What's new

Disney+ Star Wars: Andor with Diego Luna (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
We watched the first two episodes, and I think I’m in my own now. My wife found it dull and filed with a bunch of characters she didn’t like at all. She watched all the other new Star Wars stories with me, but this lost her.

I side with your wife for the moment. However, I have been reading on multiple social media posts, as well as here, that the third episode really clinches the series. I am giving it one more episode. Will check back...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I side with your wife for the moment. However, I have been reading on multiple social media posts, as well as here, that the third episode really clinches the series.
I liked all of the episodes but I'll freely admit that putting the first three episodes up at one time was a smart idea because the series does take until episode 3 to get going.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry some folks aren't enjoying the series. I for one am ALL IN.

Really enjoyed the fourth episode. Visually a very strong episode with a bit of country mouse and a bit of city mouse (in reference to the scenery,) We have some wilderness exteriors on the planet Aldhani and also urban scenes on Coruscant. Both sequences are visually arresting with some wonderful production / set design on Coruscant.

We are introduced to a number of new characters in this episode some of which will have real significance as the series progresses. Genevieve O'Reilly returns to the Star Wars universe as Mon Mothma and is a most welcome presence in the show. (Loved her car in this episode, BTW.) The episode sets up the story line for a potentially multi-episode story arc involving a heist at an Imperial garrison. (I am so on board for a SPACE HEIST! I suppose it isn't technically space based, but I had fun typing those words.)

Easily the best thing I am watching right now.

BTW, nice foreshadowing of Rogue One by Luthen early in the episode. You'll know it when you hear it.

- Walter.

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
This is literally suffering from the same problem Rings of Power has. Slow as molasses plot with terminally unlikable characters and a main guy we can't really get interested in because
we already know he gets blown to smithereens by the Death Star.

On the bright side, unlike RoPooper, the acting ISN'T high school level and Tony Gilroy can properly string sentences together.

EDIT: Bless your hearts.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I keep hearing the critique that the series is flawed because we know the fate of the main character. There is all kinds of fictional content where outcomes are known. But that doesn't stop them from being effective, because the how matters as much as the what.

- Walter.

I think there is a lot of truth in that, and I won’t pre-emptively write off the show because of it.

But, to play devil’s advocate here, every single film and television Star Wars property currently being released or known to be in the pipeline takes place before the sequel trilogy. Every single one of these shows is taking place in an era of the SW universe where the ultimate outcomes are foregone conclusions. All of these shows are filling in the blanks between what we already know, rather than moving the narrative of the universe forward. I can’t speak for anyone else, but speaking for myself, that starts to make everything as a whole feel a little less urgent and consequential than it might if it was staking out new, forward moving territory. Will it stop me from trying out (and hopefully enjoying) this show as soon as I’m able to view it? No. But is it my first choice of what all new Star Wars shows should be? Also no.

It’s like, if every single new Marvel show and movie took place before Avengers Endgame instead of after it, that would start feeling a bit underwhelming after a while too.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Every single historical film, with some basis in actual fact, falls under the umbrella of 'filling in the blanks between what we already know'. Am I going to stop watching WWII films, Westerns, Civil War epics, Biblical films, etc. because we know the current state of the world? I think not. To be fair, that is a bigger stretch of time vs. the pre-BBY period in the Star Wars universe, but that criticism can be leveled at any fictional work depicting events from a "known past".

While there is an argument to be made for extending the SW narrative forward, I believe the universe contained therein is so rich with characters, worlds, unexplored plots, intrigue, etc. that these 'fill in the blanks' shows have the potential to be incredibly entertaining. At least based on my reaction to The Mandalorian and Andor.

- Walter.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Wondering if they can make the Empire's bureaucratic in-fighting compelling viewing in the Star Wars universe.

That said, I did like the 4th episode more than the first 3 episodes.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
To followup on Patrick's comment regarding the Empire bureaucracy...

In some of the Star Wars content we see an Empire that is depicted as something akin to the keystone cops in terms of its ineptitude. ( They can't even properly deactivate a Hyper Drive on a Corellian Light Freighter, or more egregiously spot a ten year old child hiding under a cloak. :) )

In this series I believe we are seeing a more efficient and ruthless bureaucracy in action. By focusing on the real fear of the Empire by the civilian population and those opposing the Empire we are getting a different sort of sense of menace which is focused more on the embodiment of the Empire vs. individual agents of the Empire such as Vader or the Emperor. While the Pre-Mor security team displayed quite a bit of incompetence during their attempt to apprehend Cassian and Luthen, I expect such will not be the case with the Empire. On Aldhani we see the genuine fear that grips Vel when a patrolling Tie Fighter is encountered. The Empire is not playing around in this series.

- Walter.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am constantly thinking, as I watch each episode, this is Paul McCartney in space

e110387d1ca486a4ba282f28a0ef3ca1.jpg

But seriously, now into Episode 4, I am enjoying the series more. It's a slow burn for certain but enjoying its characters.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I am constantly thinking, as I watch each episode, this is Paul McCartney in space

View attachment 155491

But seriously, now into Episode 4, I am enjoying the series more. It's a slow burn for certain but enjoying its characters.
It's been almost 20 years since Diego Luna was in this great western:

1664454259206.png

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

View attachment 155491

And just like that, Ron shows us the movie we didn't know we needed. Now I want it! "Venus and Mars," indeed!

I thought episode 4 was terrific. Mon Mothma adds a lot here, and the scenes with her had tension that was gripping. (Her husband seems like a moron.)

I also liked how Andor is thrust into what a real rebellion cell would be like - cut off from everyone else, operating without a lot of knowledge of other cells or operations. Reminds me of Major Kira's true-to-life resistance cell operations on Deep Space Nine.

This show is the most mature Star Wars has ever been.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I keep hearing the critique that the series is flawed because we know the fate of the main character. There is all kinds of fictional content where outcomes are known. But that doesn't stop them from being effective, because the how matters as much as the what.

- Walter.
Exactly who cares if we know the fate of the character. That fate has nothing to do with this series and it just makes it more compelling to learn more about the character and what they did and accomplished.
The argument that its not interesting because we know the fate basically means they should never make a movie set in the past that is based on a true story because we already know that person dies.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
And just like that, Ron shows us the movie we didn't know we needed. Now I want it! "Venus and Mars," indeed!

I thought episode 4 was terrific. Mon Mothma adds a lot here, and the scenes with her had tension that was gripping. (Her husband seems like a moron.)

I also liked how Andor is thrust into what a real rebellion cell would be like - cut off from everyone else, operating without a lot of knowledge of other cells or operations. Reminds me of Major Kira's true-to-life resistance cell operations on Deep Space Nine.

This show is the most mature Star Wars has ever been.
Agree this is much deeper, darker and more mature Star Wars.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I can certainly see why some wouldn't like the series. If you're expecting typical Star Wars flash and action then so far this hasn't been for you. It's a very slow burn. I think episode 4 may have been 100% just walking and talking, and 0% any action. And I was riveted the entire time. I think this may actually be my favorite show out of the entire franchise. Yes, I am loving it that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks