What's new

Star Wars: Episode I in P&S (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
This is lame. Lucas shouldn't have bent so easily. Star Wars will sell in Widescreen regardless of the preference of the buyer.

Michael Ballack

Second Unit
I don't even want to think of how bad this movie will be butchered. THe Pod Race scene, the jedicouncil scene, and most importantly the final lightsaber battle between 3 force users in the frame. Ouch! As long as the widescreen version stays available. I remember Lucas has been very good at releasing both pan and scan and widescreen versions back in the vhs days. Sadly to say, there is a big market out there for pan and scan. Lucas is a businessman. Nothing wrong with that.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Well, I saw the fullscreen version on video (NOT MINE) and Maul's lightsabre looks very short, when he is about to fight the 2 Jedi :)

Barry Woodward

Second Unit
I already have the widescreen version of The Phantom Menace but I plan on buying the Pan and Scan version of it and I plan to buy both versions of Attack of the Clones on DVD. I'll probably never watch the Pan and Scan versions but I have to buy them because I'm a collector.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Barry,
I understand completly that your a collector and I can respect that, but you do realize that your helping pad the sales of those bastard versions by buying them right?
Don't mind me, it just saddens me when I hear that someone is actually going to give their money willingly to P&S. :frowning:

Matthew Furtek

Stunt Coordinator
A release like this is the perfect oppurtunity for us to educate people that widescreen is better.

If there was a Widescreen Advocate T-Shirt that had screen grabs comparing shots between the 2 DVDs, I would pay $10 to wear it just so I could educate people who don't care or know there is a difference.

.... the more you know!

Matthew Furtek

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I used to own TPM on VHS, before I got my DVD player. And man, it's horribly cropped. In fact, back in 1999, when I saw it in theaters, I thought "this one's gonna look like total shite on video." That was the movie that made me become an OAR supporter. But unfortunately, the VHS was only available in P&S here, so I bought it. It would take another year for me to get my hands on the DVD.

AndyDL

Stunt Coordinator
It's all about the money, folks.
On starwars.com a while ago, there was a poll, asking which edition of Episode II you would buy. The possible responses were:
- Special Edition VHS
- Fullscreen DVD
- Widescreen DVD
- All Three (!!)
All three?! This of course would be great for Lucasfilm/Fox, but I really can't see any advantage to having all three unless I'm a psycho-collector. (sorry Barry ;) )
As long as we keep buying two "different" versions of every movie that is released on DVD, I predict this problem is only going to get bigger.
People are just too impatient.
It's like this:
1) I don't want to wait for an SE release so I'll
2) buy the bare-bones release now and eventually I'll
3) buy the SE
1 consumer X 2 DVDs = more $$$
Andy

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
While where on the subject of WS and PS...anyone see the Star Trek 2 DVD Commercial? The thing looks terrible with it's switching from Widscreen, to(I guess it's called) condensed widescreen, where the image is fitted and squashed together to fit in the picture.
For instance, the widescreen shot is of the enterprise firing a Torpedo. Then it switches over to a terrible looking shot of Kahn saying, "Fire".
Either Paramount is pro-Widescreen, and trying to persuade people to switch over, or someone did a really shoddy job :).

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Yes, the only good that comes out of P&S Star Wars releases is the opportunity to use them for high-quality direct comparison screenshots, for educational purposes. I suspect these will be a natural for widescreen advocacy sites to use.

When a black-bars hater who is a Star Wars fan sees what's being cut out it may help convert him.

Brenton

Screenwriter
What's better is that the Star Wars films are 2.35:1 anamorphic (no soft-mattes). This means that Star Wars will make the perfect widescreen to pan-and-scan comparison.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Yeah, but who's gonna buy the DVD so they can make the screen shots? I guess someone can borrow it from a freind. Hopefully, none of us will have friends that buy it. Hopefully, no one will buy it.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I was really hoping that Lucas would be the one to say that it was widescreen or nothing for his films on DVD. I figure that if anyone had the clout to do it it would be him, and knowing that he's a huge fan of film in general and a supporter of widescreen (there were always widescreen VHS releases of the OT-sometimes hard to find though) should have sealed it. But, it just wasn't to be...

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Yikes, that's one ugly-ass cover :thumbsdown:
I won't buy the P&S in order to take screenshots, but I certainly will rent it for a day and cap samples of every scene.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I do not see the point in releasing a P&S version at all. The Phantom Menace is an ok DVD, IMHO i feel they could have done a better job with the transfer, but that is just me. OAR ? this is the first time I have heard this, sorry. I would only buy the widescreen version and would not waste my cash on P&S. I am a Star Wars fan but that is money I could spend on another dvd movie for my collection. I feel the biggest rip off is Lucas ramming Dolby Digital down our throats! I dont even watch Phantom Menace much anymore. I would rather wath the originals in Dolby Prologic or 70mm surround since I have a Yamaha reciever. But as long as Attack of the Clones comes out in widescreen I will buy it reluctantly. I just do not see Lucas giving us the oprotunity to watch Star Wars in DTS. We had the option in the theater but not in our own home, this really bites:angry:

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I already have the widescreen version of The Phantom Menace but I plan on buying the Pan and Scan version of it and I plan to buy both versions of Attack of the Clones on DVD. I'll probably never watch the Pan and Scan versions but I have to buy them because I'm a collector.
Just because you're a collector (of Star Wars stuff I assume), it doesn't mean that you have to buy everything that has the words "Star Wars" on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks