What's new

Star Wars Episode VIII "The Last Jedi" Coming December 15, 2017 (1 Viewer)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Just watched The Brothers Bloom. Didn't like it. Let's hope this is more like Breaking Bad!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
He might be referring to the fact that Rian Johnson directed three episodes of Breaking Bad, including the episode widely acclaimed by many fans as the best one of the series ("Ozymandias").

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
He might be referring to the fact that Rian Johnson directed three episodes of Breaking Bad, including the episode widely acclaimed by many fans as the best one of the series ("Ozymandias").
You mean 'Fly' which is the most beloved episode in the history of Breaking Bad. I'm being sarcastic since 'Fly' is a divisive episode (due to it being two guys talking in a lab for the majority of the episode) but for my money, all of Johnson's BB episodes are spectacularly directed and he gets great performances from the actors.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Watch "Looper" if you haven't already - in my opinion one of the finest films of the 21st century so far and one of the best time travel stories ever.
Though I do love Looper and it gives me confidence in TLJ being great, it actually makes no sense as a time travel movie. The nip-picker inside of me just can't ignore the blatant paradoxes that form the entire plot of the film.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I actually think all of the time travel stuff works exceedingly well.

The thing to keep in mind is, the film subscribes to the theory of time travel where each time they go back, they can create a new causality loop - so it's not a single timeline but multiple ones created from that breach. And I think it's implied that as we watch the movie, we're not necessarily seeing the first pass of these events.

There are some charts and stuff online that do a better job of illustrating this than I can type out. But for me it works perfectly.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Though I do love Looper and it gives me confidence in TLJ being great, it actually makes no sense as a time travel movie. The nip-picker inside of me just can't ignore the blatant paradoxes that form the entire plot of the film.

Talk about nit-picking! It’s “nit-picking”!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The Brothers Bloom was my least favorite picture by him. But I really liked Brick and Looper, and every film of his has been very different from the others. His television work proves that he can fit into (and elevate) a preexisting aesthetic.

This trailer feels like Star Wars through and through. It doesn't feel specifically like any of the previous movies (in the way that TFA felt specifically like ANH), but it feels of a piece with all seven previous saga films. And a lot of the art direction feels like what we would have gotten from Revenge of the Sith if Lucas had had 2016-17 technology at his disposal instead of 2003-05 technology at his disposal

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I actually think all of the time travel stuff works exceedingly well.

The thing to keep in mind is, the film subscribes to the theory of time travel where each time they go back, they can create a new causality loop - so it's not a single timeline but multiple ones created from that breach. And I think it's implied that as we watch the movie, we're not necessarily seeing the first pass of these events.

There are some charts and stuff online that do a better job of illustrating this than I can type out. But for me it works perfectly.
I would buy the new causality theory, but I remember certain aspects of the film that completely contradict that angle. I know a lot of time-travel films have paradox problems if you think about, but they seemed much more blatant and in-your-face with Looper. I'm not super hung up on it though, I DO think it's a really great film.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I am a generally positive guy, and am not predisposed to dislike things. I saw the new trailer when it came out, was incredibly underwhelmed by it and thought maybe I was just having a bad day. So I waited and watched it again today. Is it just me or is the trailer kinda meh? Not visually. Just in the way that it failed to make me want to see the movie more. I think after seeing the trailer I want to see it less. Why? The conflicts and plot points it suggested seem so fundamental. So predictable. I know it's just a trailer but, for me at least, it didn't have any compelling sophistication or mystery in its synergism.

I realize a trailer doesn't always suggest how good a movie will or won't be; I just thought the teaser trailer much more compelling. Less was more, IMHO.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
While I understand the inclination to include them, I hope the prequel references are more thematic, or mild, such as Maz talking about the Sith in The Force Awakens. Since it has now been 60-plus years, at least, in the movie's timeline since the events of those films occurred, there would seem to be very few people alive that know about them as anything other than a vague historical record (unless you want to get into Force ghosts, of course.)

Also, as a younger person than those here who grew up on the original trilogy, I got into Star Wars around the turn of the millennium and saw Episodes II and III theatrically multiple times each and was more forgiving of them than most people at the time. But they have not aged well at all really, or perhaps I have grown out of them, so I'm not sure it's the best idea for the new trilogy to get terribly bogged down in plot references to them. They can have happened, sure, but leaning too much into them gives me pause because the new films (even Rogue One, which I don't like as much as most people) are so much better than them and it would be a shame to see them botch the landing to this new trilogy by going back to Lucas' bland, videogame-like prequel style.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The part of that article where the reddit guy said "Apparently they’ve had no interference from Kathleen or Pablo or the Lucasfilm Story Group." made me roll my eyes. The LFL storygroup, Pablo Hidalgo, Kathleen Kennedy and any woman at LFL have all become the boogeymen for many of the expanded universe fans (I've seen them all blamed for 'ruining' Star Wars) so while I don't really doubt what the reddit guy said, I can't help but chuckle at that part since it makes him look like a conspiracy theorist.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I would love to see Liam and Ewan come back as force ghosts. Though I guess they may be tempted to throw in a Hayden ghost too. I'll take it to see Liam as Qui-gon one more time. But in seriousness I'll bet J.J. is just going to throw in more subtle references like the one in TFA. I'm feeling potentially okay with J.J. coming back if they really are going with something original.

I finally purchased my TLJ ticket. I'm going to the 12:01AM showing on the 14th/15th at my local Century. It's in an assigned seating theater and I managed to snag one of the last of what I think are the best seats; it's a tiny bit off center and a little bit closer than halfway to the screen. My wife and I saw TFA in a general admission theater and we had to sit damn near the front of the auditorium.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I would love to see Liam and Ewan come back as force ghosts. Though I guess they may be tempted to throw in a Hayden ghost too.

After Rey having her Force vision in The Force Awakens I figure they have to address or feature some Force ghosts in The Last Jedi. Probably Yoda because that would be the easiest one to make happen (since Johnson would more than likely go with a puppet over CGI). The problem with an Anakin Force ghost is that he could just appear to Kylo Ren and tell him he's on the wrong path because of what a sniveling POS he is since Kylo worships Vader. And I don't know how that could help with the current plot trajectory they're on! Still, it makes sense that that is what the redeemed Anakin would say to Kylo from the beyond.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks