What's new

Disney+ Star Wars: Andor with Diego Luna (1 Viewer)

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
This is a curious creative decision to make a show about a character who had zero charisma in Rogue One. Just another bland Disney Star Wars character so they're making a prequel to the prequel that was Rogue One. And on that note - why did Disney not consider a linear timeline for all of their shows on Plus? If you're not a ardent fan of Star Wars, you're going to have a somewhat difficult time piecing together the timeline of all these shows.
I think you are forgetting that Rogue One also included and incredibly charismatic android partner of Andor.

I think your fears of timeline confusion are bloated and imaginary. As long as they don't go full Witcher S1 (with no blatant indication that 3 different stories are taking place at 3 different times in the same season) they will be fine.

Last edited:

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
It matters now because it feels like that's all we're getting. Prequels. Back in 1999, the landscape was barren. Lucas always planned a prequel trilogy. It's not even a valid comparison, since he released episode 4 first (even before it was relabeled, he said as much).. This other stuff, like Andor, was done because people at Disney sat around and tried to figure out what they could mine. Where the gold is. And maybe there is gold in them there prequel hills, but I'm tired of prequels, especially prequels of prequels, especially the backstory of this character, who I forgot fifteen minutes after the movie. It isn't that I know he won't die as much as I know what his ultimate fate is. The writers of Obi Wan were hamstrung by it. I just don't get why Disney's knee jerk reaction is almost always to do a prequel. George Lucas *earned* the right to do it. Disney simply *has* the right to do it. That doesn't mean they nearly always should.

Well, that leads us into speculation:

1) The Mouse is gutless and doesn't want to take a risk on anything that isn't familiar and include some fan service to the classic trilogy. So Filoni hasn't strayed far from that time period. To contradict that, there was/is a High Age of the Jedi series planned.

2) Filoni is conservative and as a loyal Lucas' disciple is only playing in the sandbox Lucas already defined, for the most part. As a massive SW fan, he can easily find tons of stuff to mine within the Prequel and Sequel Trilogy boundaries.

3) Neither Filoni or The Mouse thinks there is much attraction to post Sequel Trilogy stories. They might be right. If you include the incessant and semi poisonous whining that was spawned by the sequel trilogy movies, it might be considered not worth the risk or effort to go in that direction.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

1) The Mouse is gutless and doesn't want to take a risk on anything that isn't familiar and include some fan service to the classic trilogy.
I'd put that on the audience waaaaaay more than Disney. Like any business, Disney will make anything that sells and everything that has had a positive fan reaction has been connected to Lucas' SW movies/TV show and anything that tried to do something different resulted in total hysterics from a segment of the fanbase. Disney is simply giving the people what they want.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

1) The Mouse is gutless and doesn't want to take a risk on anything that isn't familiar and include some fan service to the classic trilogy. So Filoni hasn't strayed far from that time period. To contradict that, there was/is a High Age of the Jedi series planned.

2) Filoni is conservative and as a loyal Lucas' disciple is only playing in the sandbox Lucas already defined, for the most part. As a massive SW fan, he can easily find tons of stuff to mine within the Prequel and Sequel Trilogy boundaries.

3) Neither Filoni or The Mouse thinks there is much attraction to post Sequel Trilogy stories. They might be right. If you include the incessant and semi poisonous whining that was spawned by the sequel trilogy movies, it might be considered not worth the risk or effort to go in that direction.
I think its number 3 especially after episodes 7-9.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
FZE4Ts-XgAArI0n

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
First 3 episodes air Sept. 21st

That's a bit more serious than I'd like from Star Wars (though it fits with the Cassian character and Rogue One) but it looks pretty great.

Also, I think it's too early in terms of the timeline but I hope they finally show how
Saw Gererra loses his leg and messed up his lungs.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Well, it sucks that it's delayed a few weeks (it was set for Aug. 31), but that looks amazing. Absolutely stunning. Very excited for this.
(I wonder if this pushes back the second season of The Bad Batch which is set for Sept 28).

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Well, it sucks that it's delayed a few weeks (it was set for Aug. 31), but that looks amazing. Absolutely stunning. Very excited for this.
(I wonder if this pushes back the second season of The Bad Batch which is set for Sept 28).
Yeah, this kinda stinks for me.

The plethora of new shows I’ve been enjoying over the Spring/Summer have mostly dried up and I was looking forward to this starting later this month. Also not a fan of releasing 3 at once. Since I prefer to have most series last as long as possible I don’t like compressing what would have been 3 weeks worth of viewing into one night. Also concerned this may mean a Bad Batch delay as well.

Agreed that it looks great though.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Considering that Rogue One is easily my favorite of the 'new' SW franchise films I am all on board for this series. Watched the Official Trailer this morning and it looked pretty great. Hopefully a more serious and adult approach to the SW universe after that last series.

- Walter.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I like the feeling of desperation I get from this, like it’s actual revolutionaries in action, a chance to see the rebellion we know from the OT. Our OT heroes sort of stumbled into the rebellion (Luke, Han and Chewie) and we never saw the nuts and bolts of building the whole thing. I’m getting that vibe from this.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
I am probably one of the few who only just mildly enjoyed Rogue One. From the trailer to the movie, it just never excited me. However, after watching the Andor trailer, Yowza! I am quite excited. It looks absolutely amazing.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I am probably one of the few who only just mildly enjoyed Rogue One. From the trailer to the movie, it just never excited me. However, after watching the Andor trailer, Yowza! I am quite excited. It looks absolutely amazing.

I'm one who only mostly liked Rogue One. I thought Jyn Ero was really interesting and I liked Felicity Jones a lot. However, I thought Cassian Andor was super boring and found Diego Luno to be like an anti-Oscar Issac: a total charisma vampire. I also didn't like the strange performance from Forest Whitaker (it was like he was in a totally different movie); the version of the character from The Clone Wars and Rebels is the superior version. Mads Mikkelsen and Ben Mendelsohn were stellar.

But the Rogue One teaser trailer with the klaxon ringing throughout? That was a total banger. One of the best trailers for anything in years.

This trailer also looks just incredible. Everything looks so...expensive! I'm willing to give Diego Luno another try. Though, I sort of wish the show focused more on Mon Mothma (however it seems she might have a central role despite the show's name).

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
From reading elsewhere, it looks like they didn't get Tudyk involved. Alas.
I could be wrong but I believe someone (maybe even Tudyk) said he wasn't in the first season. However, if this series is going to run up/come close to the events of Rogue One, it seems like K2-SO would have to be in the second season.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
If the series lives up to that trailer, I think we're all in for a treat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks