Star Wars game for PC - which one?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Steve Kuester, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Steve Kuester

Steve Kuester Second Unit

I've got this "friend" who wants to be a Jedi Knight in his spare time. Which one of these games will make him feel like a Jedi?

Knights of the Old Republic
    Knights of the Old Republic II - Sith Lords
    Jedi Academy
    Jedi Outcast

Any other recommendations? PC performance should not be an issue for any of these titles. Remember, this is for a friend of mine. I don't want to be a Jedi, really.

Thanks in advance.

2. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Hmm, well Jedi Outcast is a little old, but it was generally pretty meh. Didn't play academy, so I'm assuming about the same (more of a shooter than a jedi game).

The real winner there is KOTOR (followed by KOTOR2). You get lightsaber combat (and customization), along with great force powers and lots of opportunity to use them for good or evil. There also happens to be a great story and a deep RPG there as well. KOTOR2 is also good, but falls a little short of the original (although the technical glitches from the Xbox might have been fixed for the PC version). There's more complex lightsaber construction, and the bonus of being able to start off as a jedi character rather than become one later. Your "friend" would do well to buy one (or both) of these-unless RPGs REALLY aren't your thing...

3. Romier S

Romier S Producer

I disagree with you completely there, Chris. Outcast is an excellent game. Especially if you are looking for something more action oriented. It can be played from both first and third person. The opening levels are a little slow (and very typical FPS) until you get your lightsaber around level 3 or so. Once you do though, the game really opens up into an extremely fun experience. You'll have force powers to use and you'll never want to put your lightsaber away. If you want something fast paced and actiony, you can't go wrong with Outcast.

Knights of the Old Republic is a completely different animal. It's an RPG and it's pace is very methodical as it is trying to tell an engaging story. You will spend a great deal of the game in conversation sequences with various NPC's. You can select different dialogue choices that will dictate whether your character will be a light or dark side character. The moral choices and engaging conversation are what make KOTOR such a wonderful experience and one of my favorite Star Wars games. The combat is a combination of real time and turn based. You do not have direct real time control of your lightsaber swings for instance, but you will be directing your characters actions and attacks. It's Bioware's signature combat engine and I've been a fan of it for a long time.

I'd skip Jedi Academy all together. It was the sequel to Outcast and wasn't anywhere near as good IMHO. Also, I wouldn't recommend playing KOTOR II until you have completed the first game, since the sequel is a direct continuation.

Overall, both Outcast and KOTOR offer two very different experiences. Your "friend" will want to decide which one best suits them.

EDIT: Your friend may also want to consider giving Republic Commando a try. It's a fun little shooter that will last you a good 8-10 hours. The squad based stuff is pretty neat and it plays really nicely. The online play is also quite fun if a little vanilla.

4. James T

James T Screenwriter

I second Jedi Outcast. But since Outcast is part three in the series, if you can find Jedi Knight, it'll be even better. You can skip Dark Forces(first game), as the connection to the other series are pretty weak.

I didn't like Academy. It is a sequel to the Kyle Katarn games, but you're a whole new character.

I like KOTOR. It's a great game. One of the best Xbox games I've played. But like Romier said, it's a completely different game.

5. Steve Kuester

Steve Kuester Second Unit

Thanks fellas,
    I've never played an RPG, only a few shoot'em-ups (SW Battlefront, MoH) and a Nascar Sim. I think I might give both Outcast (if I can find it??) and KOTOR a try. I have a feeling KOTOR may take me quite a while though, as I don't play all that often. It took me at least 6 months to finish MoHAA.

Maybe I'll try Outcast first. That might satisfy my need to hack and slash with a lightsaber.

Can I ask why you guys didn't like Academy? It's a newer game, I would think the graphics and such would be better than Outcast.

6. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Minor improvements at best. Both games run on the Quake III engine and are very similiar in appearance.

7. Sean Eldridge

Sean Eldridge Second Unit

I just got a Darth Vader skin I want to try out for Academy. But as I just wiped my computer, I don't have it installed right now.

Sean

Oh, and a Princess Leia one as well!

8. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Ive been looking into SW games myself.

Ive played/playing right now
    Ep III- Loved it
    Outcast drove me crazy
    Academy- 4th level; jury is still out
    Battlefront- Just got it; seems cool though

Havent played
    Obi-Wan- Heard it sucked
    Starfighter- See above
    Clone Wars- No reviews
    Pod Racer- See Clone Wars
    Knights Old Republic I or II- Heard they were good

Am I right on my assumptions? Opinions or personal reviews are welcome. Im on Xbox BTW. I like shooters that wont turn my hair grey. I have a limited patience level as well.

BTW, Is this a complete list of SW Xbox games? Am I missing any?

9. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

So many star wars games, and so many really really bad ones. As for the ones that Matt mentioned, Obi Wan wasn't as bad as people thought-I enjoyed it, and thought it had decent lightsaber and force power controls. Haven't played it since it first came out though. Starfighter was OK I suppose, but if I want a star wars shooter/flight game, I'll go back to X-Wing or Tie Fighter any day.

Actually, I'd love to see a remake/revisit of the X-Wing or Tie Fighter games-I never actaully played the last iteration (alliance), but played the hell out of X-Wing (WAY too hard) and Tie Fighter back in the day. Still, without a proper flight stick and a hell of a lot of buttons, it just wouldn't be the same. Of course, if they went Steel Battallion on it with a custom controller...then I think I'd HAVE to buy it.