What's new

*** Star Wars: Episode One: Pre-Release Review Discussion OFFICIAL THREAD (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
From the Offical Site:An ever-increasing number of archival projects from other studios are also readying the THX team for a time when Lucas will be available to focus on releasing the classic trilogy on DVD. "We have an advantage that some very great work was done by Rick McCallum and his group back in '97. So we have restored films and we have a lot of work that was put in that first step with the restoration job back then," says Dean.
"I've certainly heard that there's a lot of material that has been in the archives that never has come out. I imagine it will be a very, very long, tedious process to make it work," he speculates. "Frankly, that's why DVD is just not something that you jump into. There is a lot of planning behind that."Food for thought, no?
------------------
My DVD Collection
My Preorders
My Wishlist

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
You can find the review here:
http://db2.widescreenreview.com/dvdr...-max=50&-recid =34766&-find=
Or you can read their comparative review here:
DVD/LD Comparative Review:
The anamorphically enhanced 2.35:1 DVD picture is quite
impressive. When compared to the previously reviewed Japanese import LaserDisc, the detail is excellent. Also very much improved is the contrast and color balance. Hues are better defined on the DVD, with no smearing.
The Dolby® Digital 5.1-channel discrete soundtrack is substantially lower in overall volume level than the previous Japanese import LaserDisc version, by around 7 dB. Even after compensating, the front and LFE levels still seem just slightly higher (about 1 dB), relative to the center channel, for the LaserDisc soundtrack, giving this version
the slightest edge in terms of low-end punch.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Matt,
I believe they are yes. Check the Q&A session at Widescreen Review. I think its the section with Van Ling, they mention that only a few things (music video, tv spots..etc) are not enhanced for widescreen TVs.
Dan (UK)

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Dan.
patriot.gif

------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I think TF.N had one person saying they had found it in a chain store some where in the U.S. However, I'd think you'll have to wait until October until it starts popping up in stores everywhere. (Did I hear wrong, or is this going to be a pretty much world-wide release on the dates surrounding October 16th?)
------------------
My DVD Collection
My Preorders
My Wishlist

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
On REALLY big titles, you won't find a better studio than FOX to ship as late as possible and STRICTLY enforce street date. Put it this way: I worked for Wal Mart when ID4 was released on VHS - at the time, the largest VHS release campaign ever- and we recieved 4 palettes of it around 6pm. Since I was the Electronics guy, it was my responsibility to make sure the whole thing flowed smoothly. We were instructed to let every person in the store know NOT to sell this title before midnight. In a small town of about 25,000 people, on a weeknight, there were about 50 people there beforehand carrying their copy waiting for Midnight. This came from the corporate office and was known from the Store Mgr. down. This was, and still is, VERY unusual on anything Video related at Wally World. We all know their track record now, but I wouldn't be surprised to see FOX put this same sort of stringency in effect.
Also, given current shipping methods, even the B&M's wouldn't see it until the first week of October.
Matt

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
As the official website proves, nothing else was "re-edited back into the movie" except for the Air Taxi scene.
As the copy I hold in my hands proves, the DVD adds introductions of some pod racers. There's also a little extra footage during the race itself.
In regard to the picture quality, I honestly was let down by the DVD. The edge enhancement looked more prominent than early reviews indicated, and the grain also intruded. Some wide shots seemed a little fuzzy as well. Overall, much of the disc looked very good, but considering the stature of the project, it was a disappointment - I'm only giving it a "B".
The audio quality remained terrific, though they mastered the sound at an unusually low level. I had to crank the volume significantly higher than normal, which I really hate to do with a movie like this; it includes enough loud scenes that I feared for my speakers - one blast and that was that! Nonetheless, the quality really was excellent. I tried to convince myself NOT to give it an "A+", but I couldn't do it - it sounded terrific.
As for the extras, I've gone through most of the audio commentary and think it's pretty solid. It isn't the best I've heard, but it's fast-paced, informative, and compelling. The documentary on DVD 2 really is fantastic, though. It's candid and thorough - my only complaint's that it isn't long enough. I haven't plowed through the rest of the supplements yet, but the early returns are very positive...
------------------
Colin Jacobson
DVD Movie Guide
www.dvdmg.com

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I have not yet read all the posts but Colin, where did you get it? I don’t mean where where, but only to know if you got it from a normal store.

William Ward

Supporting Actor
I imagine a lot of edge enhancement was used to make the soft by nature CGI look sharper.
I noticed that on the LD copy the CGI characters had a rough black edge to them. I didn't notice it in the theater when the CGI looked pretty seamless. It's a shame that they'll resort to EE to make up for the "soft" looking CGI.
This is something I was worried about given the huge nature of this release. They're dumbing it down for those with 27" sets and under. Looks like Godfather is going to be this way also.
I wonder how many would support an alternative DVD which by nature includes NO Edge Enhancement. I know I would.
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have not yet read all the posts but Colin, where did you get it? I don’t mean where where, but only to know if you got it from a normal store.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd imagine that he got it at the press convention at Skywalker Ranch last week.
Actually, both are incorrect, but the latter is closer. I wasn't able to make it to the DVD party (being that I live on the east coast) but I got my copy from Lucasfilm. That's why my review has been delayed - I didn't get the same early access I would have received had I been able to attend the DVD days...
------------------
Colin Jacobson
DVD Movie Guide
www.dvdmg.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks