What's new

Star Wars Episode VIII "The Last Jedi" Coming December 15, 2017 (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Well, I guess red carpets are spoilers too! An actor just showed up that normally shouldn't wouldn't be there! Does that say anything?!
I saw a picture of an actor there on the Star Wars Twitter feed and my guess is that they were invited simply due to being a Star Wars alumni.

That's how I felt when Twin Peaks: The Return premiered at Cannes before airing on Showtime. I've waited years for this: do not ruin it! And people were surprisingly good about it. (I think the new DVD front cover reveals more about the show than anyone else did before it aired.)
The advertising for that show was either incredibly vague or basically a lie and it was perfect. They showed Sam and Tracey (the couple watching the glass box) in the commercials and I thought they would be major characters. To quote a tagline from the opening of The X-Files, "Deceive Inveigle Obfuscate".

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I wouldn't read anything into anyone with a history related to Star Wars showing up at the premiere. They were probably just invited.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Not like I know foreign film markets from 40 years ago but that's even more weird because Greece and South Africa got it before both England and Germany.
I think the reason for that delay is simply to do the dubbing version. And the German dubbing of the old movies is very very good.

Not so good are they nowadays, maybe because they don't have the time for it anymore and they are not allowed to see the whole movie but only bits and pieces of it - that probably 'cause of the piracy of today. And that's a shame.

I guess that is the reason why I prefer since almost 20 years the original language version over the German dubbing version.
I would even go so far to say that I have improved my English skills because of that. Not perfect, but better than 20+ years ago.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My worry is that they say it's as good as The Force Awakens and one saying that Rogue One was better! :D
I don't trust these first reactions anymore after what happened with Rogue One. They were all positive like they were in a collective hypnosis.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm seeing this with my friend on Friday. He is a Star Wars fanatic/super collector(I think he has every action figure since 1995 Power of the Force figures were introduced). It is a blessing and a curse. He is the right person to see it with for sure, but there is also the blind devotion to everything Star Wars, which means if it sucks, to him it will be great. Ever know anyone like this? It is infuriating, because they don't see any negative in anything they love, it is all just a bowl of sunshine. Some of my other friends almost quit hanging with him because he defended the Prequel films until they grew tired of arguing it.

I would love to go into a Star Wars movie, and see nothing but greatness. My brain doesn't work the "If it is Star Wars, it is perfect" way. And after TFA I am excited, but understandingly cautious as to how this movie will turn out.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm seeing this with my friend on Friday. He is a Star Wars fanatic/super collector(I think he has every action figure since 1995 Power of the Force figures were introduced). It is a blessing and a curse. He is the right person to see it with for sure, but there is also the blind devotion to everything Star Wars, which means if it sucks, to him it will be great. Ever know anyone like this?
"Of course I know him. He's me." :laugh: While I have no problem admitting to being a SW super fan, I'm somewhat envious of the people that just blindly love something because they're happy. More often, I know miserable types (like myself) who spend their time hating stuff. I got a buddy that loves every Marvel movies and equally hates every DC movie & never shuts up about how they suck. DC could make a movie that's so good that it cures disease and he'll say it sucks and that Avengers 3 will be even better.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm seeing this with my friend on Friday. He is a Star Wars fanatic/super collector(I think he has every action figure since 1995 Power of the Force figures were introduced). It is a blessing and a curse. He is the right person to see it with for sure, but there is also the blind devotion to everything Star Wars, which means if it sucks, to him it will be great. Ever know anyone like this? It is infuriating, because they don't see any negative in anything they love, it is all just a bowl of sunshine. Some of my other friends almost quit hanging with him because he defended the Prequel films until they grew tired of arguing it.

I would love to go into a Star Wars movie, and see nothing but greatness. My brain doesn't work the "If it is Star Wars, it is perfect" way. And after TFA I am excited, but understandingly cautious as to how this movie will turn out.
Yes. I do. A fanatic/super collector who does have at least one of every action figure since they've been made, most still in the original packages. Has a full size Yoda statue, a full size Speeder Bike, has built his own Star Trooper costume (as has his son) which looks 100% authentic, is on a first name basis with some cast members, and attends premieres with cast members (has photos to prove it), and conventions, both with his entire family (yes, his wife supports this - she has to to survive as he and his son are pretty much at the same level of fanaticism).

There's no way I'd ask his opinion or go to a showing with him (unless it was one of those invitation only with the cast ones). I think he'd be honest with his opinion but I also feel it'd be rather colored due to his involvement over the decades.

Me... I'm the guy who walked out of a premier showing of The Empire Strike Back mad as a wet hornet because it ended on a major cliff-hanger! I'm really getting into this movie... and it just ends! Come back in a couple of years, pay us again, and we'll show you the ending. No thanks! Because of that "ending" I refused to see Return of the Jedi during its theatrical run and didn't see it until it finally came to HBO something like 10 years later. Had I seen it in the theater I'd have been angered further as it's nowhere as good as the first two films and was the beginning of Lucas' pandering to the prepubescent crowd with the absolutely lame Ewok segments which eat up most of the final act (he should have kept them more aggressive rather than the comic relief they come off as being).

I'll absolutely go see this one (after all, I've seen all but Return... in the theater) but, after The Force Awakens, which I only marginally liked better than "Episode 1," I don't have high hopes.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Cannot say that I ever anticipated any Star Wars movie after the first (and greatest one). I only saw ESB once in the theater and every succeeding Star Wars film has gotten worse over time. Still, I keep going to them in the hope that one of them will make me feel like I did when I saw STAR WARS in 1977.

Maybe this one will finally be the one. I know it certainly wasn't and won't be the ones directed by JJ Abrams.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I don’t considers myself a fanatic fan, but I have seen every Star Wars movie 3 or 4 times in the theatre when they originally premiered and when they were released in special editions. I also owned them on VHS, DVD and now Blu ray. I have bought the 3D editions of the latest ones, and hope to keep doing so.

I have really enjoyed every one and look forward to the last two in this current series. I don’t expect them (or want them) to be Shakespeare, they are just a really fun time at the movies.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Funny, I went on several online stores to check the Last Jedi score and they all list the tracks as Untitled Track 1, Untitled Track 2 .... :D

Update:
vojjers4l.jpg

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
they all list the tracks as Untitled Track 1, Untitled Track 2 .... :D

They did this with The Force Awakens as well. That will change at 12:01am Friday, after most of us will already have seen the film.

Also, congratulations on having post #1138 in this thread.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Similarly to the crap they pulled with Justice League, Rotten Tomatoes is making you watch their twitter feed to see the score for TLJ.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks