Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided releasedate june 26

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by oscar_merkx, Jun 18, 2003.

1. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

http://www.starwars.com/eu/news/2003...s20030617.html

"The release of Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided is a truly defining moment for LucasArts and we're confident the game will meet player's expectations," says Simon Jeffery, president of LucasArts. "The current subscription plan for Star Wars Galaxies is reflective of the game's high quality and competitive with the current marketplace. No matter which subscription option players choose they'll be able to look forward to a constant stream of dynamic content and features, first-rate customer service and much, much more."

"After three years of intense development, we're thrilled by the imminent release of Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided," says John Smedley, president, Sony Online Entertainment. "We're honored that LucasArts felt only Sony Online had the right combination of technical know-how and game design skills to produce a game of this scope. The Star Wars Galaxies team has been working non-stop to deliver a product that lives up both to the stature of the Star Wars license and the expectations that LucasArts had set for us."

[​IMG]

2. Mario_Y

Mario_Y Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, but I heard it's not being released for the Xbox...[​IMG]

3. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

I don't see how the X-Box can even run the game. As soon as the NDA is lifted I will tell all.

4. Scott "E"

Scott "E" Second Unit

5. Joshua Moran

Scott, funny. Anyway after searching the beta boards your X-Box version is still in development it is just put on hold for a little while until things get worked out with the PC version. Also the X-Box version will have it's own servers and be its own game. You will not be able to play with the PC people.

6. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

Is this game any good? I've heard that they are pretty much releasing an unfinished beta of the game...typical...

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

From what I hear, if you liked Everquest you'll like this

But frankly, unless it plays like Jedi Knight, I ain't touching it

(Following post: Insert "Jeff is closed minded, doesn't appriciate great game design etc etc from someone, probably Romier,)

Response: I will touch no SW RPG that doesn't play like Jedi Knight, full contact action-arcade asskicking. I've seen the best, don't need to try the rest. It's what I want and I'm sticking to it. [​IMG]

8. Michael St. Clair

From Penny Arcade. I think Gabe is a beta tester.

9. NickC

NickC Second Unit

Still undecided on this one... If I get it at all, it will be a few months after release, I want to hear what some of the beta testers have to say once the NDA is lifted..or they could email me, jk...

It seems to be a mixed crowd...

10. Dave W

Dave W Stunt Coordinator

Yea not sure about this one myself. Most of the previews I've read have been more along the lines of a "feature list" than an "early impression". I'm pretty confident in stuff like graphics and sound and even server stability but, what I'm not confident in is actual GAMEPLAY. Any beta-testers that can shed some light without violating the NDA...?

11. Joshua Moran

Hear I will do the best I can without breaking NDA. It plays nothing like jedi knight or eq. You don't need to run from town to town their are shuttles in the game. Everything else I have to keep tight lipped about at the moment so that I don't loose my account. But hopefully the NDA will be lifted soon.

12. Romier S

Romier S Producer

13. NickC

NickC Second Unit

I have never played a MMORPG such as everquest before, I am on the ropes with this one, I really want to try it out and see what SWG is all about and make it my first MMORPG, with SWG and knights of the old republic coming out within a month of each-other, I am not sure sure If i feel confident enough that I will like this game to pay 50 for it and then the montly fees...

14. Michael St. Clair

Quotes from another forum

15. Damian James

Damian James Stunt Coordinator

I'll weigh in after the NDA is lifted with specifics myself, but for now lets just say I won't be making that purchase.

16. Scott_W

Scott_W Stunt Coordinator

Seems this is being released to make the 2nd quarter. Lots of beta testers are talking, and mentioning unfinished classes, unbalanced gameplay, boring fights, etc. A huge patch went in recently as well, which will probably cause more problems then solve.

Its looking a lot like Anarchy Online all over again, which isn't good. I'm sure people will defend the game quite a bit, as its Star Wars, and lots of people are very passionate about it. But it appears that people should really wait for a few months, or half year first, and let the game get to the state it should be released in.

Michael posted some quotes from another board where there is a lot of discussion, and not much of it good. I haven't seen one person in the beta that thinks the game is really ready.

17. Mario_Y

Mario_Y Stunt Coordinator

I had a lot of problems with Anarchy Online, as far as the lag issues in big cities where people gathered; that's one of the big reasons I switched to a console, and stopped playing MMORPG's on my computer. But, as of yet, the only game I have that's similar is PSO, and while good, it doesn't cut it...!

One of my main attractions with EQ (and still is) is that you had a choice; you could actively level, enjoy the scenery, go to different places, take on a quest or two, meet your friends or make friends. To me, that's what an MMORPG should be: choice! Hopefully this or TFLO will be it...or something else...!! I'll pay a monthly if it's worth it.

18. Kevin Reckelhoff

Kevin Reckelhoff Stunt Coordinator

One note for Michael StClair and others: there is a bias in the reports you are seeing. Disgruntled people are the people who are breaking NDAs, people who are satisfed or excited are more likely to respect them. That's not to discount the negative reports, just to say that fanboys will be unleashed with counter arguments any day now [​IMG]

(Note, this isn't a theory--its an observation based on what's happening on the beta boards and misc other forums like this one.)

I'm not sure which camp I'm in yet. I've played Ultima Online for four years, and I'm not going to cancel for SWG. On the other hand, I still have a preorder for SWG and I'm not going to cancel that either. As others have indicated, I'll be back when the NDA is lifted and elaborate on the pros and cons as I see them.

19. Michael St. Clair

Kevin,

I'm just passing along info I see, I'm not making any value judgements. Of course we should all take flames in online forums with a grain of salt.

I do think Gabe from PA generally has some decent insight, and isn't some knee-jerk gaming fanboy.

20. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer