What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

Star Wars Episode II DVD... (1 Viewer)

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
Why do people want seemless branching for this movie? So many people want the original versions of the Classic Trilogy but now people want this to be extended? I want this version on DVD. I loved it and I would only like the additional scenes as a supplement.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm... so to keep the visual "sameness" of what TPM gave us is the Ep II disc going to use a negative with scratches, dust, dirt, fingerprints, and loose sprocket holes?? Plus edge enhancement up the wazoo??

At least I hope this time Lucasfilm will pony up for a DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 track (Lucasfilm's Skywalker Ranch did do the new mix for the 24 bit DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 "The Haunting" DVD, which was breath taking). Maybe if they push some of the video supplements to the second disc they'll have room.

Dan

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Why do people want seemless branching for this movie? So many people want the original versions of the Classic Trilogy but now people want this to be extended? I want this version on DVD. I loved it and I would only like the additional scenes as a supplement.
Seamless branching gives viewers the choice of selecting between different versions. If you only want to see the original theatrical release, seamless branching would allow you to do just that. For those who prefer to see the entire film with the deleted scenes placed back in their original place, seamless branching would also allow that.

DJ

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
We will never see DTS on the initial DVD releases of Star Wars. Maybe in the 2006 megaset, but not at this point.

The problem is: Lucas DOES NOT set new standards with the Star Wars DVD's. New Line sets new standards with the Lord of the rings Collector's set, and Lucas will eventually follow many, many years after.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
After seeing AOTC at a DLP theater (twice), all I gotta say is that if AOTC comes out on D-VHS, I'll find the money to buy a D-VHS player and a HDTV!!

greg_t

Screenwriter
When I saw AOTC, I stayed through the end credits and noticed that it released in both DD-EX and DTS-ES. I've seen it so far in two different theaters and both times it seems like the sound was Really low. The second theater was better in terms of surround levels and bass, but the front soundstage (dialoge, music) was LOW. Did anyone else notice this?

Sean Eldridge

Second Unit
The sound was not as good as I would expect for a Star Wars film. But that is definitly the cause of the theater. I could just barely hear some of the sounds. It was almost all in the front with no ambience. Even when ships were supposed to swoosh by, you could barely make it out. Oh well, I know it will sound good when I get it home on my new DA5ES. :D
Sean

BrettV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett Voss
just cut and pasted this from Roger Ebert:

"The images didn't pop out and smack me with delight the way they did in earlier films. There was a certain fuzziness, an indistinctness that seemed to undermine their potential power...I am sure I will hear from countless fans who assure me that Episode II looks terrific, but it does not...on a big screen, it lacks the authority it needs."

Appears he didn't care for it.

Brett

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I've seen it so far in two different theaters and both times it seems like the sound was Really low. The second theater was better in terms of surround levels and bass, but the front soundstage (dialoge, music) was LOW. Did anyone else notice this?
Yes. I had the same experience. When Star Wars began, I couldn't believe how low the volume of the Star Wars theme was. And, yet, the audience was not even cheering at that point (they actually cheered during the Fox opening logo instead) so the audience couldn't be blamed for not hearing it well.

I will say that the surrounds and directionals were very good. But, the overall volume of the movie was still too low. However, I have noticed that at other movies at this new (AMC) theater. Maybe there has been concern that some movies have been too loud and they playing them at more conservative volume levels. All I know is I wanted it louder.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I agree about the DLP. My jaw was on the floor from the picture and sound quality as compared to the film version which i had seen twice. The DLP was superior in every way.:) See it in DLP if you can. Amazing!

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
And now for something completely differant....
Given Star Wars Episode Two: Attack of the Clones was (I believe) to hours and forty minutes long, combined with a Dolby Digital THX-EX (like episode 1) sound field, Are we expecting the whole film to be on one disc, or two?

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Actually, it's more of 2 hours 25 mins long. No worries for a compressionist worth his salt. Braveheart is half an hour longer, and it looks really good, compression artifacts are slight. Two discs for the movie would be overkill. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PSYLNT2UHD
Recent bookmarks