Star Wars Episode II DVD: Nov. 2002??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Kim, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

We may not have to wait as long for the Episode II DVD as we had to for Episode I. According to TheForce.Net:

2. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

Richard,

I can't remember where I read it, but I remember reading an article that stated that Lucas intended to release the DVD of Episode II along with the VHS release.

3. Tom Czr

Tom Czr Agent

When does the actual film get released?

By the way this is my first post...did anyone else have to go through a background and credit check to get on this forum?

4. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

Credit check? No!

5. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    I also remember reading that Episode II would be released on DVD in 2002. Of course nothing is official until Lucasfilm says so, but based on the sales of TPM, one would think they won't wait as long this time.

6. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    When was "The Phantom Menace" first released on home video (VHS)? It wasn't until almost a full year after it's original theatrical release, was it? Around April 2000 or so?

7. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Well, I think that the only thing that we can sey now is that Ep II will be on DVD at around the same time as tape. That being said though, november is pretty quick (although given recent Theatrical to video windows it wouldn't surprise me). EpI took until the next March to make it to video, so I'd actually expect a similar delay.

8. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
  9. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

Episode I: The Phantom Menace was released on VHS on April 4, 2000, nearly a full year after the theatrical release of May 19, 1999.

I'd like to see the Episode II DVD released by next Christmas, but I don't know if anything's set in stone yet. If they decide to give Episode II a theatrical re-release before Christmas (like they did for Phantom Menace), then a Fall 2002 release would be unlikely. I'm pretty sure that the reason that the Phantom Menace tape wasn't released until after Christmas 1999 is because of the theatrical re-release in December 1999.

One thing's for sure: There's no way they're not going to have a simultaneous release for both the VHS and the DVD this time around.

(I still wish that we could get a DVD of Episode IV: A New Hope sometime in 2002--it would make perfect sense, next year being that film's 25th anniversary and all. . .)

-mwb-

10. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    At the big press get-together at the Skywalker Ranch (right before the DVD came out), Lucas said, "And so now I think with these first three, we will be releasing them as everyone else releases them, which is in the normal schedule after the initial theatrical release of the movie." Of course, ignore that "first three" part, since we know how long it took for TPM to come out. But, I think November isn't too far-fetched.

11. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

CREDIT CHECK?!?!?
    Could you elaborate a bit please, I am not sure where you are coming from ...to me 'Credit Check' implies that you were asked for your Social Security Number [​IMG]

12. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    I doubt if Attack of the Clones will get re-release like TPM. AOTC isn't going to achieve the same box office numbers that TPM amassed, so it would be in Lucas' best interest to release AOTC on DVD just in time for the Christmas season of 2002.

13. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    Sure Rick, I'm up for a friendly wager. [​IMG]

14. Matt Birchall

I'd take that bet, too.

I'm pretty sure that it's going to be a much better movie than Phantom Menace, but there are probably quite a few people who were disappointed by Phantom Menace who might stay away this time. Also, there was a sixteen-year wait for Phantom Menace, and only a three year wait for Clones, so it shouldn't be nearly as hyped as Phantom Menace was.

Remember that Empire, while it's generally considered to be the best movie of the series, has also grossed the least amount of money of the four. . .

I'm guessing it will do 375 million, compared to Phantom's 430.

-mwb-

15. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

Tom,

I am up for a friendly wager on this as well. I just have a feeling that AOTC will get more repeat business than what TPM did.

16. Tom Czr

Tom Czr Agent

No actual credit check, just a bit of sarcasm aimed at the super anal forum rules.

17. Keith Yatsuhashi

Keith Yatsuhashi Stunt Coordinator

I'd also guess that using complete digital cameras etc will make it easier to author a DVD. That doesn't say much for putting together the extra's etc.

18. Bob Saylor

Bob Saylor Stunt Coordinator

Before you guys make that friendly wager, remember TPM was out for a long time on VHS before it went to DVD. I think a lot of people just didn't buy it again. When AOTC comes out it will be a release at the same time as VHS. People will buy it because it is new. Many more will have DVD players that didn't have them before. It's going to be interesting to see who wins that bet.[​IMG]

19. Matt Birchall

We're talking about the box office take, Bob. . .

-mwb-

20. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The number of views in this thread is a good indicator of the amount of interest in this title and Star Wars in general on DVD. If they release it when it is still.... fresh, it will be the new record holder for sales.