What's new

Star Wars Episode VIII "The Last Jedi" Coming December 15, 2017 (2 Viewers)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
As great as the last 1/3 of ROTJ is, the middle 1/3 is equally dull. ROTS is solidly entertaining through out and for me, the battle between Obi-Wan and Anakin is a standout of the entire series. Ewan McGregor is always great as Obi-Wan but he absolutely nails it in the final battle. And while he was goofed on for Attack Of The Clones, Hayden Christensen comes through in the climax too. The fight between Yoda and the Emperor is cool. The score basically bringing together all the great music from the prequels makes great scenes even better. All that makes ROTS better than ROTJ for me.

I'm happy for you Travis. I really wish that I liked ROTS more than I do, but I find the ham-handed direction, the leaden dialog and IMO the lame "turning" of whiny Anakin to be less than compelling cinema. While the new films certainly have their own issues, for me they feel much more like Star Wars than any of the prequels ever did. The five minutes of Vader bad-assery in Rogue One almost makes up for it though. Almost. ;)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I don't get what deserves an eyeroll about that. That's what editing is. They are fully entitled to try different things and see what works and what doesn't work. That's the process.

So long as they came to the right conclusion, which I think they did, no one can fairly fault them for trying it another way first. Sometimes you don't know how something is going to play until you watch it.

And, it makes total sense that they would first try to edit it like the other films, because this is a sequel to the other films.

It's not. It's a sequel to the original trilogy and the Force Awakens. The eye-roll is for when he says he was surprised that it worked that way and he said it seems when people are watching a scene they want to follow through and finish that scene! This is like basic rules of filmmaking. It's like they say we were filming with the camera upside down, then we tried to hold the camera the other way and was surprised it worked better.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It's not. It's a sequel to the original trilogy and the Force Awakens. The eye-roll is for when he says he was surprised that it worked that way and he said it seems when people are watching a scene they want to follow through and finish that scene! This is like basic rules of filmmaking. It's like they say we were filming with the camera upside down, then we tried to hold the camera the other way and was surprised it worked better.
I think Johnson is talking about the traditional mode of Star Wars storytelling which is to keep hopping from one planet & group of characters to another to keep the momentum up. The other movies have complete scenes but they keep moving from place to place & story to story whereas in The Last Jedi, they spend more time focusing on a storyline and letting it play longer than is normal for a Star Wars movie. The crosscutting of scenes occurs in The Last Jedi during the big action sequence (like all but the first SW movie) but he's definitely not talking about crosscutting scenes with, say, Luke training Rey and scenes of Finn & Rose on Canto Bight.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
ROTS failed to my eyes simply because of the bad direction of and the bad playing by Hayden Christiansen.

The battle at the beginning at the movie didn't create the feeling I had with the battles at Yarvin and Endor. I felt it was just lame and that's a shame.

Like Doug said:
the leaden dialog and IMO the lame "turning" of whiny Anakin to be less than compelling cinema

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
ROTS failed because Monster Face tells Anakin he can save his wife by murdering children and he does it. The fall was not to be believed, which made the entire prequels fail.

And General Grievous was the worst.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
ROTS failed because Monster Face tells Anakin he can save his wife by murdering children and he does it. The fall was not to be believed, which made the entire prequels fail.

And General Grievous was the worst.
I respectfully disagree with the post but referring to Palpatine as "Monster Face" did make me laugh. :laugh:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
J.J. Abrams: ‘Star Wars’ Fans Who Didn’t Like ‘Last Jedi’ Are ‘Threatened’ By Women Characters

As he prepares to get back into the "Star Wars" universe, the filmmaker gets honest about fan criticism of "The Last Jedi" (and how it won't impact his next feature).

Right. Every fan who didn't like or criticized Rian Johnson's terrible film suddenly feels threatened by women. Funny how I didn't like TLJ, yet I think Mamoru Oshii's "Ghost In The Shell" is a great film or that I liked "Terminator 2", "Lucy" and "Atomic Blonde". All films with strong female leads that put the incompetents in "TLJ" to shame. J.J Abrams is an idiot.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Right. Every fan who didn't like or criticized Rian Johnson's terrible film suddenly feels threatened by women.
That's not what Abrams says at all. He says that people that if people were mad about The Last Jedi focusing on women, it's because they are threatened by women. I don't know how anyone could disagree with that.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah? Then maybe they shouldn't headline an article with the statement that fans who criticized TLJ are threatened by women if he didn't say that.
It's not his fault that people don't read more than a headline. And the headline is totally out of his control anyway.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Exactly Travis. Do people actually read the articles or just the headlines??

Usually the article negates the bs clickbait headlines.

