Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds - Any good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Clinton McClure, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I've gone to the LucasArts website and tried to download the demo, but it is missing files and will not work when I try to play it.

Can anyone tell me if this is a good game or a waste of $40?

Thanks.

2. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    Do you like Age of Empires' style of RTS gameplay? If not, don't even bother. Actually it is quite better then Age of Empires, mainly because it is Star Wars based, but if you like RTSs like Red Alert 2 and Emperor: Battle for Dune then it is going to take a lot of getting used to.

3. Brandon_H

Brandon_H Stunt Coordinator

I'm with Travis. I love this game and play it frequently, but then again, I love Age of Kings and I play that frequently too, and I love Star Wars. If you're not a fan of one or both, it's probably not worth your time.

It's a solid little game, but it doesn't *quite* capture the feel of those epic SW battles, perhaps because it's in 2D. Of course, LucasArts tried 3D with Force Commander, and we know what happened. . .

One thing -- I think the "Clone Campaigns" expansion pack greatly improves this one. IF you can afford to drop the cash for both I would.

4. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I've never played Age of Empires. I know it uses the Age of Empires engine, but I'm not familiar with the game itself.