What's new

Star Wars Episode VIII "The Last Jedi" Coming December 15, 2017 (1 Viewer)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Pretty sure SOLO was shot digitally, no Russian shenanigans with Kodak possible with that.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I also had many problems with The Last Jedi, but my experience (or yours) does not make the research done as part of this study less true. Anyone who has ever studied or worked in academia knows the kind of work that's done in these studies and that there is a science to it. You cannot so easily discount a work like this.

Frankly, I don't think any serious academic research was done, I personally feel it's Disney's publicity department attempting damage control.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I thought the article was pretty funny about Russian trolls hijacking the Last Jedi. I guess during the period between election cycles they like to mess with movies. Might as well.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
With the new "less Star Wars" Disney I'm worried that Rian Johnson's planned trilogy might get scrapped. Especially with the very vocal backlash from A lot of fans, not critics.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
With the new "less Star Wars" Disney I'm worried that Rian Johnson's planned trilogy might get scrapped. Especially with the very vocal backlash from A lot of fans, not critics.
I think the failure (for now) of the anthology movies makes it less likely that Riann Johnson's trilogy will be cancelled, since Disney needs product in the pipeline.

However, if the first one in the new trilogy underperforms, I could see them taking it away from him and giving the subsequent two movies to a more commercial filmmaker.

I do think these movies will be less controversial, because the two biggest complaints about The Last Jedi -- that Johnson took too many liberties with the classic trilogy characters and that he burned through too many of the plot threads set up in The Force Awakens -- won't apply to these new movies.

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark

Before anyone starts hating me on this, just hear me out and I'll explain for why I don't like how The Last Jedi characters were developed.

First, I'm not worried about Rian Johnson's trilogy. I don't mean that in a good way either. Disney needs to start becoming more and more involved and start protecting their intellectual property before the new age of young adult filmmakers destroy the legacy that was created by George Lucas.

Now, I'm no fan of J.J. Abrams. Personally, I think he's the result of Hollywood creating a brand name with no quality. But, while I have issues with The Force Awakens, new characters were introduced that Rian Johnson completely dropped the ball on. Let's start with two new characters, Daisy Ridley's 'Rey' and John Boyega's 'Finn'. Characters who had no backstory and who were written with no forethought or insight. Rey seems to come right out of the box with the ability to use "Jedi Mind Tricks" and wield a lightsaber like a professionally trained Jedi Knight, despite having no training or knowledge of that fact. Luke Skywalker, direct son of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader, even Anakin himself, they all had to be trained in the ways of the force.

The Last Jedi compounds that problem by not training Rey through Luke Skywalker, something that should have been developed through the "Yoda/Luke Skywalker" training sessions in Empire Strikes Back. Captain Phasma was also rumored to have more of a presence throughout the trilogy but she seemed to have been relegated to cannon fodder for The Last Jedi. I was also expecting to see more development of Snoke, even to hear some history behind the legendary fight between him and Jedi Master Luke Skywalker. But, the film seemed to relish in trashing the Star Wars films that came before it. TLJ even managed to slam The Force Awakens in some limited way.

I imagine that Lucasfilm wasn't too happy about J.J.Abrams being asked to return to repair the damage that has been placed on Lucasfilm after the disastrous box office results of Solo. Now, it looks like the future of the Star Wars franchise is up to how Abrams' Episode IX fairs at the box office and if Disney decides that Lucasfilm needs to switch tracks and change direction on the future of these films.

Personally, I think Lucasfilm is going to have to go back to making more than just Saga films and that the reboot films may have to continue if they want to expand the Star Wars franchise. There isn't much else that Lucasfilm can expand on besides the Star Wars universe. But, I do think that the executives at Lucasfilm need to start giving their directors more freedom on what to do with these films. Micro-managing these movies, firing directors before films even begin production, they do have a public relations problem and until they publicly come out and address their problems with their film productions, then it's going to keep getting worse. But, right now, they do need to do some damage control before they get back into making additional Star Wars films.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
You said:

Disney needs to start becoming more and more involved and start protecting their intellectual property before the new age of young adult filmmakers destroy the legacy that was created by George Lucas.

And you also said:

But, I do think that the executives at Lucasfilm need to start giving their directors more freedom on what to do with these films.

How can you believe both of these statements? You just shared two contradictory opinions within the same post. Which is it?

imagine that Lucasfilm wasn't too happy about J.J.Abrams being asked to return to repair the damage that has been placed on Lucasfilm after the disastrous box office results of Solo.

Kathleen Kennedy hired him to come back. By "Lucasfilm" I will assume you mean Kennedy, because she is in charge there. "Lucasfilm" is not a sentient entity with its own brain; it is a company which Kennedy runs as a subsidiary of Disney. I'm sure Bob Iger and Alan Horn and the team at Disney had input into the decision to hire him, but I also believe it was Kennedy's call to make, as long as she didn't want someone that Iger and Horn didn't like. Also, Abrams was hired as director of Episode IX in September 2017, long before anybody knew what Solo's box office returns were. Abrams being selected for Episode IX was because of the tremendous success of The Force Awakens, not because of Solo. Solo could have been a huge hit and Abrams would still be directing Episode IX. Also, why wouldn't everyone over there be happy to have the director whose last movie for them is the #1 film of all time in North America back to complete the trilogy? That's the kind of thing producers dream of.

Personally, I think Lucasfilm is going to have to go back to making more than just Saga films and that the reboot films may have to continue if they want to expand the Star Wars franchise.

They are continuing to make non-saga films. As far as has been announced right now, the Skywalker saga is expected to conclude with Episode IX. Everything else that is in development is outside of that. What appears to not be happening right now are the standalone Star Wars Story spinoffs based around original trilogy characters like Obi-Wan/Ben and Boba Fett. The Rian Johnson and Benioff and Weiss trilogies are going to be new stories. That's all we really know at this point. So I'm not really sure what you mean by this statement. Of course they're going to make more movies; they're just going to shift their focus to new ideas instead of strip-mining the original trilogy for endless spinoffs.

Last edited:

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I'm not big on comic books like I used to be but I was reading this comic book called Crowded and the writer killed off Kathleen Kennedy and J.J. Abrams in a single panel. It was so hilarious, I was like 'huh', 'what just happened'. Then I realized what the writer of the comic was eluding to.

The plot of the comic sets up where people can post on this crowdfunding platform called RPR where you can bid to have someone killed off and apparently, Kathleen Kennedy and J.J. Abrams, not mentioned by name, but eluded to as responsible for destroying "Trek Wars" as the executive and the director. It was a reference to how the RPR program got started. RPR is referenced as 'REAPER'. LMAO. The fourth issue has been released but it was so hilarious that I couldn't stop laughing. Apparently, it's being adapted into a movie by Rebel Wilson, who has optioned the comic for a movie adaption.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Before anyone starts hating me on this, just hear me out and I'll explain for why I don't like how The Last Jedi characters were developed.

First, I'm not worried about Rian Johnson's trilogy. I don't mean that in a good way either. Disney needs to start becoming more and more involved and start protecting their intellectual property before the new age of young adult filmmakers destroy the legacy that was created by George Lucas.

So, because 'The Last Jedi' didn't play out the way you thought it should, the franchise is being destroyed?

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
The plot of the comic sets up where people can post on this crowdfunding platform called RPR where you can bid to have someone killed off and apparently, Kathleen Kennedy and J.J. Abrams, not mentioned by name, but eluded to as responsible for destroying "Trek Wars" as the executive and the director. It was a reference to how the RPR program got started. RPR is referenced as 'REAPER'. LMAO. The fourth issue has been released but it was so hilarious that I couldn't stop laughing. Apparently, it's being adapted into a movie by Rebel Wilson, who has optioned the comic for a movie adaption.

So basically at a high level a rip off of the Black Mirror episode "Hated in the Nation".

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I agree that joking about someone dying is wholly inappropriate. There have been lots of movies I don't like, and choices by creators that I don't agree with, but none of those things are more important than a human life. A joke about murder in relation to a film is way over the line and, frankly, gives the fandom community a bad name even though the people who would partake in such a joke are a vocal minority. Frankly, I'm surprised that anyone would find such a joke funny.

Not liking a movie is fine, but seriously, when will the hate end?

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
This was published today and is about the toxic Star Wars fandom. It's a hoot.

I Called Out Toxic Star Wars Fandom. Then They Proved My Point.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainme...hhW6_SnTErJcIXA7xlC_ZSwQCVi_SrpKx1VY2xwMZ2Kkw
So sad that the most pathetic fans are these so called Star Wars “fans”.

And let’s face it. They are not fans. They are sad mentally unstable people. And that’s being kind. They need serious help. Unfortunately some are on this very forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks