What's new

Star Wars Episode VIII "The Last Jedi" Coming December 15, 2017 (1 Viewer)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I did not like that last section of the movie.

Spoilers. Wouldn't it be more meaningful if he was there in person? Seeing her sister, touching her sister for real. Sacrificing himself for real. Finding it in an obscure Star Wars book doesn't change anything, it just felt gimmicky and wrong. It seems to me like Rian Johnson likes twists and surprises for the sake of it. A good movie is not a collection of twists that nobody can guess. You hope for the audience to watch it more than once. I think making big twists is the biggest pitfall someone can fall into.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Spoilers. Wouldn't it be more meaningful if he was there in person? Seeing her sister, touching her sister for real. Sacrificing himself for real.
I don't think so because the drama between all the characters and the sacrifice are still exactly the same. Plus, I think the emotion of the shots and music of Luke looking into the twin sunsets of Ahch-To is much better than dying at the hands of Kylo Ren. When Luke knows he's about to die and go on a great unknown journey and remembers a similar moment in his life when he was a kid on Tatooine on the precipice of a great journey, it's an amazing SW moment. As cool as it would have been to see Luke destroy the First Order, I think the more quiet lonely sacrifice and recalling that moment in life is much better than any action sequence would have been.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Spoilers. Wouldn't it be more meaningful if he was there in person? Seeing her sister, touching her sister for real. Sacrificing himself for real.

How did he not "sacrifice himself for real"? Personally I thought his Force projection over lightyears of space was kick-ass, and the reveal was one of the best scenes in the film.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This does not appear to be a legitimate journalistic publication. That the movie didn't hit their own estimate doesn't really seem relevant. It's opening weekend far exceeded Lucasfilm's expectations, and as I've mentioned before, Disney has been telling its shareholders (i.e. the people they are legally obligated to be honest with) since the opening of TFA that that opening was a once in a generation event, and that investors should not expect similar returns on future SW films. The fact that R1 and TLJ have behaved like mere mega-blockbusters instead of once-in-a-generation events was entirely expected by the people financing, making and profiting from these films.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Forbes generally slants extremely negatively towards Hollywood. Disney has made that declaration on their shareholder calls telling investors not to ever expect a repeat of TFA numbers because of publications like Forbes that insist on attaching unrealistic expectations without context, and then judging performance based on their own expectations which are not shared by those within the industry. I would honestly consider them worse than useless when it comes to reporting on Hollywood.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Based on "Star Wars" history, I think it's reasonable to expect that Episode 9 outdoes "TLJ" but falls short of "TFA".

For both prior trilogies, box office peaked with the first movie and declined substantially for the second before the third showed a "bounce back".

I know some will argue that "TLJ" turned off a lot of fans, but I think the majority of the critics of "TLJ" are the super-fanboy sorts - and those folks aren't going to skip E9 no matter what they may claim right now.

So I'm gonna make an early prediction that E9 ends up around $700m-$750m in the US...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I know some will argue that "TLJ" turned off a lot of fans, but I think the majority of the critics of "TLJ" are the super-fanboy sorts - and those folks aren't going to skip E9 no matter what they may claim right now.
Noooooo! Wait, yes definitely. The best is going to be when Solo 'only' make $300 or $400 million with a vastly different release date & a vastly different movie and watch those fans try to twist its performance into "See! See! Everyone hates Star Wars now because of The Last Jedi! 49 percent on Rotten Tomatoes! It ruined the series! Fire Kathleen Kennedy! Bring back George Lucas! Edit the female characters out of the movie!...."

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

I agree. The other thing to consider is the longer gap between films. Because Disney seems set on keeping Han Solo in May, we're going to get two Star Wars films in six months, and then it will be a year and a half between the release of Han Solo and Episode IX. That doesn't sound like a long time, but since Disney has conditioned people to expect these films on a yearly basis, I think the extra wait will actually make people look forward to it more. They'll be excited to resume the Star Wars at Christmas tradition which Disney is interrupting by not having Han Solo in December.

when Solo 'only' make $300 or $400 million with a vastly different release date & a vastly different movie

Yes. The box office for it could go a lot of different ways, but I feel like it will probably perform along the lines of one of the prequels. The Star Wars brand is too big for it to totally bomb, but so far I just don't see the excitement being there for it to cross into the gross range that the prior Disney Star Wars films have enjoyed.

Edit the female characters out of the movie!

I know you're kidding, but this brings up a good point, which is that Han Solo is the first of the Disney-era Star Wars films that will not have a female lead in the central protagonist position. If girls have come to the new trilogy for Rey, and to Rogue One for Jyn, it is worth considering that they might not be as interested in Han Solo without a strong female presence in the center.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
As ridiculous as it sounds, I'm not kidding. Apparently some guy recut the movie to excise the ladies and it runs 46 minutes. I'm hoping that it's more of a joke on men crying about that kind of thing rather than a serious attempt but you never know.

There seems to be a spike in "men whining about women" lately.

I have a friend who referred to "Fight Club" as a "MGTOW classic". I never heard that acronym and had to look it up:

"MGTOW (”Men Going Their Own Way”) is a way of life which refuses to defer to women in defining the worth of men. Instead, it focuses on positive male aspects, inviting men to go their own way in life."

Basically, it's glorified misogyny among men with no self-awareness.

My "MGTOW--espousing" friend loathes feminists because he thinks they act like they don't need men.

He sees no irony that he embraces a philosophy in which men act like they don't need women...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Noooooo! Wait, yes definitely. The best is going to be when Solo 'only' make $300 or $400 million with a vastly different release date & a vastly different movie and watch those fans try to twist its performance into "See! See! Everyone hates Star Wars now because of The Last Jedi! 49 percent on Rotten Tomatoes! It ruined the series! Fire Kathleen Kennedy! Bring back George Lucas! Edit the female characters out of the movie!...."

I think the return of Abrams will help, too, since so many people really liked "TFA"...

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh

I have a friend who referred to "Fight Club" as a "MGTOW classic". I never heard that acronym and had to look it up:

"MGTOW (”Men Going Their Own Way”) is a way of life which refuses to defer to women in defining the worth of men. Instead, it focuses on positive male aspects, inviting men to go their own way in life."

My "MGTOW--espousing" friend loathes feminists because he thinks they act like they don't need men.

He sees no irony that he embraces a philosophy in which men act like they don't need women...
"Okay, here's a doll -- point to all the places where the awful feminists touched you."

"NONE OF THEM WILL *EVER* TOUCH ME, THAT'S THE PROBLEM!!!"

[MGTOW-guy breaks down, sobbing uncontrollably]

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
"Okay, here's a doll -- point to all the places where the awful feminists touched you."

"NONE OF THEM WILL *EVER* TOUCH ME, THAT'S THE PROBLEM!!!"

[MGTOW-guy breaks down, sobbing uncontrollably]

My friend is a curious case. He's done reasonably well with women - he's single at 51 but those are mostly self-inflicted wounds rather than outright, persistent rejection from women.

I honestly don't know why he's misogynistic. Not all guys hate women because women reject them - they have other reasons as well!

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I don't know that I'd call that misogyny. Nothing wrong with a man...well...going his own way if that's what he wants. When women go their own way they get referred to as strong, independent women.

As for this trilogy, yeah I guess I can kind of see how they're putting women on the pedestal. Obviously you have Rey and (you had) Leia. But then you also have Holdo (I saw someone somewhere on the web refer to Holdo as "Admiral I'm with her" which made me chuckle. I could definitely picture that in the Honest Trailer). Then you have the vice, vice admiral who if anyone referred to her by name, I don't remember what it was. Then Rose who saves Finn from self sacrifice. But whatever, the women get a chance to shine. What I think was more egregious was that the resistance was a pretty fully diverse group ethnically and sexually while The First Order, with the exception of Phasma and an extra or two was all white males.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks