Star Wars DVDs on Ebay

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mikey Ber, Nov 3, 2001.

1. Mikey Ber

Mikey Ber Stunt Coordinator

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Don't know if these are really Legit or not- but they are CVDs not DVDs- which means they look worse than VHS.
    I would say that you shouldn't waste your money- there are a hundred great films coming out every month on DVD, enought to hold you until George gets around to releasing his films.
    -Vince
    ------------------
    http://www.musicianassist.com
    AIM: VinceMaskeeper
    Do you want SOUTH PARK on DVD in order, rather than themed sets? Join our overwhelming majority!!

3. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    Any DVD release of Star Wars films other than The Phantom Menace are illegal bootlegs and are not to be discussed on this forum.
    I am not familiar with VCDs so I do not know if there were legal versions of VCDs released. If there were, they are most likely sub-par MPEG versions which are roughly the equivalent of a bad VHS tape, from what I hear. Once again, I am not familiar enough with VCDs to know this, though.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection Casa del Clint

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

5. Mikey Ber

Hi Clinton
    got to go, have a hair cut appointment.

6. Mikey Ber

thanks Vince,
    but your feedback follows you when you change your ebay identity. But if you are intellegent enough, you can get around it.
    Mike
    thanks again.

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

8. Ian Wilson

Ian Wilson Agent

I believe VCD's are popular in Asia because of the climate the high humidity tends to rot VHS tapes.
    Ian

9. Mikey Ber

Vince, feedback used to follow you, now you have to tell it to follow you. Ebay must have changed it. This guy most likely did have negative feedback. I never buy off people who have little or no feedback. Never got burnt, hope that day never comes. thanks for all your help.
    Mike

10. donovan_chin

donovan_chin Stunt Coordinator

Another thing about VCDs are that they are P&S.

11. Mikey Ber

p&s.............peepee&sh*t

12. Mark Gurney

Mark Gurney Stunt Coordinator

VCD's (Video Compact Discs) are funny, in that video quality in some are better than their VHS cousins, while other are seriously lacking. Most SVCD's (Super VCD) have better quality than VHS or VCD. According to many reviews of the Star Wars Trilogy VCD, the video quality is very good on this 6 CD set.
    Heres a review: http://www.theforce.net/holonet/tril...vcd_review.htm
    If your DVD player supports VCD, then I say go for it. We have no idea when Mr. Lucas is going to release his glorious trilogy on our favorite medium. This VCD set seems to be a good way to enjoy the movies in Dolby Surround without wearing out our VHS copies (although it is in P&S). But I wouldn't get it from E-bay. Below is a link to an online VCD retailer that has it for $25.50. Almost $15 less that that joker on E-bay.
    http://www.allvcd.com/
    If you would like more information on the VCD format, check out the link below:
    http://www.vcdhelper.com/vcd.htm
    Mark
    [Edited last by Mark Gurney on November 03, 2001 at 03:08 PM]
    [Edited last by Mark Gurney on November 03, 2001 at 03:09 PM]
    [Edited last by Mark Gurney on November 03, 2001 at 03:12 PM]

13. Mikey Ber

Mark, you are a gentleman. thank you. Why is G. Lucas not releasing star wars on DVD? He released it for VHS, why not a present format like DVD. He can release the original now, and five years from now do a "gold edition" and make even more money. He makes more money on the star war toys then VHS sales. I think I read something like 5 billion off of the toy sales alone.

14. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Cause Lucas is a meglomanical control freak who won't let anybody touch them without being directly involved in every aspect. Since he is involved with Episode 2 right now he chooses to leave them on the shelf while all of us fans have to wait for the next 2 episodes to be released in the theaters first before devoting some time to making these DVDs available to us. IMO.

15. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

16. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

---once, i asked him if i could direct Episide III, but he said that he wanted to do it! what a control freak!----
    You too!! That's exactly what he told me too.....the bastich!! [​IMG]

17. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

These are legitimate VCDs, however they are currently availiable and can be obtained much cheaper at allvcd.com. I myself own this set and find it quite enjoyable. However, be aware that these are P&S Special Edition versions of the movie. They do, however, include the Episode II preview found on the most recent VHS release. The sound kicks the VHS tapes' collective ass, and the picture is sharper (but no more detailed - pixelated) than the VHS tapes. If you have the widescreen tapes, I wouldn't reccommend replacing them. The speeder chase in ROTJ is sonically awesome on these, however.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    My Preorders
    My Wishlist
    Potter is coming...

18. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

It's annoying that they don't produce anamorphic widescreen editions. That would at least get round the resolution problem somewhat.
    ------------------
    My band is @ http://www.mokita.net
    My Novelty Coasters

19. Coressel

Coressel Supporting Actor

"He can release the original now, and five years from now do a "gold edition" and make even more money."
    Then everybody would still call him a greedy sack of shit.

20. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

I think the main reason that he is not releasing the OT is that he is waiting to see how the next two films turn out. After which, he will make further adjustments to the OT to help "smooth out" the transition between them and the prequels.
    I don't care about how many more adjustments he makes, I just wish that I could take comfort in knowing that one day, the original trilogy would be available on DVD.
    ------------------
    -Dwayne
    [Edited last by Dwayne on November 03, 2001 at 11:30 PM]