What's new

Star Wars Galaxies CD KEY/Account question (1 Viewer)

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
I picked up Star Wars Galaxies a few days ago from a used store for $18 even though i was going to hold off on playing for a while i figured at that price i couldn't pass it up.

Anyway, when i installed the game and entered the CD key to activate my account it said the cd key was already in use and wouldn't let me use it. I assume there's not really any way around it (and whoever originally bought the game is still using their account). I have 7 days to return the game and get my money back, but i figured i'd post here first and see if anyone knew of a way to make it work.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Call LucasArts. They have a procedure for new CD-Keys. Basically you photocopy your disc and mail/fax that to them and they send you a new one

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Wish I would have known that earlier. A friend bought a couple of used copies off Ebay at a really low price, but they did not come with the account information. The seller didn't want to give that up so my friend had to eat the cost. I thought she had contacted Lucasarts but maybe she didn't. In any case, please post back if they are able to help you as I am curious about that.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Are you supposed to contact LucasArts or Sony Online Entertainment? I don't have Star Wars Galaxies (been thinking about it) but I know SOE is involved with it because I play Planetside which is also an SOE game.

I think it would be fair justice if they were to shut down the seller's account once they have proof that you are in possession of the CDs. But in reality they would probably be more than happy to collect the monthly subscription fees from both of you, and from that point of view they could even be thankful to the seller for "recruiting" you into the game.

My Planetside game came with an additional CD code which you could give to a friend and let him borrow your CDs for a free 7 day trial.

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
Everything on lucasarts website says that support for Galaxies is being handled through SOE. Their phone support doesn't open for about another half hour (12PT) so i will try calling them sometime this afternoon and will let you guys know what they say either way.

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
Talked to representative at SOE who told me that the cd keys were only valid for one user and basically said that no used copies of the game would work, so i will just return it. Was at least worth calling to find out.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
That sucks. SOE should put a stipulation on the box or on the game saying that used games are not allowable for a new cd key regeneration. You are forced to buy new.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Well, you can buy it used, you just have to be sure to get the Station account name and password. Of course, buying it used from a store would seem unlikely to work since I doubt they would have that information.

Kong - Not to thread-jack, but did you decide to keep your account or are you going to be giving up SWG soon?

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
This is standard fair for MMORPGS... it's too bad there are people abusing that to make a quick buck :-/

Since SWG doesn't need the CDs once you've installed it, and there is no good reason to bother makeing them up dupable this is way too easy :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks