What's new

Star Wars Ep. III CD Soundtrack + bonus DVD! (1 Viewer)

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I loved the DVD as well, and absolutely loved hearing the original Star Wars end credits music without the extra bit added for the new edition!

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
I just picked up the soundtrack last night at my local Best Buy. I haven't had an opportunity to listen to it yet, but have a question for those whom are eligible for the free download. What bitrate is the download load?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Is the audio for the Target bonus track the same as that on the DVD for that segment (Battle of Heroes)?

CraigL

Screenwriter
No. Both Battle of Heroes are different. There is different dialogue in the radio version (including stuff not heard before).

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Originally posted by Brad M.:
Oh come on. Those two tracks are a bonus on top of the bonus dvd. For $12, you can't beat this package.

Oh, I agree entirely, and I regret my disappointment about the bonus track appeared to diss the package as a whole. The combo-pack with DVD is a GREAT value, and I can't wait to get it but in specific reference to the bonus track, as opposed to the exclusive extra score track we got with Target's sale of ATTACK OF THE CLONES a couple of years ago, we are getting hosed...

DavidBL

Stunt Coordinator
This is a pretty dang cool DVD, and it even came with this nifty bonus soundtrack CD as well! :)

However, does anyone know how Windows Media Player pulls in its track names when you play a CD? The listing I get in WMP (version 9) is all mixed up compared to what is listed on the back cover-- different names, mixed up order, etc. One of the track names in WMP is I am the Senate
which was speculated to be one of the downloadable tracks.

Just wondering what was up with that.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Sometimes people can submit their own track titles to WMP or whatever runs it.

Hell my tracklisting for the Raiders of the Lost Ark bootleg (that *I* made) is up there. I even named the damn tracks. Anyone can submit it.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
CraigL

The video on the Star Wars DVDs, like every other comercial release DVD is 480i.

That said, I was a little disapointed in the bonus DVD. It was alot of EP 4-6 and very little from EP 1-3. While the music sounds great (and being bundled w/ the sountrack I guess this is what most are looking for) I really didn't think it was great HT demo material as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Anyone who's thinking about this purchase, don't buy it just for the DVD. If you're not getting it for the soundtrack or are very interested in the music from the films then I'd say it's a pass.

Anyone interested in a barely used copy? $7 shipped in the US.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Actually...all the others show up as "progressive" on my player and this one was "interlaced." So no, it's different.

Just have to confirm this again when i get home.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Stephen,

WOW, you're actually the first person I've heard that didn't enjoy the bonus DVD. Personally, I had more fun watching it than most of the movies I've rented/bought lately. Hell, I watched "A Musical Journey" and "National Treasure" last night and the Star Wars disc was much more entertaining IMHO.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
They are all 480i. All comercial DVDs are 480i. A progressive scan dvd player deinterlaces 480i material and outputs it as 480p. That's how it works. Perhaps you've inadvertantly switched your player to interlaced mode, but outside of some hard to find demo material there are no DVDs whos video is actually 480p native.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Stephen,

WOW, you're actually the first person I've heard that didn't enjoy the bonus DVD.

Well, I guess I'm the second, because I thought the thing was pretty boring for the most part. I liked the music, obviously, but that is the sole redeeming value of the disc. Definitely not "Home Theater Demo" material, just nice 5.1 renderings of classic SW themes, unfortunately spoiled by dialog snippets.

And whoever produced this set obviously has some sort of fetish for Leia in her slave garb outfit - how many different times do we see it on this disc? There's one piece of drawn artwork in particular of "Slave Leia" laying down, arching her back, that seems pulled off some Erotic Star Wars alt.dork.newsgroup.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
The conversion to progressive is handled by either the player or the display device. In other words, the player/display is the active link in the conversion, not a passive one (like a AV receiver that identifies a particular sound format). As was pointed out, all commercial DVDs are native 480i (otherwise, how would you play back a progressive disc on an analog display?)

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Sam, I also had the same exact thing happen to me. I emailed the tech website. Hopefully, I'll get an answer when I check my email tonight. I really wish they would have just added it to the cd. I bought mine at Target specifically for that bonus track.

CraigL

Screenwriter

Haven't switched ANYTHING. When I look at the "info" on my malata it says "interlaced." If I put in my star wars original discs, it says "progressive."

These discs are not progressive. Check Dave Mack's posts in the ROTS thread. He said the same thing.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I got it today, and the track listings aren't bad at all. Maybe someone at Lucas got the hint from past sdtrks. :D

CraigL

Screenwriter
Listen...argue with me all you want but these discs are NOT mastered correctly. My Malata says "disc type" and then says progressive when discs are properly 16:9 and when they are not or are non-anamorphic, tends to say Interlaced. THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THESE DVD's. I just watched it again and any time there is a pan or stars are shown, the screen tends to shimmer. The PQ is definitely lacking.

For more info, see this link:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...25#post2662425

CraigL

Screenwriter
And to add to this...the bit rate is also much lower than the "released" dvd's of the films. It hovers around 5 and dips frequently.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The disc might be mastered incorectly. It might be bitrate, especially since there's an uncompressed 2ch version of the sound. I'm not trying to dispute that. All i've been saying is that the feature Star Wars films are, like every other comercial release dvd, presented in a 480i (interlaced) format, not 480p or any other progressive format.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks