Star Wars Helmets!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jason Pancake, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Jason Pancake

Jason Pancake Stunt Coordinator

Must... use... restraint...

You can buy life size Star Wars helmets!

Buy Star Wars Helmets!

I know what I want for Christmas! A bit pricey at $300 each but damn they are sweet!

2. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Yikes. Like I need MORE expensive things to purchase. [​IMG]

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

$300? Geez, they had BETTER be approved for use as a motorcycle helmet at that price.

(Well looks like they aren't! Oh well...at least they look kind of cool.)

4. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

With the right tools you can make them much cheaper in your own oven. [​IMG] I have chatted with a couple guys at various conventions in the 501st Stormtrooper legion (http://www.fl501st.com) that made their entire costumes rather quickly with just a few simple tools [​IMG]

5. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Sure, you can heat a sheet of plastic in your oven and then form it around a mold, but where did you get the mold? The talent to make the mold, and the patience to throw it away and start over repeatedly until it turns out right, are two things I don't have.

A friend and I are working on a pair of stormtrooper costumes. Fortunately the talent part of the equation is considerably reduced because, like most of the 501st, we bought the white plastic armor and helmet in kit form. All the work goes into assembling the kit and making nifty modifications (for size/comfort, ease of putting it on and taking it off, and making sure it doesn't break or fall apart while wearing it) that go far beyond the instructions and materials included with the kit.

A lot of the props and costume pieces from Star Wars come from various obscure objects which were stuck together to make something new and not so obviously Earth-derived. See www.partsofsw.com for many examples.