Standard procedure nowadays unfortunately.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's not his fault that people don't read more than a headline. And the headline is totally out of his control anyway.

I went back and read it. I guess he didn't say, "Their problem isn’t ‘Star Wars,’ their problem is being threatened"? That was really the interviewer sticking his hand up Abrams's ass and operating his vocal cords. Right?

You can interpret that Abrams didn't say that fans critical of TLJ feel threatened by "female-centric" Star Wars stories, but the gist of that article is that Abrams holds the view that they feel threatened in their supposed "privilege" by films being more female-centric.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I went back and read it. I guess he didn't say, "Their problem isn’t ‘Star Wars,’ their problem is being threatened"? That was really the interviewer sticking his hand up Abrams's ass and operating his vocal cords. Right?
That was his answer but you've just pulled that quote of context. Here's the full question and answer:
"Asked by IndieWire about pushback from “Star Wars” fans who decried Rian Johnson’s film for its focus on more female-centric stories (bolstered by the edition of franchise newbies like Laura Dern and Kelly Marie Tran), Abrams was clear: “Their problem isn’t ‘Star Wars,’ their problem is being threatened.”"
He's clearly referring to the people who were mad about The Last Jedi having more focus on women and not about every person who did not like the movie.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I have never heard of people who were mad about The Last Jedi having more focus on women! The Force Awakens has more focus on women and J.J. himself directed it and people didn't have a problem with that. If they are blaming people who didn't like TLJ because of that, they are greatly mistaking.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I have never heard of people who were mad about The Last Jedi having more focus on women! The Force Awakens has more focus on women and J.J. himself directed it and people didn't have a problem with that. If they are blaming people who didn't like TLJ because of that, they are greatly mistaking.
Go on Twitter. You can find plenty of goblins that are mad about race and gender in the new SW movies. I saw plenty of reasons that people gave for not liking The Last Jedi and while I may not have agreed with them, I didn't think that bigotry was involved in their reasoning so by no means am I trying to say that every person that didn't like the movie is a bigot. However, it was definitely an issue for some people. So much so that a guy that I know in real life stopped saying that he disliked the movie on social media because he felt like he was getting lumped in with the racist human garbage on there.

Last edited:

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

Lucasfilm’s Star Wars: The Last Jedi—the next action-packed chapter of the Star Wars saga— Earned critical acclaim and the No. 1 spot atop 2017’s list of highest-grossing films. The visually stunning film welcomes the return of original characters, including Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, Chewbacca, Yoda, R2-D2 and C-3PO and further explores the deepening journey of the saga’s new members, Rey, Finn, Poe, and Kylo Ren. Now families can bring home the movie digitally in HD and 4K Ultra HD™ and via Movies Anywhere on March 13, two weeks before the 4K Ultra HD™ Blu-ray, and Blu-ray™ disc on March 27. This release also marks Disney’s first title available on 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray disc in both Dolby Vision™ HDR and Dolby Atmos® immersive audio, delivering consumers a transformative viewing experience.

Director Rian Johnson takes fans on an intimate journey into the creation of Star Wars: The Last Jedi in a feature-length documentary, explaining his unique interpretation of the Force, detailing the painstaking process of creating Snoke, and deconstructing action-packed scenes from the film such as the epic space battle and the final confrontation. Johnson also reveals two exclusive scenes, featuring Andy Serkis as Snoke prior to his digital makeover, as well as 14 never-before-seen deleted scenes, in addition to his audio commentary.

Bonus features include:
  • The Director and the Jedi – Go deep behind the scenes with writer-director Rian Johnson on an intimate and personal journey through the production of the movie—and experience what it’s like to helm a global franchise and cultural phenomenon.
  • Balance of the Force – Explore the mythology of the Force and why Rian Johnson chose to interpret its role in such a unique way.
  • Scene Breakdowns
    • Lighting the Spark: Creating the Space Battle – Get a close-up look at the epic space battle, from the sounds that help propel the action, through the practical and visual effects, to the characters who bring it all to life.
    • Snoke and Mirrors – Motion capture and Star Wars collide as the filmmakers take us through the detailed process of creating the movie’s malevolent master villain.
    • Showdown on Crait – Break down everything that went into creating the stunning world seen in the movie’s final confrontation, including the interplay between real-word locations and visual effects, reimagining the walkers, designing the crystal foxes, and much more.
  • Andy Serkis Live! (One Night Only) – Writer-director Rian Johnson presents two exclusive sequences from the movie featuring Andy Serkis’ riveting, raw on-set performance before his digital makeover into Snoke.
  • Deleted Scenes – With an introduction and optional commentary by writer-director Rian Johnson.
  • Audio Commentary – View the movie with in-depth feature audio commentary by writer-director Rian Johnson.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks