that will read through rot very well. The HLD-X9 and LD-S2 are the ones I'm aware of. Best wishes from Laserland!

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I'm trying to decide if its worth investing in a laser disc player to get these. I know if I don't I'll never see the version I saw in the theater ever again (13 times original theatrical run), I would get these, and perhaps Song of the South.
If I were a betting man, I would place a pretty large wager that Song of the South will never get an official Disney release. Disney has all but disavowed the film.

Apropos Star Wars, George Lucas has never stated that the theatrical versions are gone. He has only said that the original trilogy would not be released on DVD until after Episode III (2005). The fact that Lucas' best friend, Steven Spielberg, is going to release the theatrical version of E.T. on DVD is a good sign. I'm guessing that Lucas will follow Spielberg's lead.

If you can wait three years for the DVD, hold off on buying the lasers. I say go for the LD player and the discs. The LDs may not be anamorphic, 5.1, etc. but they have damn good sound and picture quality. You can probably obtain a laserdisc player for a small price, but I have no idea what the THX version of the Star Wars Trilogy is going for these days. The last time I checked, they were fetching around $60.

Bruce Cadotte

Stunt Coordinator
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may, however, experience brain rot from watching the $Es.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you may not like what they did to the movies for the special editions but they sound so good in 5.1 sound,

watched ESB last night with my 11 year old son,he did not move from the couch the entire time it was on.

by the way if you have a laserdisc machine with AC-3

output,sony does have de-mods in stock.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I, too, have to admit that I've been thinking more and more lately about LD and the Original Star Wars Trilogy.
I tried to view my ANH VHS Widescreen tape the other day on my FPTV system and, in addition to the awful softness and the smearing colors, I was really struck by how "non-linear" straight line objects like walls and corridors appeared in the background.
It's really to the point that I just can't view VHS anymore.
I resent the fact that the Original Trilogy is officially available in every format known to man *except* DVD. (It's even available for the RCA Selectivision CED system for crying out loud; and I wouldn't be surprised if it made it to D-Theater before DVD!) But I've now resigned myself to the fact that we will not be seeing these films on DVD until after 2005. (The current issue of Sound and Vision even recommends alternative Star Wars activities to pursue while waiting for the DVD's to appear in 2006!) So it seems to me as though LD is the only legal way for me, and many like me, to view these films at home at this point.
I wouldn't resent this so much if it wasn't for the fact that I can't just walk into my local Sears and purchase a player and then walk over to Suncoast and purchase the Star Wars LDs. I can't do this, of course, due to the fact that LD has not been manufactured and distributed in this country since the Fall of 1999 when the Raiders of the Lost Ark re-release to that format was cancelled.
I also bitterly resent the fact that I've spent the last three years upgrading my HT; and, now that I've got it the way I want it, I will not be able to view the OT on this equipment in a digital format until the equipment is considered to be old and worn out.
So … As I say, I’m sitting here pondering the acquisition of a format that’s considered to be obsolete just so I can view the OT in something better than VHS Widescreen at home.
Oh well … I guess that’s what being a HT “nut” is all about! :)

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
The big Star Wars Box set that came out about 7-10 years ago (I think it was called the Definite Collection and retailed for $250) had a lot of laser rot problems, but I think the later released seperate discs (of both the SE's and the originals) were good pressings.

Todd, believe me, its worth purchasing either Star Wars boxset - the origional 9 disc boxset includes a superb hardback book, runs in CAV (plenty of side changes unfortunately) tons of extra,s and best of all, this is the ORIGIONAL release sans extra footage.

Sound is THX dolby but great regardless.

The special edition boxset is definately the best transfer but not shown in its correct ratio- having owned both, the difference is marked.

Sound is much improved over the origional boxset and as for laser rot, my collection runs to over 100 discs and have only come across one case of the dreaded rot- Air force One which is well publicised.

If your not too bothered about the lack of dolby digital and can live without the 'special editions' extra scenes, the origional boxset is the one to go for.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I also want to add the Definitive Collection is a great set. It has commentary tracks (they don't run for the duration of the film), some stills and a book on George Lucas.

StephenC

Stunt Coordinator
The one thing I love about the Definite Collection is that it contains all the original trailers,including "Revenge" of the Jedi.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I wanted to mention that I have a DEFINITIVE COLLECTION Boxset that has rotted on the original A NEW HOPE disc(side one and even more so on side two) so there is a possibility of rotting with this set. Otherwise the transfers are absolutely first rate, though the SE box has better picture and sound overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks