What's new

STAR WARS home video timeline -- need help!! (1 Viewer)

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
I'm in the process of finishing up my Star Wars on home video timeline.
I just need to know what the hell this VHS set is!
sw-definitive-vhs.jpg

Anyone know anything about this set?? I've never even heard of such a thing!
The only box sets I know that were associated with the 1st THX remasters were the LD "Definitive Collection", the VHS P/S bundle and the VHS WS Edition
star_wars_thx_box.jpg

Can anyone tell me more about this VHS "Definitive" set?
------------------
webmaster davisdvd.com
International Exclusives

DannyS

Second Unit
I have it! :) What do you need to know?
------------------
Panasonic TX-21M2T TV
Sony DVP 536
Old Panasonic Stereo! :)

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
Whoa... cool, a Star Wars home video timeline? Let me us know when you finish it, I'm very interested in it.
------------------
F
frank.jpg

DannyS

Second Unit
It was released christmas 1995 in the UK in stricly limited numbers.
It cost me £80.
It comes in a sturdy metal tin embossed with the imperial logo and exector name and numbers. (similar to a black box recorder)
It contains the 3 original untouched movies in widescreen.
On each tape of the films are numerous extras, makings of , animatics, sound design, pop videos.
the 4th tape is from star wars to jedi.
The set comes with a limited edition certificate, script book for all three films with time coding. 3 art prints of the covers used for the standard "last releases". and various matte painting prints. It also comes with a "programme" listing the full contents af all videos.
If you need that I'll mail you the running order.
On ebay it did once go for around £500. that was a few years ago now.
This is so damn rare I haven't seen it on ebay, or anywhere else for that matter since.
The video's I suspect are VHS versions of the laserdisc box set that arrived around the same time in 9 discs with a book (george lucas the creative impulse).
------------------
Panasonic TX-21M2T TV
Sony DVP 536
[Edited last by DannyS on August 16, 2001 at 04:53 AM]

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
And why couldn't all that neat stuff have been included with the USA Definitive Collection box set? I want it - except that it's tape.
------------------
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

DannyS

Second Unit
the actual distribution for this is unknown to me, all I can say is that mine is a pal uk set. Whether or not it was released anywhere else is unknown to me.
The Facehugger ALien case box set is another mystery.
My Brother owns that and it's a pretty lovely thing,
4 tapes, booklet, art stills, certificate, t shirt, badges
all wrapped up in a moulded face hugger carry case. wonderful!
------------------
Panasonic TX-21M2T TV
Sony DVP 536

DannyS

Second Unit
jsut out of curiosity.. where did you get the picture of the box set?
------------------
Panasonic TX-21M2T TV
Sony DVP 536

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I can tell you about the bottom set. Its a w/s set released in Aug of 95. It was advertised as the last time the classic trilogy would be released. Its also known as the first THX certifed VHS release. Theres no extras; just the 3 films in w/s. The covers are the Vader, yoda, and stormtrooper half face for each film.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I too have this set. I guess it might have only been in the UK but I kept the 'press bit' (which has that image you showed) which was stuck inside the cellophane underneath.
It claims 'only 20,000 will be produced worldwide' and mine is number 09934.
However, I pre-ordered mine at HMV Manchester (where I was at uni) but after they came out there were some still sitting around - I think the price put people off.
It is a good set and was the 'special' version of the THX release.
In the UK Star Wars has been released in the following forms:
Original:
4:3 was out retail in '87. The W/S versions followed in about '91 or '92. - white spines
Then in '94 there was the Digitally Remastered versions (both 4:3 and 2.35:1). These had black spines with silver writing and new covers. I think Star Wars had the proper UK poster but Empire and Jedi had crappy ones. Empire (4:3) had the 'Gone With The Wind' poster but corrected to include Lando and some other stuff.
In '95 they then released the black tin and the THX boxed sets (both 4:3 and 2.35:1), billing it as the last time we would get the original Star Wars trilogy on video.
The last two sets have been the Special Edition versions. The first lot (in '97 I guess) had silver (sorry, platinum) in Widescreen and gold for 4:3 coloured sleeves, sat inside a black vader helmet outer casing.
Obviously the most recent set was designed to match the style of the Phantom Menace stuff.
Phew. Hope that helps. I can scan in the covers for you of the the first two sets of widescreen ones.
Theo

Andrew Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
I believe the first widescreen version of the trilogy came out in 90 in NA. It was in a blue box with a hologram on the front, and came with the Star Wars to Jedi tape as well. It also had an edited version of the Lucas book whose title escapes me.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
Andrew,
The year was actually '92. I rememeber it specifically because my wife & I were married in August of '92 and I remember reading in the September '92 Starlog about the impending release. Best Christmas Gift I ever gave myself...
------------------
~Marriage is great but she keeps leaving the toilet seat down...~

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I don't think we have anything to worry about there. Given what he's done on VHS already, we can look forward to MANY different DVD releases of Star Wars in the coming years...
And, we'll probably buy em all too...

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I was just looking at an old rental copy of Star Wars I inherited, catalog 1130. Was this the first issue or a later one? I also have Jedi and Empire and all seem about the same age.
Never mind, these are Hi-Fi Stereo.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc
[Edited last by Jeff Ulmer on August 16, 2001 at 04:28 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks