What's new

Star Wars: Episode I in P&S (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Terrell,
I think perhaps the main reason were making such a fuss about this film releasing a hack and slash version and not LOTR (which truly does suck, not the film, the FF release), is that the OAR edition of SW EP1 is already a big hit and a proven success, and a smash seller for FOX. This crapped up version is unnessasary, everybody already ownes the correct version.
That's just MY theory as to why were making a big deal over this one.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Whoever invented Pan and Scan oughtta be punished.
Yes, whoever invented panning and scanning should be put to death. After all, it was invented only to make people angry and disgruntled. :D
Actually, panning & scanning was developed by Fox, I think. I guess we should boycott them, then?

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
What came first? Letterbox? Or Pan and Scan? I think the person who invented Letterbox should deserve a big reward. Who invented Letterbox, BTW?

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
I hate to be a stickler, but could someone please direct me to a link that specifically announces the release of the P&S version of The Phantom Menace on DVD? As far as I can see, the only source we have on this is ArnaudP's first post.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
As far as I can see, the only source we have on this is ArnaudP's first post.
Well, I *did* post the cover art taken directly from Fox's publicity materials. There's really not a "press release" sort of thing, just a notation that it will be on shelves on November 12th, the same day as Attack of the Clones. I suppose since it's just a supplemental version that a full press release is considered unneccessary.

But it's keeping right in line with Fox's other new P&S versions of previously released WS-only titles, like ID4 and Abyss. So I'm not sure why anyone is surprised!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
My take: I agree with John and Jeremy. The idea that somewhere, someone out there is watching P&S by choice does not disturb me. It's the idea that one day we'll be seeing major movies only available in P&S that makes me nervous. If you think it can't happen, look at the majority of VHS tapes out there. That's why I prefer there to not be a choice, as was the case when TPM first came out on DVD. People who hate the black bars at least have the option of getting used to it. In fact, they're going to have to learn sooner or later, as many music videos and TV programs are broadcast in widescreen now, with more to follow in the future. Those of us who are pro-OAR, on the other hand, are totally screwed if a widescreen version is not offered.

William Ward

Supporting Actor
I don't think we'll ever see major releases come P&S only. We're too close to the 16/9 TV rollout. What I'm worried about is the dual releases not providing the WS option to many retailers.

And if they somehow remaster the P&S DVD with little to NO EE, there will be an uproar like you've never seen on the HTF/DVD Community in general.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

For all practical reasons, P&S did. Movies began showing up on broadcast television (usually sourced from 16mm prints I believe) long before video.

Then, the first VHS titles were P&S. Widescreen wasn't readily accpeted until the early 90's with Laserdisc.

I don't know who invented Letterbox, but the first filmmaker with enough balls to demand a film of his be only presented that way was Woody Allen with 'Manhattan.' Even on TV it's broadcast in widescreen.

The origin of the term Widescreen comes from a flippant remark someone made when they first saw '2001' presented that way. "It's like watching it through a letterbox." That's also the reason most film nuts don't like the term letterbox since it implies that you are cutting off the top and bottom. Widescreen is the preferred term, OAR is more proper since it includes older movie's which were shot for 1.37.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
"I don't think we'll ever see major releases come P&S only. We're too close to the 16/9 TV rollout."

Snow Dogs is close enough.

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Okay - I hate to be the one who breaks this, but... They are putting the OAR version on Moratorium. I saw this last week, but didn't understand why. The same way they are doing Fight Club and Independence Day, you are about to see Phantom Menace in Widescreen do the same. When I saw that, I immediately ordered 2 dozen OAR DVD's from my distributor to stockpile for Christmas time when people want matching sets ( yeah, the 8 people on Earth who don't own the DVD yet!! LOL). Within the next 4 to 6 weeks, it will get really hard to order Ep 1 for us retailers. Soooo.. if you've been holding off buying a copy for yourself or someone else, please don't. You'll regret it in the very near future. I've told several folks about Fight Club at my store and they immediately bought a copy instead of procrastinating. I wonder how many people are doing the same for Episode 1? Thought you guys should know....

Matt

BTW - What Dave L is using for getting pics is legit. I do the same for my business. And, to be honest, FOX has the best retailer support out there that I've used.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Ummmm....the moratorium for the WS is news to me. The ID4 and Fight Club 2 disc sets are OOP or soon will be, but ID4 has a single disc OAR version out, as well as MAR. Fight Club, Big Trouble in Little China, Rocky Horror, and Sound of Music are going to get single disc OAR versions too.

Where, oh where, is Mr Straddon now? GIve us a glimmer of hope here...after all you are the studio that all others are judged by in my book!

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, why on earth would there be a moratorium on TPM widescreen DVD? That would be shocking news if indeed true.

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
Okay - I hate to be the one who breaks this, but... They are putting the OAR version on Moratorium.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

I really hope you are wrong...
Or hell shall be unleashed... :angry:

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Peter STADDON! Where do people get this superflous R?

... They are putting the OAR version on Moratorium. I saw this last week, but didn't understand why. The same way they are doing Fight Club and Independence Day, you are about to see Phantom Menace in Widescreen do the same
The SAME thing that's happened with all the OTHER Fox 2-disc sets, It's being replaced by a single-disc version

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Dave, don't do that when I'm drinking something!! It almost came out my nose when I saw that animation!!
I was confused at first, but then recalled that I'd put the little "puke smiley" over there, regurgitating on the box art. :D
As for Mr. Staddon, he may be lurking, but may not be. In any event, his last post was June 3rd. Don't COUNT on a response from him; he may have been too busy to visit HTF much any more. (Or perhaps he's still looking for Buffy Emmy screeners... :laugh: )

Brenton

Screenwriter
I would wonder if it was April Fools' Day if this hadn't already lasted a few days. If this widescreen moratorium thing comes true, I will be ANGRY. Not for myself, I bought the OAR Episode I the day it came out (VHS too!). But I will be angry because it means that we are taking a loss in the War for Widescreen. Sure we'll win in the end, but boy are the blows painful.

Lucas has nothing to do with this. He's the one who's had the guts to make a 2.35:1 Anamorphic saga with a target audience of 8-12 year olds! He's one of the pioneers of widescreen on VHS in the early 90s! It's all FOX!!

And to Dave Lambert: is there a URL where you're getting this info (and covershot) from?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks