What's new

Disney+ Star Wars: Andor with Diego Luna (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I was wondering whether Cassian was going to use his knowledge about Narkina 5 to bargain for his life (or even have given some of the information to B2EMO to play at the funeral), but it didn't come up. Just offering to go all in with the rebellion was good enough.

I sort of feel like Luthen recognized that Cassian had evolved beyond his mercenary instincts which he saw early in the season and that he had been changed by his experiences. He (Cassian) was no longer operating in terms of self interest.

I'd also like to think that Maarva's speech made Luthen realize that he wasn't fighting his war alone which may have made him more conducive to taking Cassian into the movement.

Finally, a fellow like Luthen has to be pretty adept at sizing folks up, given his line of work.

- Walter.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Great Season finale it made me watch Rogue One again this weekend. I will watch the series again soon and the original trilogy, while we wait for Season 2.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I sort of feel like Luthen recognized that Cassian had evolved beyond his mercenary instincts which he saw early in the season and that he had been changed by his experiences. He (Cassian) was no longer operating in terms of self interest.

I'd also like to think that Maarva's speech made Luthen realize that he wasn't fighting his war alone which may have made him more conducive to taking Cassian into the movement.

Finally, a fellow like Luthen has to be pretty adept at sizing folks up, given his line of work.

- Walter.
Meh. Luthen was trying to recruit Cassian from the very first time he met him. He didn't need any motivation from Maarva.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
But by the finale, he was on Ferrix to kill Cassian as a loose end. I think Walter's point was he may have been swayed back to his original interest to recruit him based on Maarva's speech and the uprising by Ferrix in general.

When Luthen spoke with Vel on Ferrix, he discussed his plan to eliminate Cassian with her, not to recruit him. I am not saying that Maarva's speech was the sole factor in his reversal, but I do believe based on his facial expressions while listening to the speech and later surveying the uprising that this made him realize that things were in motion.

Cassian's meeting with him at the Fondor was a much bigger factor in his reversal of course, for reasons I mentioned in my prior post. Up until that point, Luthen had never expressed interest in recruiting him. Even when he introduced Cassian to Vel's team prior to the heist, he told Vel that because he was a mercenary they could get rid of him (paraphrasing.)

It may have been in the back of Luthen's mind, but it was never explicitly stated in season one. His only interest in Cassian was for the heist, not the rebellion.

- Walter.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
When Luthen spoke with Vel on Ferrix, he discussed his plan to eliminate Cassian with her, not to recruit him. I am not saying that Maarva's speech was the sole factor in his reversal, but I do believe based on his facial expressions while listening to the speech and later surveying the uprising that this made him realize that things were in motion.

Cassian's meeting with him at the Fondor was a much bigger factor in his reversal of course, for reasons I mentioned in my prior post. Up until that point, Luthen had never expressed interest in recruiting him. Even when he introduced Cassian to Vel's team prior to the heist, he told Vel that because he was a mercenary they could get rid of him (paraphrasing.)

It may have been in the back of Luthen's mind, but it was never explicitly stated in season one. His only interest in Cassian was for the heist, not the rebellion.

- Walter.
I will rewatch E3. My recollection is that Luthen went there as much to get the part as to meet Andor. I didn't get the impression it was for mercenary recruitment, but recruitment in general. He ends up paying him because its the only way he could get him to do the job. At that point Andor is a loner not looking to join a cause.

As for Luthen, he views all sorts of people as disposable, given possible situations. He pivoted from telling Saw in one episode to go support/rescue someone to telling Saw in the next meeting the op was cancelled telling Saw change of plans, the guy was expendable.

The fact that Vel was told Andor was expendable does not tell me that Andor was a single use tool, but on a leash.

As for Luthen going to take out Andor, that was on the premise he would get himself caught in an obvious trap and was a risk to IDing Luthen (and a few others). When Andor didn't get caught, then the greatest need for his elimination was gone. Once again Andor is a useful asset to recruit.

Last edited:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Luthen certainly is flexible and adapts to circumstances. On that we agree. Sampled episode four and after breaking the news to Vel about Cassian joining the team he tells her "That's the good thing about renting him. He's disposable."

Now Luthen may have been using the heist as an informal 'audition', but it was never explicitly stated. At that point in Cassian's character development (as you mentioned) he was strictly a loner and a mercenary and thought the idea of resistance was pointless. After all, that is the main focus of season one - how Cassian evolves into the Cassian of Rogue One.

- Walter.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Honest Trailer is up. I think it's been a minute since they had a good one, which I thought this one was.

Last edited:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Just finished the scene where Andor says goodbye to Maarva after she reveals she can no longer sit back and do nothing. This episode really gets to the heart of Andor's (second) childhood trauma seeing Clem killed, and the scene between Luna and Shaw is just gut wrenchingly perfect as they come to terms with their respective paths. My favorite moment between them is when Maarva asks if he heard about Aldhani, and he can barely stifle a grin over how moved she is by it. He wants so badly to tell her he was involved, to not be the aimless, troubled child he's been for so long, but he knows sharing that information would only put her in more danger.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I finally am able to start watching this show.
Been away from home for a few month and home now with the big tv and sound system.

Watched the first episode today.
It didn’t reel me in yet.
Can’t say I know what even happened in this episode.
He is looking for someone (sister?) and killed a couple of guys who tried to shake him down and a few flashbacks to when he was a kid.

Welp on to ep 2.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I finally am able to start watching this show.
Been away from home for a few month and home now with the big tv and sound system.

Watched the first episode today.
It didn’t reel me in yet.
Can’t say I know what even happened in this episode.
He is looking for someone (sister?) and killed a couple of guys who tried to shake him down and a few flashbacks to when he was a kid.

Welp on to ep 2.
The first three episodes are the weakest ones but I imagine that episodes 4, 5 and 6 will capture your interest.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The first three are fine if you treat them as a three-parter. :biggrin: But seriously, they should have just edited them as one long episode or "pilot movie," although them releasing them all at once is a sign they wanted people to watch them back-to-back.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The first three are fine if you treat them as a three-parter. :biggrin: But seriously, they should have just edited them as one long episode or "pilot movie," although them releasing them all at once is a sign they wanted people to watch them back-to-back.
I think I've said it here before but before the show started, I wondered why they were putting up three episodes at once and after I saw them, I understood that spreading those episodes over three weeks would have felt pretty slow to the audience.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Awesome episode.

Something that I had not thought of beforehand, but started to creep into my mind as the episode went on, was that the indigenous Dhani group would start their own secret revolt and screw up all the plans of the rebels. Turned out not to be the case, but there was great tension set up there.

The Eye was amazing looking.

I’m caught up to ep 7.
Watching episode 5 and then finishing 6 was when I finally clicked into this show.

So what was that Eye business all about?
Looked like they were firing single missiles into the sky then maybe 2 at a time.
Then thousands or more appeared.

What was it?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
It's a celestial event that occurs every three years and of religious significance for the Dhani people. I thought this was pretty well explained (and a few different ways) as soon as Andor joins the team in Ep. 4. It seems like you may have missed portions of an episode or two?

Ep. 4 at 37:53 Gorn describes what the Eye is.

Last edited:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The Eye is to quote Nemik a "recurrent band of crystallized noctilucent micro densities".

Essentially it is a formation of micro particles in space and every three years the planet Aldhani passes through this belt of particles. The interaction with Aldhani's atmosphere creates the visual phenomenon seen in episode six. Vel and her team planned the heist of the payroll to coincide with this celestial event to use it for cover for their escape.

As Cameron noted, this is covered during the planning of the mission.

- Walter.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Yes, I really like Karis Nemik.

Screen Shot 2022-12-17 at 3.44.25 PM.png

""And then remember this: the Imperial need for control is so desperate because it is so unnatural. Tyranny requires constant effort. It breaks, it leaks. Authority is brittle. Oppression is the mask of fear. Remember that. And know this, the day will come when all these skirmishes and battles, these moments of defiance, will have flooded the banks of the Empire's authority and then there will be one too many. One single thing will break the siege. Remember this. Try."
―Karis Nemik

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks