Star Wars Definitive Collection LDs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom-G, Sep 1, 2001.

1. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    I own the Star Wars Definitive Collection Laserdisc set, but I'm wondering if I should sell it or keep it, so your advice will be greatly appreciated.
    I purchased this set two years ago for $100 because I wanted to have the trilogy in the CAV format. Currently, I have a Pioneer CLD-59 (thanks to Corbin Stirn) and the THX, remastered trilogy that makes CAV discs irrelevant because the player will pause CLV discs clearly as if I was watching a DVD.
    I'm not sure I need the definitive collection and I would rather let someone else who is looking for this set have it. What do you think? Should I hold on to it?
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

2. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I agree wtih Dave. This is definitely something to keep. Even if you prefer the SEs, which to some extent I do, its still nice to have the originals, plus you get the supplements that may or may not be released on DVD.

3. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    Dave, I already own the original versions (the THX remastered) so that puts me at three sets; the Special Edition, The Definitive Collection and the THX Remastered version.
    Just for record, I also prefer the Special Editions, Dave. Except for the Greedo scene, the Jabba CGI and Luke screaming as he descends in Cloud City.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

4. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Tom: Does your Definitive Collection have the corrected Empire Strikes Back disc? If so, it's a lot more valuable than the average set. If you don't know what I'm talking about, this set was originally released with about seven seconds of missing footage. It's at the beginning of disc 2, side 1, where Leia calls Han a scoundrel. If you saw Leia welding just before, then you have a corrected disc.
    Either way, I'd keep it although I will say that Ebay prices are currently on the rise for both the Definitive Collection and Special Edition - now would be the best time to sell.
    ------------------
    They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
    They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
    - Napoleon XIV

5. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    Alan, I was not aware that there was footage excluded, nor was I aware that there was a corrected version. Immediately after reading your post, I put that disc in my player to see which version I have and sure enough, it does have Leia welding, so it is the corrected version. Thanks for the info, Alan! I was hoping that you too would give me your opinion.
    ARRGH! I can't make a decision on this set. It's frustrating. I don't want to regret selling it a few years down the road, but at the same time, I haven't watched it in a long, long time since I have the aforementioned LD player, I've been watching the other trilogy. I guess I could wait til the prices go up higher--if they ever do.
    Thanks for the input everyone. I do appreciate it!
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

6. John Wielgosz

John Wielgosz Stunt Coordinator

As someone who owns three variants of the SW Trilogy (Definitive, THX CLV, and SE), I would never part with any of them. The value I hold for the Definitive set is higher than what I could collect for it monetarily. I will always hold onto the original editions as they are the films that formed my childhood. (Scary? Yes.) I think the SE trilogy is an interesting variant of the films, but not a true replacement of them.

7. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Keep it - you will come to regret it if you don't. I have a lot of LDs and Dvds I haven't watched for quite a while - too many I haven't watched at all - and I'm keeping them. If you do decide to sell, be certain to emphasize that your's is the corrected one (most people don't know about this error). The last one I saw like on Ebay that was promoted as such (which has been quite a while) went for over $150. I would expect nothing less and you'll probably get more.
    I own two copies, one with and one without. Now and again I get the urge to sell one but I haven't done it and probably never will.
    ------------------
    They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
    They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
    - Napoleon XIV

8. Kevin Matthews

Kevin Matthews Stunt Coordinator

what extra content does the box set give you?
    ------------------
    Kevin Matthews
    No sir....I don't like it! - M. Horse

9. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    Kevin, it has commentary by various people who worked on the film. The tracks seem to be mostly a hodgepodge of interviews as opposed to most DVD commentary tracks that contain screen-specific commentary. It also contains still galleries. Some decent extras, but nothing that I can't absolutely can't do without.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

10. StephenC

StephenC Stunt Coordinator

The extras I really liked in the set was the trailers for all three movies including Revenge of the Jedi.In the preview trailer for A New Hope,it is quite odd seeing Star Wars footage without John Williams music.It's just not the same.

11. Geoffrey_A

Geoffrey_A Second Unit

I would tell you to sell, it, but that's just cuz I want to buy it [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Geoff
    Now with Kung-Fu grip and realistic facial hair!

12. Mike Walker

Mike Walker Auditioning

I own all three sets as well. Actually I have picked up all three within the last 2 years. I would hold on too it.
    I doubt the extras on the set will ever be included on a future dvd set.
    Plus it is a nice big boxed set...you don't see that kinda stuff on dvd, I actually got into LD after dvd.

13. Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

Interesting. The corrected version has more value? I should have replaced my original disc when Fox offered an exchange. I thought at the time that the misprint (like a postage stamp) would become the more valuable version.
    Oh well, I have no plans to sell, and have the CLV versions, since they were going for about $8 apiece a couple of years ago.

14. Hubert

Hubert Second Unit

Considering I paid $250 for my Definitive Collection, I wouldn't accept less. I bought it the first day it came out. Keep it! Don't sell it or you'll be sorry.