What's new

Star Wars Ep. VII Megathread: The Force Awakens (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Simon Massey said:
I think for a lot of these film makers, this is about more than just earning clout - the chance to direct a Star Wars movie is probably high on the list of many film makers who recall the originals.
Yeah, however their movies turn out, you know that Abrams and Johnson love the originals and want to make a movie as good as those.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Damn, I cannot wait for the trailer for this movie. I just want to get a sense of the story, and "feel" of it. Hope by this December there will be a teaser at least. I also hope it doesn't get delayed into 2016.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Bryan^H said:
Damn, I cannot wait for the trailer for this movie. I just want to get a sense of the story, and "feel" of it. Hope by this December there will be a teaser at least. I also hope it doesn't get delayed into 2016.
The Force is weak in this one. Hurry it up?? No way! Let them take their time and get this thing right for once. If they rush things and put out another lackluster Star Wars film that can't hold the original generation of fans (like me)... then it's game over, man. Game over. Like the Terminator, Spider-man, Superman, Die Hard, Alien, and Predator franchises.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Bryan^H said:
Trailers can be deceiving. The one that started it all was Episode I of course and everyone knows it.

A better and more recent example is Prometheus. After all the prequels, I was sure I couldn't be fooled by a trailer anymore.
Prometheus had an amazing and one of the best trailers. I just loved it and was sure it was going to be a great movie. Well it turned out bad!

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
SamT said:
Trailers can be deceiving. The one that started it all was Episode I of course and everyone knows it.

A better and more recent example is Prometheus. After all the prequels, I was sure I couldn't be fooled by a trailer anymore.
Prometheus had an amazing and one of the best trailers. I just loved it and was sure it was going to be a great movie. Well it turned out bad!
If a movie has Damon Lindelof in the writing credits, I steer clear. Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman, and others from J.J. Abrams' school of writing... I also run away from.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
DanH1972 said:
The Force is weak in this one. Hurry it up?? No way! Let them take their time and get this thing right for once. If they rush things and put out another lackluster Star Wars film that can't hold the original generation of fans (like me)... then it's game over, man. Game over. Like the Terminator, Spider-man, Superman, Die Hard, Alien, and Predator franchises.
I'm not saying speed it up, just stay on schedule for the December 2015 release date.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Bryan^H said:
I'm not saying speed it up, just stay on schedule for the December 2015 release date.
I'm as anxious as the next guy to see if the ideas that Kasdan and the group from the early 80's ideas (some very good ideas, if Gary Kurtz's musings, as he put in an in depth interview around the time of Phantom Menace's release, were to be believed) get put into the new series. With a solid, adult director and writer (for the most part Looper was quite intriguing and his efforts with Breaking Bad were excellent) for the one after Ep. 7 being brought on board, I hope this means Lucasfilm is going in a much stronger direction than Lucas' failed attempts.

Alfonso Cuaron and his unique vision were brought in to spice up Harry Potter 3 and I would say that was the best of the series. Maybe things will hold true with SW.

I'd rather wait and have them get things right than play to Disney's arbitrary timeline. They could be the ones to throw a wrench in the whole thing. They're very risk averse as a company, especially with their animation department. Lasseter didn't help things there.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Is it safe to say the old dispute Lucas had with the DGA over putting the director's name on the closing credits, instead of up front, isn't going to a problem now?

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I like JJ...having loved the Alias series (at least season 1 & 2) and owning the BD's of Cloverfield, Both Star Treks, and Super 8. But that said, he does play it safe-VERY safe and what this franchise needs is some grit and life while still maintaining a fun-escapism journey. Not always easy to do but can be done. I loved Looper. Was awesome.

I'll confess I've never seen Breaking Bad. ;)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Tim Glover said:
I'll confess I've never seen Breaking Bad. ;)
Well, that makes two of us. I've never watched all of "The Sopranos" either. Have to admit I really don't like watching sympathetic portrayals of vile, cancerous, pieces of shit.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Edwin-S said:
Well, that makes two of us. I've never watched all of "The Sopranos" either. Have to admit I really don't like watching sympathetic portrayals of vile, cancerous, pieces of shit.
What's cool about Bryan Cranston's Walter White is that he's quite nuanced compared to Tony Soprano. In some respects, you feel sorry for him. Chalk that up to great writing and a superb character portrayal by Cranston.

"Breaking Bad" is the unmaking/unraveling of a quiet, unassumingly mousy, and decent family man (who happens to be quite a brilliant scientist) who has reached his breaking point due to various factors (both internally and externally). "Breaking Bad" is a morality play whereas Tony's story is fairly linear. He's pretty much a bum from beginning to end.

You and Tim should definitely check it out.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I basically mainlined all five seasons of Breaking Bad in a twelve day period - I only watched the series finale live on TV. It is a marvelous show, truly. And I never could get into The Sopranos myself. But I think BB is quite different. Rian's episodes are quite good, although the series routinely impressed me with the direction. Michelle McLaren did a couple, and now is killing it directing some Game of Thrones episodes.Back to Star Wars, I get the JJ pull from a Disney perspective. Like I said, his stuff doesn't work for me that well, but the vibe is right and suitable for SW. If they can get him a solid script, he will do fine. And heck, the first movie they make doesn't have to be ESB redux. It just has to connect.That said, I think a SW film every year is probably a bit much. I thought they were pretty special every three. But if they can diversify (and expand), why not? A couple are bound to be great, right?

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Totally agree Chuck. Every year is WAY too much. LOTR was GREAT but I would have preferred every 2 years to be honest. Gives us time to digest it. ;)

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
It seems like Episodes 7-9 are setting up to be the same stylistically / tonally as the OT. The first is a good, somewhat light-hearted adventure. The second will have real emotion and consequences and be a bit more 'adult'. Episode 9 is still unknown but I hope we don't have a repeat of Jedi.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'll say it again......it will be delayed till summer 2016. Count on it. Only a matter of time before they announce it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks