What's new

Star Wars Episode VIII "The Last Jedi" Coming December 15, 2017 (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
No no, he wasn't really bad, he had still good in him. ;)

Considering that Anakin is essentially the spawn of Palpatine (someone forced Shmi to get pregnant, even if he used the force), it's amazing he had any good in him. Whatever there was came from his mother.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but I read....

That princes William and Harry are going to appear as stormtroopers.

Guess this must be a new tradition. Someone(s) significantly famous cameoing as a Stormtrooper.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
ew1492_mc_3327493740209.jpg

http://ew.com/movies/2017/11/19/star-wars-the-last-jedi-ew-cover/

http://ew.com/movies/star-wars-the-last-jedi-new-photos/luke-skywalker-and-leia-organa/

http://ew.com/movies/2017/11/19/star-wars-kylo-ren-vs-rey-the-last-jedi/

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Dennis Villeneuve is a guy who I'd normally put in the category of "I'd rather see him do his own thing" but I have to admit that I'm intrigued by the idea of him making a Star Wars movie.

My favorite Hollywood career, as far as directors went, for the longest time was Steve Soderbergh, because he had this great way of going back and forth between studio projects and personal projects. "One for me, one for them" is I think a phrase he used to describe it. And I loved both sets of films for different reasons. His little indie experiments were fun and unusual, and his studio films were better than everyone else's studio films. Win-win.

And if Villeneuve wanted to do the same thing, I'd be fully in favor of that.

As another example: Not only do I love the actual films in Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy, but I also love the way he was able to build a career out of it. The success of those films led directly to Inception, Interstellar and Dunkirk, and Nolan now has the kind of clout that no one else has these days. Nolan can get studios to write him blank checks for $100-200 million movies not based on existing franchises. Joss Whedon directed two Avengers movies and each grossed over a billion, but he doesn't have that kind of pull. Jon Favreau has been massively successful directing Iron Man movies and now live action/CGI remakes of Disney animated classics, and those all gross a fortune, but no one is offering Favreau $200 million to do his own thing. Almost no one who has directed a modern blockbuster that's grossed in that billion range has gotten carte blanche to do something totally independent of those hits that put them on the map. Gareth Edwards certainly isn't getting that after Rogue One; even JJ Abrams, after the massive success of The Force Awakens, who talked at length about wanting to do his own thing, even he's back doing another Star Wars.

There are very few guys that the studio seems to trust to do blockbusters, but who are also allowed to build their own worlds in between those blockbusters. I'd love to see Denis Villaneueve's name added to that short list.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think Villaneueve's dance card is full right now with Dune and then Cleopatra, so I don't think he will be going to a galaxy far, far away anytime soon. But he's been one of my favorite filmmakers ever since Incendies, which almost nobody saw but which I think is absolutely brilliant, including one of the best twists I've ever seen in a film: https://www.amazon.com/Incendies-Tw...UTF8&qid=1512007079&sr=8-2&keywords=incendies

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Surprisingly I'm avoiding even more official non spoiler material this time. Have not read many magazines. There was a Facebook interview with Rian Johnson, didn't watch. I should know even less than "The Force Awakens" when I watch this and I didn't know much when I saw it.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
I guess I will just never understand this spoiler thing, you guys write about how you've seen these movies over a hundred times, and you worry about spoilers? So the first time you saw the movie was great, and the other 99 times wasn't?
I saw 6th Sense knowing the plot, it was still great, as great movies are.
I didn't know about Han in TFA, but I guessed, and it didn't matter, ot was still good.
Execution is more important than plot, it's not what you do, it's how you do it, and security through obscurity is just as bad in movies as in computer security. Twists only work the first time, but good movies, twists or not, work forever.

I usually quote George Lucas about this time, calming Spielberg about potential plot leaks for Indy 4, saying: "Jaws was a book before you made the movie, didn't matter, people wanted to see how you did it".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks