Star Wars Definitive Editon question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy Jones, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Jeremy Jones

Jeremy Jones Stunt Coordinator

I've ordered the Star Wars Definitive editon laserdisc and was wondering about the audio. Is one of the analog channels the soundtrack and the other the commentary, or is the digital channel the only soundtrack? I'm curious because I have an older Sony LD1550 that only has analog. Thanks for any info!

2. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

Someone else can confirm (I'm in NY right now on B-ness, and the set is in my permanent residence elsewhere), but I think the analog is the commentary, and the soundtrack is on the PCM Digital tracks.

Regards,

Dan

3. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    i borrowed this collection from a friend last month. movie audio is pcm, commentary is analog. (althought the commentary is rather thin and dissapointing.

4. Jeremy Jones

Jeremy Jones Stunt Coordinator

So I'll get to hear the commentary, but no soundtrack, huh? May need to get a new laserdisc player.

5. Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman Second Unit

Hello all. While we're at it, does anyone know what some of the glitches were found in some versions of this box set and how to determine them. I have the 3 THX CLV discs, but I'd like to have the box as long as it is not glitchy. I heard the term "rolling bars" used once to describe the video. What exactly would that be? Thanks and may the force be with you.

AJ

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

As I recall, there were two reported errors in the first pressing of the Definitive Edition (gotta love that name!):
    1. Rolling bars. This looks exactly like it sounds: horizontal bands that "roll" up the screen continuously. I believe it was finally traced to some artifact of the THX test signals (this was one of the earliest THX LDs), was most evident on Star Wars, and was considered a fluke. FWIW, I never saw it. Then again, it's been a while since I watched the Definitive Edition.
    2. Missing footage from Empire. It's about 13 seconds at the beginning of side 3. The missing footage isn't terribly important (Leia doing some welding), but for those who know the movie by heart, any omission is painful. My set had this mistake, and I ultimately was able to exchange the one disc for a replacement.
    There may be other glitches, but those are the two I remember.
    M.

7. Jon D

Jon D Stunt Coordinator

This is an unrelated topic. I just recently acquired a Pioneer CLD-990. This player will play digital PCM tracks, right?

8. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

9. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I've owned four of these box sets, both early and late editions, and I've never seen this "rolling bar" problem. I firmly believe this is player related.
    Jon: While I'm not familiar with your machine, I'm darned certain yours will play the digital tracks (does it play CD's?). Now, whether it will play AC-3 tracks is another question - you must have an "RF" output to play those.
    Sam: You should see Leia no matter what at the beginning of disc 2, side 1 of The Empire Strikes Back. If you see Leia welding, just before Han comes in and she calls him a "scoundrel", you've got the corrected disc. If you don't see Leia at all, you've got a really unique copy.
    Here's a site on Definitive Collection problems.

10. Michael Reuben

11. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds
    The Pioneer CLD-990 plays digital audio. It's from 1991 or so (that's when I bought mine new). Mine still works great. A real workhorse.
    Sadly, no AC-3 RF output on it, but hey, no one was thinking of that in 1991. [​IMG]

12. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

I do remember the "rolling bars" problem. I seem to remember that if you have a player that allows "luminance adjustment", you can get rid of the bars. It's been years since I watched these discs though, so I cannot remember for sure.

Regards,

Dan

13. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

Ouuphhh! Yes I have Leia on side 3!

14. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

Does the Definitive Collection have a director's commentary throughout the film? Why does this beautiful box set not go for more on ebay? It seems the value has been dropping. It may be the best version that will have the original cut of the 3 films before the added effects of the special editions? I'm certain, when it does arrive on dvd, it will be the special edition versions but I could be wrong.

15. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds
    Perhaps their relatively low value is because they do not have Dolby Digital tracks? The Spec.Ed. box versions do.

16. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

Yes but some say PCM sounds better! [​IMG]

17. Michael Reuben

18. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

19. Rusty Ray

Rusty Ray Second Unit

Jeremy, i think you may be talking about analog outputs vs digital ones. even if you have analog outputs it should still play the digital and analog tracks, unless you dont have a button on the remote that says analog/digital. on my pioneer it says digital on the display, and if i toggle to the commentary, the digital logo disappears... hope this helps..

20. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter