Star Wars Definitive LDs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yoshi Sugawara, Oct 6, 2001.

1. Yoshi Sugawara

Yoshi Sugawara Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased the Definitive Star Wars Trilogy CAV LDs at this big second hand retailer (Amoeba in SF), for about $45, but it didn't include the box that holds all 3 sets of the movies, or a hardcover book. I just went ahead and bought it but I have a few questions:
    - is it somewhat worthless now?
    - sound: is it in Dolby ProLogic? or in plain 'stereo'?
    Thanks!

2. Mike Walker

Mike Walker Auditioning

I don't think any version of the original Trilogy on LD is worthless. I think you got a good deal, the book isn't that big of a deal.
    The sound is PCM stereo and can be decoded into Pro-Logic.

3. Brent Cantrell

Brent Cantrell Stunt Coordinator

4. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

If you try to sell them you'll have a hard time getting your money back since the entire set can be had for $50-$100 on Ebay. I think, however, that it's worth keeping them, if nothing more than as a reference point for what changes are coming. The book, as mentioned, is no big deal - it just deals with George Lucas and his various film projects and not to any great depth. If the book centered on the Star Wars trilogy only it would be worth quite a bit, so you're not missing much. But - the box is kinda neat. Too bad that wasn't included.
    ------------------
    They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
    They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
    - Napoleon XIV
    [Edited last by alan halvorson on October 07, 2001 at 09:30 AM]

5. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    If you want the book, you can buy an updated version of it here .
    Neil
    ------------------
    "Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran
    [Edited last by Neil S. Bulk on October 07, 2001 at 09:40 AM]

6. Yoshi Sugawara

Yoshi Sugawara Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the replies! I don't think I'm going to sell this anytime soon, but just wanted to know the value of it. I actually don't have an LD player yet, but I'm planning on swiping my parents' old Pioneer LaserKaraoke LD player in exchange for a DVD player....