Star Wars Bootleg raids this morning

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by oscar_merkx, May 14, 2002.

1. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

I think this is a very good, taking action against bootlegging
    Head to the following story over at
    DVDTimes
    -Admin Note: I fixed the link. Enjoy [​IMG]
    Oscar Merkx

2. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Link doesn't work. Now, if Ebay would get on the ball and get rid of all those Attack of the Clones VCDs clogging the laserdisc section and I suppose everywhere else.

3. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
  4. Joe McCabe

Joe McCabe Second Unit

Nice move, but ultimately, it won't make even a small dent.

Episode 2 is ALL OVER the internet. Eventually, Hollywood is going to take drastic measures to prevent this type of stuff. The internet as we know it is about to change

5. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

6. BrettB

BrettB Producer

7. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

The following quote is from the link Nathan posted above:

8. Chris Xolotl

Chris Xolotl Second Unit

I remember watching a camcorder version of Return of the Jedi way back when. It was so funny and worthless. I can't imagine things have changed too much since then. It was like watching MST2K with all the heads and commentary.

The window between theatrical and home release has been shrinking for some movies as slim as three months (for real stinkers). So maybe this will help stave off some of this activity.

Sh(9 I need my caffeine..

9. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    For the last three years or so that movies have been readily available for download on the web, I have always been surprised that nothing has been done about this.

I am wondering, what prevents the MPAA from getting people who have these files on their irc servers arrested? Anyone know?

Also, how come storeowners outside of the US, especially in Asia, can simply sell bootlegs? Same for the people in Manhattan: why don't they get arrested?

If someone could briefly explain this, please. It will be much appreciated.

10. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Michael, supposedly the copyright holder must make a specific complaint about each person/shop selling.

I was at a LARGE comic convention last weekend, and people were selling BTTF, Star Wars, Harry Potter, LOTR etc etc openly on the floor, despite the no bootleg clause in their dealer contract. I asked a cop to please arrest them, but he couldn't without a court order. Eventually my complaints to the con (and probably my call to the MPAA) got them to pull the hollywood boots, but of course the Asian stuff still remained. DC Comics told me they'd already called Warner, but they didn't know if the lawyer SWAT team would arrive in time, and that "next year we're going to be inspecting before the show and spot checking"

If I were Ebay, I'd just create a script that kills anything with "Star Wars" and "DVD" in the title. (Yes, it should look for the word "Phantom" to except things)

The bottom line is that Ebay is very careful to NOT be able to be implicated in the hordes of bootlegs that fester there. What the MPAA needs to do is form an Ebay monitoring squad, whose mission is to stop these sales. Sure they go up and down fast, but it's getting ludicrous

11. Dave H

Dave H Producer

12. Greg Rowe

Greg Rowe Stunt Coordinator

Greg

13. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

14. Butch C

Butch C Second Unit

15. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

Come on, people! Why are you guys protecting hollywood that much? Haven't you noticed those people are filthy stinking rich? They can afford to loose that little bit of money. I get sick when I hear what those people make. It makes me sad to think about the reasons why most of them make movies, and wheter they are silently laughing behind my back about it.

I buy a good deal of dvd's (about 300 over the last 2 years). But I've also seen a fair share of divx movies. Heck, I consider them to be a sort of sample to the DVD. I don't have time to go to the cinema. But my broadband internet connection and my Easynews account assure me of the latest movies. And I buy what I like.

This may sound blasphemous to most of you, but I've bought Star Wars IV, V and VI on DVD. Mainly because Lucas won't release them. When I was a lot younger (I'm 25 now), a friend of mine had ET on tape. This was during that ET-free period between the theatrical release and the first broadcast on tv one enchanted christmass on the BBC. We watched that betamax tape a lot! To me, these arn't crimes. I will be the first (or at least among the first) to buy these titles once they are released.

Please, don't get me wrong, but we're all guilty of a little piracy here and there. And piracy will always exist. There's no way you can change or govern the internet to stop it.

And heck, if people want to ruin AOTC for themselves, let them go right ahead! I did with the Phantom Menace (although in the end there wasn't that much to ruin). I'll never do it again.

16. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

*sigh* Here we go again.
    When someone can prove to me that every bootleg copy is meant to usurp the purchase of the real thing when it comes out or to replace the need to go to the theater, then I will whole-heartedly advocate the stomping out of piracy. But AFAIC, this bitching and moaning about the selling of really crappy copies of a movie is silly.
    There is no replacement for the real thing. I know that. You know that. And I'd like to think that anyone with half of a brain knows that. But if someone buys a crappy video, that is not proof-positive that the same person will not see it in theaters and will not buy the real DVD/video when it comes out. I would like to think that at best the crappy version is just a stop-gap until the real thing comes out on video or DVD. Granted, that's not going to be the case with everyone but I hope that it is the case with the vast majority.
    Now, someone making a profit off of it, that does cross the line. But just because someone buys or downloads a movie does NOT mean that he (the purchaser) has no intention whatsoever of buying the DVD when it comes out or even seeing the movie in the theater.
    This issue is NOT black-and-white where one download or bootleg purchase always and forever equates to a lost sale. I do wish that it would stop being painted as such.

17. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Maybe they should frisk people and install metal detectors at theaters?

18. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

19. John CW

John CW Supporting Actor

It's true that people do that, but they're generally hard-core HT addicts like ourselves! [​IMG] I'd happily buy a bootleg DVD of the second series of Twin Peaks, but I'd also be first in the queue when they're officially released, trust me!
    There's always some hyprocrisy and outright lying when it comes to Hollywood (or any major company) complaining about bootlegs. They always say "we lose x billion a year to copyright theft" but anyone with two braincells thinks: "What's the guarantee that all those people who picked up a bootleg for a TENTH of the price would have paid FULL price if they were to anyway??". Bootlegs often allow people to "experiment" and get to see stuff they wouldn't normally think was worth their money.
    There obviously IS losses due to bootlegging, but I seriously don't think it's as bad as people say.
    Anyways,
    ~ John

20. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Post not deleted by a moderator. Feel free to edit! [​IMG]